when people say "thats just my opinion".....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMScoopy

Refugee
... it annoys the hell outta me.

people write out a big long paragraph about their opinion and then they end it with "well, thats just my opinion."

No shit! Who else's opinion would it be? I think people on here are smart enough to figure that part out.

Just my opinion though :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Last edited:
It's just a habitual phrase that people use, and they might not even realize they use it. Kind of akin to saying "You know what I mean?" or "Do you hear what I'm saying?"

It's a conversational crutch. No big deal.

I think it's just a natural reaction. Sometimes maybe it's because whoever writes the post perhaps doesn't want to seem pushy. They offer their advice or input and are just like it's only my opinion but you do what you want or think what you want. Know I could think of a lot of other things that annoy the hell out of me than this,lol.

Re: Re: when people say "thats just my opinion".....

Mr. BAW said:
I think it should read "people write out...." but that's just my opinion....:lol:

Just yanking your chain.........

i just fixed that like a minute before you posted this

so :madspit: :wink:

That's like when sometimes people will ask "Do you mind if I smoke?"

The one I like is "Can you hold please?" Like WHO wants to be put on hold. I Want to say "Oh please do! Put me on hold for the rest of the afternoon, PLEASE!" Of course not, you moronic buffoon!

its just a way of being modest

id rather someone say "thats just my opinion" than try to pass their opinion off as fact. that annoys me much more.

Chizip said:
its just a way of being modest

id rather someone say "thats just my opinion" than try to pass their opinion off as fact. that annoys me much more.

I think that's why so many people do type in the that's just my opinion bit -- because they don't want to be accused of trying to push their opinon as fact.

Too bad more people don't use the phrase when they talk about religion.... :wink:

My personal favorite is "Don't take offense, but..." If you feel the need to put in that qualifier, I think it's a pretty good bet what you are about to say is going to make me want to punch you in the nose.

Slightly unrelated, but it grates on my last nerve when people add "Just my $0.02" to the end of their posts. The phrase makes me want to rip out entrails.

:mad:

Bono's shades said:
My personal favorite is "Don't take offense, but..." If you feel the need to put in that qualifier, I think it's a pretty good bet what you are about to say is going to make me want to punch you in the nose.

Or when people use that form to try and coerce you into doing something: 'I don't want to pressure you, but' or 'Now, you don't need to listen to this, but' and 'You're in no way obligated to do this, but', etc.

If you're using the above form to ask a favour of someone... just don't. I hate it when people a) preface it with 'I need you to do something for me': its not that you 'need' anything, but that you 'want' someone to do it so that you don't have to; and b) don't try to guilt people into doing it and pretend to be all hurt when they (who really have no stake in your business) refuse: this something is usually something that you didn't seem to think was significant enough to plan for, and now its biting you in the ass, its not their problem to deal with.

Relating that to what I said earlier, if someone says the above and they're not asking a favour, if they're a boss or someone issuing instructions or something... I hate it because of the uncertainty. Be clear about what you want. If you try to pass off this wishywashy bullshit as guidance, you're going to find that nothing gets done, and more to the point that it doesn't get done the way you want it done (quality wise). I'd rather I and everyone around me know what the hell is expected and not be operating under a bunch of maybe-this and if-you-feel-like-it-that.

I wish people had spine enough to commit to something and then stick to it. Even if it turns out to be a huge mistake, I'd rather see something be done emphatically wrong than sortof okay passable mostly right but noone really knows. It's hard to make corrections and ammendments and find accountability in a muddle of lukewarm uncertain crap; and that said, it's hard to make any progress and move forward when you waste so much time trying to sort through the BS afterwards when things could have been done clearly in the first place.

opinion1.gif

:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

what a coincidence!

how did i know someone would post that pic?

one of the many topics i agree with Maddox on.

:wink:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Slightly unrelated, but it grates on my last nerve when people add "Just my $0.02" to the end of their posts. The phrase makes me want to rip out entrails.

:mad:

Do people say, "Just my toonies" in Canada? Cause that could drive a wo/man to rip out some entrails.

UberBeaver said:

Do people say, "Just my toonies" in Canada? Cause that could drive a wo/man to rip out some entrails.

Ha, if they said that, they'd be placing one hell of a lot of worth on their comment. :lol: Mmm, Toonies. But no, I've never heard that before. It could be very annoying. Almost as annoying as "toonie/loonie" itself.

Back
Top Bottom