What does it take to be a real man? my side study/quest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
(I'm probaby going to put up another thread about this in Free Your Mind, but I wanted to start here, first)

Here's the deal- for a long time now, there's been a bit of a side quest going on for me, and it goes along with personal development. Basically, it's "what are the qualities of a real man?", what is the "best" way a man should act, etc.

That is such horrible way to describe this all, it doesn't provide the elequence that this topic really consists of.

But, I figured I would start here, because I like this forum. (But mods, feel free to tell me where this kind of thread should be, or bump it, or whatever. If you want move it or something please let me know about it somehow).

I have found a few interesting sites in regards to this topic, and if you would like, you can look at those - I'll link them below.

But really, I am open to any opinions or suggestions, ideas or thoughts. This is really just a humble beginning, and a small manifestation of a much larger thing.

And also, I don't mind relgious input, because I feel that religion and spirituatlity are part of every person, but I would prefer that this not become a totally religious discussion, since, in my opinion, it doesn't matter what beliefs you follow, being a man is somewhat secular. That being said, I am finding that a lot of the most relevant and, to me, infomative and intersting sites are connected to religion.

Please keep in mind that I am not really just limiting this to "what man should be", as in, womeon cannot or should not have these qualities. I am just trying to be more specific and narrow, and perhaps greedily so, trying to tailor this to my own personal quest. But in no way am I trying to stigmatize males against females or anything like that.

The real, final outcome of this will be a sort of "book" or code or something, something to remind me about what I have learned. Perhaps my own philosophy, or something like that. I'm trying to develope a set of ethics or some code that I can live by. I respect religion greatly, but this is something that has to be secular and away from that. This is something I have to do on my own. And if it should lead to becoming more religious, that is totally fine with me. But I want to really start from a clean slate and as secularly and detached as possible. (but again, I do not remind religiously orientated comments, or even quotes from the bibal or other religious documents, just as long as this thread does not become "what is the religious definition of a man?")

Hopefully this makes sense, but please feel free to post questions for me, and/or PM me about this subject, because it really is something that I am interested in.

Thanks for participating, even if it's just reading this post.

Here are the links:

religious interpretetion of what a man should be
One of the first sites I found - and a really good one, too. It's points made sense to me.

Short article about Dr Rev MLK, Jesus, and society
I couldn't help but think of "PRIDE" when I read this :)

brief commentary about what a real man should be

blog about a book in the works "what it takes to be a REAL man"
I haven't had the chance to read it all yet, but it might be an interesting perspective

I just found all these sites today, and have only looked throught them a little bit, especially the last one. I don't consider them great sources just yet, but merely stepping stones or conversations starters.

Okay, well, I will post more tomorrow about all this. I'm really tired, and I'm signing off for tonight- it's almost 2 AM- but I wanted to put all this together so that I would have something started for tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,

FH

Last edited:
welp.....if this makes sense.....men are only ONE step up the food chain from women.....I think it must be very hard to be a man...
it would be cool to be one for a day ..but i dont think id wanna be one...

" BE A MAN"

that is so much more complex than say" be a lady"
.......people never say " BE A WOMAN"

or no...sorry...we dont say be a lady....we say " now sit like a lady." which means cross your legs in a skirt.......or we say it to little girls ..ya know...------? its such a mind fuck

carrieluvv said:
welp.....if this makes sense.....men are only ONE step up the food chain from women.....I think it must be very hard to be a man...
it would be cool to be one for a day ..but i dont think id wanna be one...

" BE A MAN"

that is so much more complex than say" be a lady"
.......people never say " BE A WOMAN"

or no...sorry...we dont say be a lady....we say " now sit like a lady." which means cross your legs in a skirt.......or we say it to little girls ..ya know...------? its such a mind fuck

we are UP the food chain? no way. women are on the top. :wink:

I didn't really want to turn this into a "be a man" vs "be a lady".......

....but that's a worthy discussion area as well, I guess.....

I guess I should come up with a better way to pose the question I want to be answered..... hmm.......

For honor

I just read the - religious interpretetion of what a man should be - article and its not that i want to be disrespectful or anything but that article is written by some confused men IMO. Its propaganda at its worst.

Quote from the article:

What is the duty of a real man? He is to be the head of the home as Christ is head of the church. This is not an arbitrarily assigned duty, but one that has been designated by the Creator of the home, Almighty God. This rules out the “hen-pecked husband.” This outlaws a domineering wife and the weak husband figure. There is no more reason for a woman-governed home than there is for a woman-run church. God decreed that man is to be head of the home. God made Christ the head of the church and God gave man to be head over the family. Variation from this is a variation from God’s design.

Attempts on the part of women to take over the home, assuming that they have husbands, is to show disrespect for the law of God. The failure to assume the duty over the home by the husband is another show of disrespect for the law of God. Regardless of what the fanatical “women’s rights” perversity would have us believe, this is God’s will. Departure from this is already showing its deadly results in our society and all the rabble-rousing rubbish from whatever source cannot and will not prove otherwise. People are fools to listen to and give heed to those who show such little concern for God

End quote:

I could have picked anything from this article and it would still be as fucked up as this weird nonsense.

Again, i really do not want to be disrespectful at all. The Danish culture is extremely laid back and maybe that is why i have never really asked myself this question. I dont feel that i need to prove anything as a man, just like i dont expect a woman to prove that she is a real woman. I dont think such a concept as a real man and woman really exists, because we are all different.

Last edited:
LEBOWSKI: Is it. . . is it, being prepared to do the right thing? Whatever the price? Isn't that what makes a man?

DUDE: Sure. That and a pair of testicles.

Last edited:
nevermind

....this thread is completely off the mark....

your comments are all valid.
it's just that....... eh...... nevermind

well i think that it would be interesting to see how each culture has its own idea about manhood and that stuff... different regions in the world have different rituals that celebrate the kid who is becoming a man, involving the qualities that the society needs from its men.

sorry, I didn't read any of your links

I agree, it's about being a good person. My concept of a real man is-honest, kind/goodhearted, funny, supportive, understanding, humble, true to himself, if he's married faithful and loving towards his wife/spouse, if he has kids a good Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom