What strange fears do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am scared of large inanimate objects like statues. For example: The Jefferson Memorial in DC, the Lincoln Memorial in DC, the Statue of Liberty, looking up at the Sears Tower all freak me out big time.

I also have an irrational fear of sharks. I used to use this fear as motivation when I was a competitive swimmer. No joke. :|

I am a total freak show sometimes. :wink:

discothequeLP said:
i have a really really bad fear of heights, including the almost-uncontrollable urge to jump off a building or something.

but i really really love roller coasters -- probably because they scare the shit outta me!

I'm not afraid of heights, but the 2 times I've gone to Niagara Falls, I had this almost uncontrollable urge to jump in. It just looks like so much fun, but I'd be wrong about that.

I absolutely love roller coasters!!!

I think rejection scares me the most. Pregnancy is right up there too.

briarrose said:
I think rejection scares me the most.

Yeah...the rejection that scares me the most is the rejection of my writing. Seeing as that's something that's quite important to me, if somebody didn't like it, or whenever I come across somebody who's thousands of times better a writer than me...it bothers me, and I tend to start wondering just how good I am. I still want to be a writer, that is my dream job...but sometimes I just worry whether or not I'll be good enough.

Angela

starsgoblue said:
I'm afraid of accidentally 'curbing' myself....falling onto a stair or something similar and completley knocking my teeth out.

That's what I get for watching American History X....:|

hahaha, i haven't seen the movie but my friends have told me about that one part. . .

sounds great

Riding a bicycle, bike, horse etc. while sitting behind somebody. I don't know whether it's the lack of control that terrifies me so much, but even when I hold tightly to the person in the front and know that I'm perfectly safe, I always feel like I'm about to fall over and can't wait to get off.

I'm also freaked out by the masks with dark empty eye sockets, especially those beautiful life-like Venetian masks. It's ok when there's a person behind them, but otherwise I find them very eerie and unnerving.

starsgoblue said:
I'm afraid of accidentally 'curbing' myself....falling onto a stair or something similar and completley knocking my teeth out.

Same here,, That one scene totally messed me up

Halifax said:
...fear of the number 13.

Officially known as "triskadecaphobia". Another nugget of the plethora of useless information floating around my noggin. :slant:

Makes me my family's Jeopardy champion, though. :shrug: :)

I fear a slow, gruesome death... like burning or drowning. I don't fear dying, per se - we've all gotta' go sometime - I just want my time to be quick, you know?

Last edited:
I can't really think of anything...but I do know when I'm watching the news and see something really horrible...I'm thinking "OH MY GAWD, THAT WOULD BE SO TRAUMATIC"....like so many swimmers getting bit by sharks, the bombs in London...and Iraq....just so much crap going on...

that's it, I'm afraid of crap!!!

starsgoblue said:

I have nightmares about all my teeth falling out/getting knocked out.

Someone told me it has to do with vanity. Duh. :huh: I think they were just trying to make me feel vain. It didn't work. I want to keep all my teeth. :wink:

I'm terrified of wind.

I also don't like lightswitches that are grouped together anymore than 2 two a set.

My fear of wind started out kind of odd. I remember as a kid, watching my mom hang laundry on the line on windy days, and I'd always ask her, "Isn't it gonna all blow away?", and she'd tell me no...and then one day, our sheets got ripped off the line. I also used to watch our pool toys suddenly get violently whipped out of the pool, and I was always horrified by the sight. It's a situation where you lack any control, and it stresses me out so much. There was a bad storm recently, and my boyfriend and I stood in the living room window, watching our stuff get blown all over, and I was freaking out.

WildHoneyAlways said:

I have nightmares about all my teeth falling out/getting knocked out.

Someone told me it has to do with vanity. Duh. :huh: I think they were just trying to make me feel vain. It didn't work. I want to keep all my teeth. :wink:

I always have dreams about my teeth falling out. I would freak if that happened.

starsgoblue said:

:yes: Or breaking my nose or getting my eye poked out. I get really nervous about it when I'm wearing heels and half to walk down a hill/ramp. :yikes:

Spiders in my shoes:ohmy: .. I got bit once and my toe looked awful for weeks...so now I check my shoes every time I put my feet in them:(

I have reservations, but I can't say that I "fear" something.

My personality revealing fear would be that I am afraid that I would do something to really upset someone or loose someone's love for me by doing/not doing something.

But that is inherently flawed because there is seldom one can really do to make someone love or not love you, because you are always who you are.... :huh:

Sometimes I'm afraid that I won't be able to be with the one I love, or that the one I love won't be able to be with me. "Distance" seems to be a reoccuring theme in my life...

Bonochick said:
My fear of wind started out kind of odd. I remember as a kid, watching my mom hang laundry on the line on windy days, and I'd always ask her, "Isn't it gonna all blow away?", and she'd tell me no...and then one day, our sheets got ripped off the line. I also used to watch our pool toys suddenly get violently whipped out of the pool, and I was always horrified by the sight. It's a situation where you lack any control, and it stresses me out so much. There was a bad storm recently, and my boyfriend and I stood in the living room window, watching our stuff get blown all over, and I was freaking out.

That's exactly it. No control. That's why that kind of thing bothered me.

Glad I'm not alone in this :hug:.

Also, a :hug: to For Honor. On a similar note, I worry sometimes that I won't ever find that right person to be with, I worry that I'll wind up with some real jerk or something. Or, I worry that I will find a good person to marry, but will soon fall out of love with them. I really wonder sometimes whether I'd be able to love one person for the rest of my life like that, if that makes any sense. I'd hope so.

And an :ohmy: to Carmelu2fan...I don't blame you, I'd do the same thing if that happened to me. Spiders in shoes...*Shudders*.

Course, again, spiders in general...:crack: :| :yikes:

And MsGiggles, my sister's afraid of snakes :p. I gotta say, I'd be a bit nervous if I were actually anywhere close to one, but I can see them on TV and not be bothered by them (my sister can't do that).

Angela

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

Also, a :hug: to For Honor. On a similar note, I worry sometimes that I won't ever find that right person to be with, I worry that I'll wind up with some real jerk or something. Or, I worry that I will find a good person to marry, but will soon fall out of love with them. I really wonder sometimes whether I'd be able to love one person for the rest of my life like that, if that makes any sense. I'd hope so.
Angela

It totally makes sense because I feel the same way. I worry whether or not he's the right guy and should I spend the rest of my life with him, whether or not I should be with him just because everyone else is involved with someone.
:hug:

fear of walking over those bridges or those steps w/ spaces in between I can't do it, I have panic attacks

fear of being hit by a man, fear of being hurt in other ways by them. I guess maybe that's not really "strange" :| Both have happened so I guess it's a natural fear

sometimes fear of being looked at, that people are scrutinizing me. I know where that comes from so I work on it.

I fear dying before doing a lot of things I still want to do in life - family, travel abroad........

anything coming near my eyes

and, heres one,

i greatly dislike flushing the toilet in a public restroom while i am in the stall. obviously, it is very difficult to avoid, but when i flush i am ready to sprint.

speaking of toilets, I'm afraid of those portapotties :no: :no: :no:

I'm afraid of the toilets on planes too

When I go through the security thing in a store, I'm afraid it will beep even though I never steal anything

Sometimes when I get my hair cut, I'm afraid she will cut me w/ the scissors or the razor

sometimes I'm scared of extremely handsome men :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom