What if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A|catura

Acrobat
I'm posting here because I feel this is more like a confession than a dream out loud thread. Am I buggin' you? I didn't mean to bug ya'....

As some of you know, I'm a musician/songwriter and usually write comedy songs. I'm constantly writing new ideas and throwing around different points of view concerning the funny things in life. Well, some people know that most comedians are actually tormented people who use comedy to poke fun at their own experiences. It seems to be our passion to expose our darkest fears and deepest secrets, then laugh at each one of them in a public setting. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with exposing myself in public. <=== cheap laugh.

Anyway, to make a long story short. I recently started to write down some frustrations I've had about my romantic relationships and wanted to have a song that was deeply person, yet very funny at the same time. Instead, it became a serious song. This reflects how I feel at this moment in life and I really want to see how many of you might be going through the same situation.

I am now 32 years old. I have been through every imaginal type of relationship. I've had some extremely awesome relationships and some very disappointing ones as well. I guess I've reached a point in life where I have become very cynical and almost lost hope in any chances at finding "the one" true love of my life. It's not that I've lost hope in people or myself. It's just that I refuse to settle for a situation that doesn't offer the best interest for both of us. We should never have to "put up with" someone or be "put up with" ourselves, just to keep everything on a comfortable level so we don't have to be alone and left searching again.

I don't believe in soulmates, fate or the idea that there is only one person meant for each one of us (this coming from a big Shakespeare fan, go figure!). But I do believe that there are very few people in this world that truly "connect" with each other. After several months of meeting someone and all the "role playing" and the "smoke and mirrors" have been stripped away, I usually find that underneath it all is just another intolerant person.

What am I babbling about? I guess this is my point. It seems that people already have an idea of who someone is before they even get to know that person. After they find out that their opinion of the other was somewhat wrong, they begin their own personal crusade to change the other and mold them into what they think they "should" be. From my own experience, I have found that it is extremely rare to find two people who accept each other completely unconditionally.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not discussing the fact that we all have responsibilties and must make ourselves accountable to the other person in any relationship. I think someone is justified if they're trying to change their significant other's inability to share in the responsiblities in running a household, paying the bills, etc. This is not what I'm referring to here.

Instead of disappointment, differences should be celebrated. For me, it seems that it's going to come down to maybe one person that's out there somewhere that will somehow "rescue" me from this cynicism. But what if it happens and I'm too cynical to recognize it or embrace it? I don't have a low-self image, finding a date or a girlfriend is easy, but finding that one special person that I will connect with seems to be a dim hope at this point.

I'm sure some of you can relate, but others might see this as a very negative attitude and slam me for it. I just felt like sharing this with others to see what they thought. Feel free to express however you feel. If you completely disagree with me, don't hesitate to reply anyway.

I'll post the song below.... Thanks for listening

Am I destined to be lost at sea
Are you destined to rescue me
Am I the captain of a ship
Bound by the sea
Or am I just a wandering refugee
Searching for your love
To set me free

My heart will always belong to you
My heart continues to long for you
Never felt your warm embrace
Never caressed your face
We never met, but we always knew
Someday this dream will come true

When I find you
Will I recognize you
Will I be the one
You fervently pursue

What if your ship came in
What if I lost you again
What if your crusades in vain
What if I cause you pain
Will our love sustain

Gravitation
My navigation
Separation
My isolation
Lamentation
My desperation
Determination
My inspiration
Liberation
You are my destination

What if I lost you again
What if I cause you pain
Will our love sustain

My heart will always belong to you
My heart continues to long for you
Never felt your warm embrace
Never caressed your face
We never met, but we always knew
Someday this dream will come true

When I find you
Will I recognize you
Will I be the one
You fervently pursue

What if I lost you again
What if I cause you pain
Will our love sustain

Hugging-Smilie.gif

Originally posted by S|aney:
I guess I've reached a point in life where I have become very cynical and almost lost hope in any chances at finding "the one" true love of my life. It's not that I've lost hope in people or myself. It's just that I refuse to settle for a situation that doesn't offer the best interest for both of us. We should never have to "put up with" someone or be "put up with" ourselves, just to keep everything on a comfortable level so we don't have to be alone and left searching again.

But I do believe that there are very few people in this world that truly "connect" with each other. After several months of meeting someone and all the "role playing" and the "smoke and mirrors" have been stripped away, I usually find that underneath it all is just another intolerant person.

I can totally relate, I know exactly what you're saying. I dont think you have a negative attitude. All I can say to you... is dont give up.

And that is an absolutely beautiful song.
I'd love to hear it some day.

I can relate a lot to what you're saying, which is kinda frightening since you've got 10 years on me and I've had relatively few serious relationships.

The odd thing is that I think I have found certain people where there was just an acceptance of each other as who we are, but through lack of wisdom, experience, trust, patience and/or understanding on one or both of our parts, that acceptance was lost among the confusion. And that's extremely frustrating, because as you said, people that you deeply connect with are hard to come by. What's even harder perhaps, is trying to put those intense, deeply rooted feelings away when things do slip apart.

For the longest time I spent so much time second guessing myself in romance that I rarely ever got anywhere, and when I did it felt like such a triumph that I was scared to move for fear of wrecking things. Then I get to the point where I realize that I can just be myself and that will actually be enough for someone, and when I find someone where I can finally be who I am and not who I'm trying to be, life has to throw me a curve and remind me that I'm nowhere close to figuring out relationships.

Anyways...that was a bit off on a tangent, but yeah...it's all very frustrating!

When I find you
Will I recognize you
Will I be the one
You fervently pursue

I know you said you don't believe in soulmates (I believe that there's more than one out there), but here's a quote that kind of ties in to your lyrics:

A soulmate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we're pretending to be. Each unveils the best part of the other. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we're safe in our own paradise. Our soulmate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we're two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we've found the right person. Our soulmate is someone who makes life come to life.
--Richard Bach, The Bridge Across Forever

From that description (which I like a lot), I have definitely found a soulmate in my life. I've found someone who can make my life come to life. But the big trick is finding them when we're going in the same direction. "When I find you/Will I recognize you/Will I be the one/You fervently pursue" is one of the big parts to finding that "one" for you. And unfortunately one of the trickiest parts.

------------------
Experience is something that comes just after you need it.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 03-18-2002).]

Originally posted by Diemen:
I can relate a lot to what you're saying, which is kinda frightening since you've got 10 years on me and I've had relatively few serious relationships.

The odd thing is that I think I have found certain people where there was just an acceptance of each other as who we are, but through lack of wisdom, experience, trust, patience and/or understanding on one or both of our parts, that acceptance was lost among the confusion. And that's extremely frustrating, because as you said, people that you deeply connect with are hard to come by. What's even harder perhaps, is trying to put those intense, deeply rooted feelings away when things do slip apart.

For the longest time I spent so much time second guessing myself in romance that I rarely ever got anywhere, and when I did it felt like such a triumph that I was scared to move for fear of wrecking things. Then I get to the point where I realize that I can just be myself and that will actually be enough for someone, and when I find someone where I can finally be who I am and not who I'm trying to be, life has to throw me a curve and remind me that I'm nowhere close to figuring out relationships.

Anyways...that was a bit off on a tangent, but yeah...it's all very frustrating!

I know you said you don't believe in soulmates (I believe that there's more than one out there), but here's a quote that kind of ties in to your lyrics:

A soulmate is someone who has locks that fit our keys, and keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we are; we can be loved for who we are and not for who we're pretending to be. Each unveils the best part of the other. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person we're safe in our own paradise. Our soulmate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we're two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we've found the right person. Our soulmate is someone who makes life come to life.
--Richard Bach, The Bridge Across Forever

From that description (which I like a lot), I have definitely found a soulmate in my life. I've found someone who can make my life come to life. But the big trick is finding them when we're going in the same direction. "When I find you/Will I recognize you/Will I be the one/You fervently pursue" is one of the big parts to finding that "one" for you. And unfortunately one of the trickiest parts.

I'm going to agree with Diemen agreeing with Slaney. I too, am fairly young, and feel as if the one for me has already come and gone, or sadly will never find me (and vice versa). Those who I have had connections with seem to be few and far between, and something always manages to screw it up.
frown.gif

Very lovely song, btw, Slaney. I liked it a lot.
smile.gif

------------------
Let her pale light in
To fill up your room

Back
Top Bottom