Why don't guys take females guitarist seriously??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWlondnr

The Fly
I was in a guitar shop the other day and this bloke treated me like I was some stupid little girl without a clue about guitars.
It really piss me off, and when I asked him about guitar tuning pegs/machine heads he was being really insincere.

They just think their better! Why don't they ever take us seriously!

The same reason they treat us like idiots when we want to buy a car.

When I bought my new car a couple of years ago, I knew exactly what model I wanted and how much I was willing to spend. I think I scared the shit out of some of the sales people because I knew so much.

I ended up buying from a really nice guy who treated me with complete respect and listened to what I was saying. I refer friends to him now because he was so stellar! :up:

I take Bonnie Raitt seriously, among a few other female guitarists. :)
It's a misnomer that girls can't rock or
play guitars, etc.

Last edited:
It's a form of latent (and sometimes blatant) sexism that never has a LOGICAL basis. It's very unfortunate and unnecessary. I won't even get started on how I got treated when working in an office environment by men, but whatever. :mad:

They're threatened.

Men truly secure in themselves--in their musical talent, their athletic ability or their intelligence--will respect a fellow musician/athlete/co-worker/ regardless of their sex.

My sister and I ran into it when we played ice hockey. I've run into it at school. She's run into it in guitar stores too. The men who disrespect you and your abilities are really just desperate to prove their own. They depend on their gender to define themselves and their abilities. They need to eliminate more than half the population to stay ahead of the game!

This guy was one of those. Just pity him and hope that he's a dying breed. :wink:

:eyebrow: That's it!1 swi! They are threaten, the same way when I got into driving truck(that's 18 wheelers to the rest of you!)It's 'The boys Club' whatever field it is, and they don't want women coming in there 'just to get the money, and not really do the work'! Yet-Women changed the face of trucking in America!! We have a better driving record then they do, because we won't take stupid chances like they will! And, we made truck stops, cleaner, safer at night with added lighting, and definetly, better food, and , can't think of the word, but Male female, whereas before we had to use the Same! Ugh!! So-my comment to you-is go to another shop-not all men think the same!! There are some men that like female musicians!:wink: They will like your money, too! That's the bottom line, you don;t Have to spend your money there!! Good Luck-oh, and Rock On...!

Bonnie Raitt kicks ass on guitar. :up: So does Nancy Wilson from Heart.

Just wait, you'll be a big star one day and that moron from the guitar shop will still be...a moron working in a guitar shop.

JessicaAnn said:
The same reason they treat us like idiots when we want to buy a car.

...or a computer.

I went to BEst Buy to look around and like 5 different guys came up to me asking me such dumb questions and trying to tell me what the processor does. Finally, I got pissed and said I freakin fix computers for a living and I can pick one out on my own thank you.

At work I often get this:

*ring ring*

Me: Good afternoon! Calvin HelpDesk, this is Lies speaking. Could I have your name please?

Person: *gives name* I need to talk to someone who can help me with --------.

Me: I can help you with that sir/ma'am. What problem are you experiencing?

Person: Wellp, I think I should just speak to a technician right away.....

Frick! I AM the :censored: technician! Not only am I a technician, I am the SENIOR technician! assholes....

:madspit:

BrownEyedBoy said:
(Is your name really Lies? If it is, that is such a great name!)

No, it's Bob! J/k, yes, for the 239875893487592387th time, my name is REALLY Lies. But since I'm Dutch and come from a Dutch speaking family (besides my generation), it's NOT pronounced like "lies" as in "she lies about everything". The only thing worse then listening to non-Dutch/Germanic speaking people trying to pronounce my name is listening to them trying to pronounce what my mom called me, Liesje ("little Lies"). Figure that one out! :wink:

Last edited:
I know what you feel..
Have you ever seen the guy's faces when your band is up on stage?? It's like "uggh.. there comes the girls.."
they just think we can't do music... But it's fun when your girl band wins the band battle... :wink:

I had to face 8 guys in a music school, I was the only girl, but I didn't mind at all, they were all cute and hot... :drool:
That was heaven for me! :wink:

Girl guitarists :up:

I've been playing an acoustic guitar for about a year and I got my first electric guitar last month. The first two shops I went to, I got treated like an idiot. It is so aggravating! It's not exactly like guitars are cheap. I think the guys who work/run these places are the losers here.

Sadly, it's not just men who perpetuate that, either. My grandmother and my aunt both asked my why I didn't take up a more "feminine" instrument. I told them it's damn hard to play rock'n'roll on a flute.

If it hadn't been for my guitar teacher (who is a man), I may have given it up. He told me that he wishes more girls would say to hell with the stereotype and do it. He thinks they make amazing guitarists, and they are usually more open to learning different styles and techniques.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

...or a computer.

I went to BEst Buy to look around and like 5 different guys came up to me asking me such dumb questions and trying to tell me what the processor does. Finally, I got pissed and said I freakin fix computers for a living and I can pick one out on my own thank you.

At work I often get this:

Frick! I AM the :censored: technician! Not only am I a technician, I am the SENIOR technician! assholes....

:madspit:

Wheeee must unlurk. ;) Don't even get me started....same kind of job, same idiotic phone calls. :mad: Yeah, it's a female voice, I must automatically be the secretary then, not a senior tech. :censored: :yuck:

I sooo do not miss those days.

Same crap at Best Buy sometimes too... I usually just try to ignore/hide from the sales dudes though.

I'm a guy who's secure in his half-assed noodling guitar skills. I decided I wanted to learn how to play guitar a couple of years ago and started going to guitar related forums. U2 was/is a prime influence so I found this forum when they adopted the U2 guitar archive where I always went for tabs.

When I started posting here, it was on the guitar related forums (TC&TT and EBTTRT) I assumed most posters were guys ( I thought you were too SWlonder) because that's what I've encountered in all the guitar related forums I've been to.

My point is, if I have one, that most guy dominated guitar forums suck. Go to one and you'll get pointless argumentative debate over a bunch of arcane crap no one really cares about. I should have known the guitar forums here had better gender representation because there's actually talk about making music.

ylimeU2 said:
I told them it's damn hard to play rock'n'roll on a flute.

Jethro Tull did it...

but I guess that doesn't count, cause he got a sex change.

Or does it count for more now then? :scratch: :wink:

^Didn't say it was impossible. Just that it was hard.

And since it's a flute, and not a guitar, I don't think it matters if he's/she's a man or a woman. :huh:

I've confused myself again.

Back
Top Bottom