which would you go for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exercise, limit yourself to a hard amount of calories/day, and cut out ALL junk food. Ordering pizza a couple of times a week will not help you lose weight.

Also, if you're a soda fan cut that out completely.

I have used Weight Watchers in the past and it really works well and it is a well-respected program. It is the one program where you can eat real food (not prepackaged meals like Nutrisystem) and it encourages exercise.

The thing about WW is that it teaches portion control and to make smart food choices. It truly teaches you a a healthy way of life and a positive way of looking at food.

I have friends that have tried Nutrisystem, but it really didn't teach them anything about healthy eating. And when they stopped eating the prepackaged food, the weight came back.

If you're not thrilled about attending meetings, WW has an online system you can use that gives you access to all of the tools you need including online support and food diaries/tracking systems, etc. But I do recommend checking out a few meetings to get a feel for the program.

Anyway ... my 2 cents.

I agree with JA. Weight Watchers isn't so much a diet but a lifestyle change. :up:

One thing I recommend is not going to extremes. Meaning you don't have to cut out a food group or type of food but make better choices regarding it. (Instead of cutting carbs out completely buy a whole grain bread.) Super restrictive diets never seem to work.

I know several people for whom WW has worked pretty well. It does seem to promote lifestyle change moreso than a lot of the fad diets out there and, if I'm not wrong, I think the points system is essentially calorie based so it's hard to go wrong there as long as you're honestly following your guidelines.

good luck. :up:

The points are calculated based on calories, fat and dietary fiber.

I think WW is also good because you're supposed to write down and calculate your points. It forces you to stop and think about what you're eating and make good decisions.

What is great is that no food is forbidden as long as it is consumed in moderation.

It's the diet that makes the most sense to me because it's about making good choices, portion control and exercise -- which any nutritionist will tell you is a healthy and sensible approach to weight loss.

It's not a walk in the park (no diet is) and it will take time to adjust to it, but eventually it becomes a "habit" and part of your lifestyle.

I’ve tried them all, Justin!!

Nutrisystem, while sounds good, the food is absolutely disgusting. The dry cereal wasn’t even that great, the lunches were no bigger than a large can of tuna and the dinners were just plain scary. I had chosen a lot of the lunches with noodles, chicken and vegetables and it was like eating thick globs of starch.

I liked Jenny Craig for the selection of food and the counselor. The food is actually pretty tasty and you get to supplement it with salad, fruit, yogurt and other veggies but it all can get pretty costly depending on the foods you choose. However… as with most packaged foods these contain A LOT of sodium and an unbelievable amount of carbohydrates. When you add up the amount of carbs you’ve eaten just using their food, it’s amazingly high. Granted, having the packaged foods does provide you with no fuss portion control. Unfortunately I cannot testify to whether or not Jenny works (I’m assuming it does… look at Kristie & Valarie) because with me it didn’t and that was because of a yet discovered thyroid condition soo….

If you don’t try on your own using books, advice, tips, a nutritionist or the like, my suggestion would be Weight Watchers. I have known may people who have had mucho success on this plan. Reason being: options & real food. You can go to meetings or use the tools online, if there has been no change from a year ago, you can chose a “core” plan or the “points” plan. Sure, I will admit that counting points was truly annoying, but after a while you can eyeball something and estimate its points value. It teaches you portion control and healthy life style choices as well as promoting a belief in your own self that you can do it vs. relying on “their” foods like the others.

I’ve seriously considered going back to WW myself!

Good Luck to you!

I haven't tried JC or Nutrisystem but I succeeded on WW a few years ago, and then I stopped and gained the weight back plus a lot more. But it works because it's not "diet" food...it's regular food in moderation. I've been back on the plan for a few months but am failing miserably only because of my failure to exercise. that's a huge factor, and I walked/exercised nearly every day when I lost the weight before. I needed structure and that's why I joined WW originally. but if you have the willpower and don't need it, then cut out the "bad" foods that you're tempted with and add in more fruits/veggies, and continue your exercise. oh and lots of water.

I've lost at least 10 pounds since November by cutting back on trans fat. This means I switched from regular margarine to I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I eat much less pizza, French fries and pastry than I used to. I don't have the willpower to cut them out completely, but I've found as long as I have them as an ocassional treat rather than a dietary staple, I'm OK.

Back
Top Bottom