What kind of relationship you want most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
This is sort of a poll, but then again, I find it impossible for me to suggest catagories. Maybe this should go in LS, but, this is actually a serious topic, in the way I am thinking about it here.

So please, if you could, share the kind of relationship you would most like to have. All ages are welcome.

Thanks

Right now...a two-way relationship. A relationship where the other person cares as much for me as I do for them...a relationship with honesty and respect...and love....whatever love is...

Maybe i'm just asking for too much....:shrug:

A companion, I guess. I have a boyfriend and we've been together for almost three years. Since he graduated two years ago and I'm a senior, of course there's all this pressure to get married. Honestly, I just like having a constant friend/boyfriend/companion and I'm not too concerned about getting married (especially since I'm barely 21....young for marriage, IMO). I don't mean our relationship is any less significant, I'd just rather enjoy it for what it is right now than obsess over getting engaged, especially since we have enough to think about (school, work, my internship starting, Phil's medical problem, finding a place to live over 1000 miles away and getting jobs...)

:lol: I dunno, you give them an inch and they.... stalk you. I cant pretend to be some femme fatale who's fully in the know about such capers, but you give a guy a little um...time, and then walk off and he'll come salivating after you. I cant keep on with this without getting yelled at for stereotyping :wink:

In seriousness, a few weeks ago someone asked me how I knew when I got married. I wont rewrite my life story, but I was relatively young and the point was, 'what is the key?'. I'm not sure what it is for anyone else, but I'd guess everyone has a different answer. All I can do is use a bunch of words like comfort, familiarity. It's an old pair of slippers. You parking in the same spot for years, or sitting on the same seat in the train day after day. It's knowing exactly what you get with that first cup of tea in the mornings. It's a familiar smell which you cant source, but makes you smile. Cicadas and the smell of aeroguard. All corny stuff, but does this even make sense? :huh: Prolly not. It's how you feel. You know the other things in your life which feel right and you and familiar. A relationship is much the same. It's like coming home.

I don't want to get all gushy about my boyfriend but he's IT. He's the one that I've wanted/waited for so long after dating lots of guys who were not up for commitment. This is the type of relationship that I've always wanted where there is mutual respect, love, honesty, humor, communication and compromise. Communication is key in a relationship. You have to talk about what's bothering you, etc. Humor/laughter is one of the most extremely important things to me in a relationship. Without laughter things can get dull. I'm not saying that the relationship is always going to be a bed of roses because it's not. We have our tiffs. We have differences. Everyone will have differences in their relationships. But to me this is what relationships are about. Does this make sense? :lol: :huh:

Angela Harlem said:
It's knowing exactly what you get with that first cup of tea in the mornings. It's a familiar smell which you cant source, but makes you smile. Cicadas and the smell of aeroguard. All corny stuff, but does this even make sense? :huh: Prolly not. It's how you feel. You know the other things in your life which feel right and you and familiar. A relationship is much the same. It's like coming home.

:up: I think this sums it up much better... :)

no offense but that sounds incredibly boring. youre comparing a relationship to an old pair of slippers, having the same seat on a train everyday?

where is the excitement, the spice, the sense of adventure? buying new slippers is fun, sometimes its good to seat in a new seat for a different perspective.

i dont know if id want to be in a relationship where its the same old thing over and over again.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I think it's more the sense of knowing that's where you belong more than anything else. You can have that feeling of home yet still have an incredibly exciting and passionate relationship. It's all what you make it.

Couldn't have said it better! :up:

Truthfully, I really have no clue what kind of relationship I want. I try not to have expectations because I have found that I have sabotaged relationships b/c they weren't "meeting" what I had expected.

Two things I know for sure: A relationship that's honest and one that makes me laugh.

I want to be truly, madly, deeply in love with someone who is truly, madly, deeply on love with me at the same time. Have never had that in my life, probably never will. No more "settling" for me, if there is one thing I have learned, I am much better off alone than I am with the WRONG person.

Chizip said:
no offense but that sounds incredibly boring. youre comparing a relationship to an old pair of slippers, having the same seat on a train everyday?

where is the excitement, the spice, the sense of adventure? buying new slippers is fun, sometimes its good to seat in a new seat for a different perspective.

i dont know if id want to be in a relationship where its the same old thing over and over again.

...umm.... that's what the sex swing is for. :shifty: :D

Angela Harlem said:
:lol: I dunno, you give them an inch and they.... stalk you. I cant pretend to be some femme fatale who's fully in the know about such capers, but you give a guy a little um...time, and then walk off and he'll come salivating after you. I cant keep on with this without getting yelled at for stereotyping :wink:

no, it's true. all of it :yikes: :drool: what's a guy supposed to do?!?

this is hard to explain but the type of relationship that I'd want is to share something special with the other person. then in the future, whether we're still together or not, we'd be able to look back at it and not regret it but rather be very glad we shared it between the both of us and no other person.

I know I'm young right now, but I'm at the moment I'm really hoping for a longterm serious relationship. a relationship where the other person wouldn't care about my constant rantings about U2, who'd want to join me in travelings outside of the US, who'd be supportive of everything I do, and of course love me as much as I'd love him. and of course the list is directed back to him, not just me. :wink:

in general though, a happy/strong/well attracted/healthy/etc. relationship.

youtooellen said:
this is hard to explain but the type of relationship that I'd want is to share something special with the other person. then in the future, whether we're still together or not, we'd be able to look back at it and not regret it but rather be very glad we shared it between the both of us and no other person.

I know I'm young right now, but I'm at the moment I'm really hoping for a longterm serious relationship. a relationship where the other person wouldn't care about my constant rantings about U2, who'd want to join me in travelings outside of the US, who'd be supportive of everything I do, and of course love me as much as I'd love him. and of course the list is directed back to him, not just me. :wink:

in general though, a happy/strong/well attracted/healthy/etc. relationship.
:yes: Sounds good. Especially the part about not minding the constant U2 rants. :wink:

But yeah, mostly I just want someone who cares for me, and that I care for in return. I want it to be fun and exciting, but at the same time stable and comfortable.

A relationship where the sum of the parts is greater than the two individuals. It's hard to explain but I think we all want the type of relationship where our friends look at it and say "wow". Who wouldn't want that. A realtionship where the person you're involved with is genuinely your best friend. I don't think that happens very often even with married couples. Of course all the obvious things have to be involved like honesty, trust, humour etc. ect. I honestly think that we all want the same type of relationship. The one that is True Love(there are so many fake true love relationships in the world). Why not? If you could have that who in their right mind would turn it down?

Honesty, communication and commitment are very important to me. But generally, a healthy relationship involves emotional support. If I were in a relationship, I would always provide emotional support and always point out all the good qualities and traits of my partner. Being in a great relationship means always feeling happy and good inside everytime you are with your partner. To be honest, I wish I was in a relationship because I would love to provide emotional support. But I have such low self-esteem that I can't convince myself that girls would ever be interested in me. :sad:

U2Girl1978 said:
I don't want to get all gushy about my boyfriend but he's IT. He's the one that I've wanted/waited for so long after dating lots of guys who were not up for commitment. This is the type of relationship that I've always wanted where there is mutual respect, love, honesty, humor, communication and compromise. Communication is key in a relationship. You have to talk about what's bothering you, etc. Humor/laughter is one of the most extremely important things to me in a relationship. Without laughter things can get dull. I'm not saying that the relationship is always going to be a bed of roses because it's not. We have our tiffs. We have differences. Everyone will have differences in their relationships. But to me this is what relationships are about. Does this make sense? :lol: :huh:

It makes perfect sense :). I feel the same way about my guy. We are each other's best friend and love each other to death.

Back
Top Bottom