What do I do about this friend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
My best friend and I are facing a problem: one of our friends, "Courtney." We met Courtney when we were college seniors (2 years ago). She had a long term (3 year) boyfriend at the time, whom she spent most of her hours with. Fast forward to last year when Courtney and said boyfriend finally break up (around the 4 year mark). This guy was a complete dipshit, manipulative, mind-controlling guy. He didn't consider her in his life plans (moved out of state to "save money" by living in NYC for a year, delaying graduation. They'd also spent a few years apart w/ each of them studying abroad while in college). Anyway he was possessive and controlling. It's a good thing it ended. Courtney took it HARD.

Suddenly Courtney is around all the time. Unlike ever before. Fine- we have a great time with her. But about 5 months later she met another guy. (Here's the deal, Courtney can't be by herself. Exbf was still in the picture all the time and Courtney doesnt know what to do blah blah *drama* and I asked her - "what do you want?" To which she replied "I want to be loved." :|) So once new boyfriend is around, Courtney starts ditching her friends (mind you, my bestfriend and I are the only girls she hangs out with). We plan parties, she won't bring her boyfriend to. We plan fondu parties just for the girls- she goes to visit her boyfriend on a Friday so she can come to the party on a Saturday, and calls us up Sat night bailing. And so forth. Fine. To be honest we're learning at this point what a drama queen she can be, and how she can NEVER be satisfied. She'd complain about her job in one breath and when we agreed with her she'd defend it til she was blue in the face. :huh: :rolleyes: (passive aggressive tendancies..)

Then some shit starting to go down. My boyfriend was very ill recently and her reaction to him being in the hospital was "oh really" (on IM to my friend. no "??!!? Oh no are they okay?" kind of stuff.) okay.. then after speaking w/ me for 5 minutes (I was quite depressed) while he was in the hospital, I didn't hear from her again until 4 weeks later. I was pissed at her inconsideration, especially after I'd been there for breakup w/ exbf and discovery her mom getting sick, among other things. So, she's selfish. I told her as much on the phone when she kept calling, that I didn't appreciate her friendship and how she ignored me when I needed friends.

Sorry, I know this is really hard to go into here. She's had a fucked up family life (raising her mother at a young age) - she's a size 2 and was size 5 probably less than a year ago. She's been.. she had a bad experience with another controlling, manipulative guy in college. I found out the other night her mother never even knew when it happened (although Courtney told her about it 7 months after it happened or so). She constantly says she knows she's smothering her boyfriend but she just wants to be around him, needs him, etc. She's only been single for 6 months her entire (dating) life! My friend and I can't honestly think of a time we've had a serious or more than just watching movies/drinking-type conversation with her.

Well current bf just broke things off. I think it's because Courtney has the summer free and moved to be closer to him for the summer, and really and truly suffocates him. Courntey is supposedly fine about it. But the three of us went out last night for dinner, and conversation continually was dragged back to her, despite our best efforts not to. (remember, drama queen.) Oh yeah and she ate about 3 bites of a house salad for dinner, after telling us she hadn't eaten in days. (craving attention..?)

I dunno, I'm the type of person where I don't like people who suck the energy and life out of me being in my life. I don't have time for people who don't have time for me. Maybe superficially she does, but she brings me nothing. Last night I had a dream about 2 other friends I've had that did the same thing to me at the end of the friendships. There's a reason I was dreaming about them.

The thing is, I feel really bad because we are her ONLY friends. Her parents are so f'ed up. Her mom still wants her to get back w/ exbf of 5 years. (Can we keep in mind that when Courtney told this exbf how I felt when she ignored me, and when she told him how her mom doesn't like new boyfriend b/c he has money, EXbf says "your friends dont like you, your mom doesn't like you, i'm the only person who likes you." and continued to say she was being SELFISH wanting to date someone else, and even though he ended the relationship and moved to NYC, he fully expected her to be there when he got back.)

I dont know what to do. My bestfriend doens't know what to do. I want to tell Courtney we think she needs to see a therapist regarding this "need to be loved" issue- also, my friend and I aren't her therapist!! we're not here to tell her she's not fat and she "hasn't been rejected by 4 guys" - that's how she looks at it, depsite all 4 guys having seriously been horrible to her. :confused: :scream:

Any suggestions? I wouldn't blink if this relationship ended, and I almost wish I had let it die when I was angry at her rather than take the high road and tell her why I was mad and try to resolve things.

Thanks for reading all this. :(

Olive

Olive, there's people in life who give new meaning to self centred. People who literally cannot see outside their own lives and even acknowledge those around them. Ask her roughly when the war in Iraq ended, ask her what your middle name is, ask her where the 3 of you gals all went the first time you all went out. I bet she couldn't tell you. No biggie really, but it highlights the fact that outside her own cocoon she is blinded. Ignorant of the world spinning around her, ignorant that she infact doesn't take up as much space as she thinks she does. People like this fall easily into a pattern. We can source it back to an unpleasant or disturbing childhood/boyfriends/yada yada yada. It all may well be relevant, but you as a person can probably do very little about how she is now and the problems you are facing. Sorry for being completely negative here and being no help at all, lol. We all know people like this, and we know there is nothing we can do. What happens with you is probably of little consequence to her anyway.

I understand your feel.
Because my friend is same type,too.
I could'nt nothing.
So I had something of distance.
She go to therapy,even now.
Now We do e-mail,sometime.

You need something of distance for her,I think.

If I take something wrongly,I'm sorry.

Angela, Thank you for your frank opinion, I really appreciate it. Sadly, you are dead-on about her.

I think it's time I distance myself. You're right Bono=Saint.

There's nothing I can do for her anyway like Angela said. I guess you're just reaffirming what I already knew.

:) thanks,
Cam

Yep. Tell her in person that she needs therapy, then leave the friendship. If you could call it that. You're not responsible for her screwed life. You've tried, but she needs professional help. Get out while you're still healthy.

She definitely needs therapy. Whether or not you can convince her of this...well, I'd say to try it and if she refuses your help, realize that her life is her problem ultimately and not yours. In any case, you're a sweet friend to worry so much about this and to help as much as you have. But don't forget that you can't make someone help themselves. :hug:

Just reading that sucked the energy outta me!
Yep..we've all come across or have known people like that.You can tell your friend she needs therapy but most self-absorbed people like her wont bother getting help. If anything she'd get off on all of the attention.
I'd confront her face to face one last time and explain to her that you have outgrown this friendship-its one-sided. The drama is tiring and she needs to step up to the plate and take responsibilty for the bad choices SHE'S made in her life. Make it known that you have no place in your life for fairweather friends anymore.If and when she gets her crap together in a few years, she can find you in the phone book.
Perhaps when those, who've put up with her, DONT anymore, she might start looking inwards in an introspective and selfless manner ( after she tells everyone how horrible you are , of course). Good luck!

CSL

Last edited:
God, Carrie, I had a friend EXACTLY like that once. She used to be my best friend, up until a year and a half ago.

She was the biggest drama queen. Tell me she was jealous of me, get mad and make up fake guys when I had a boyfriend or some guy interested in me, etc., that sort of thing. You name anything a bad friend does while still thinking that they're doing YOU a favor by being your friend, she did it. :tsk: The point where I finally had it (after years of her treating me like I was ditzy, acting as if she was better than me, and acting bitchy towards me when she had NO right to at all- i.e, trying to talk about my day and life, she'd label me as self-absorbed :rolleyes: ) was when I called her one night while I was in my infamous sleep study. It was a total one-sided conversation (me talking- asking about what she was up to, telling her how boring the study was, trying to joke- her giving one word answers), and when I hung up the phone I immediately deleted her off my cell. I waited a few days for an apology or a call, but none came. Flash forward to last summer, she calls me acting SO sorry for how she treated me, before letting it not-so-subtly slip out that her other friend (who I never had gotten along with at all) was seeing some guy and was basically ditching her all the time. I saw through this and we haven't spoken since.

I really hate it when friends do this sort of thing, and I really hope that she learns from her behavior, but as Angie said, people are freaking self-centered and some more so than others. And it's those people who really miss out on the big picture.

I'm sorry I went off into my own little rant but know you're not alone. She needs therapy and you really cannot provide it. :slant: You deserve much better than that. :hug:

Pfft you're beautiful Meggie :hug:

Sorry for sounding like a real hard arse in that reply, Olive. I just read it over and thought 'Could I sound any less caring?' I was writing it and thinking of a girl I used to know and honestly, you could have been talking about her, it is uncanny. I guess I got a little pissed remembering how tiring and draining it was knowing her. The very first day i met her, I'd been in this job for about 6 months and my team leader said I was taking over a project from someone and Kellie would be around to show me what to do. Cool. After lunch this girl with tears running down her face plonks herself down at my desk and says "Hi...I'll just show you what to do" I was staring at her thinking someone must have just died or something and didn't say a word, just handed her my box of tissues. She was sniffling and I waited for her to start and told her my name as an introduction and she did the same and said "Sorry about this, its my ex boyfriend" I figured she must have just been dumped on the weekend. That made sense. I asked her when he broke up with her "Oh....September 16th was the date" she cried at me (It was currently May of the following year). WTF? "Oh..." I had no idea what to say. She started wailing and I was figuring by this stage she was a nutbag and I wasn't going to be learning how to use the program that afternoon. She filled me in on about 3 years of her life and the 4 months spent with this guy and how she loved him so much, he had "issues in the bedroom" and all she wanted was to take him back so she could help him and she loved him and blah blah blah blah. Rob didn't love her though and it was killing her (yeah, no kidding). Next morning she plonked herself down again (crying - I wondered briefly if she had stopped since the day before or even since September) and went on and on about the same things as the day before. So began my "Kellie Years". She got my home number and called me at ridiculous hours to bemoan how she couldn't get him to love her again and talked of how he cheated on her, went to prostitutes to overcome his "issues", lied to her, used her etc etc. A thoroughly worthless relationship in short. I was living with my husband/then boyfriend at the time, and I swear she wouldn't have known his surname. I dont think she even knew how to spell mine (granted it was a stupid French name that no one could, but not the point, lol). Time passed with nothing changing. Eventually I had left this company and my wedding day was drawing near. I had sent her an invite with "..and guest on it" and never got the RSVP saying yay or nay and had no idea if she was planning on turning up. One of my dear friends - a bridesmaid was helping finalise numbers - who I've known for about 20 years called her and got rather snitty asking her if she planned on coming and when she was going to let me know either way. She said Rob wouldn't come with her and she really had no idea it was on anyway and it was short notice and if I really wanted her to be there she needed more time to convinve Rob.....My friend eventually just hung up on her. I haven't heard from her since. I knew her for about 2 years and in that time I knew there was no helping her. She actually went to therapy for a while but told me how she lied to her counsellor so he would be happy with her progress. She had classic dependancy issues, chronic victim syndrome and an overall inability to let her life move on.
Argh memories! These people literally suck the fun out of life and drag everyone around them down too. But sorry for being so blunt before :hug:

I agree with Martha and Sula. I happen to have daily contact with one of these "social vampires," and I discussed with my counselor how this person was driving me crazy. Her advice to me? "So-and-So has problems. Let her have them and stay away from her. It's not your job to fix her." Sometimes hearing it from an impartial third part is what it takes. I hope your situation comes to a happy resolution soon. :hug:

It is draining to read all that you posted.
Many people want nothing more than to commiserate.
You and your friend have some responsibility for allowing this behavior all this time. It seems like the basis for your friendship is a one way street, from you to her.

I have had friends like this. When I tried to tactfully confront them they became very defensive. The friendships have survived.
I guess it is about boundaries. She won't understand when you want to establish new boundaries.
I agree she needs some type of therapy. There are co-dependent groups. CODA is patterned after other 12 step groups. They are no costs.

deep said:

I agree she needs some type of therapy. There are co-dependent groups. CODA is patterned after other 12 step groups. They are no costs.

:huh: what's codependent mean? Please tell me you're not suggesting I'm dependent on her? :lol: :no:

anyway this past weekend we had a day trip w/ her and it was miserable. she never smiled or engaged in our conversations. I think I may write her an email suggesting she get therapy (quoting some of the things she told us this weekend) and then be done with it. I've cut a few other relationships in my life off (female/friendship relationships) and I'll do it again.

Angela,
Whoa that friend sounded horrible too! You definitely weren't harsh in that post- just honest! And it was good to hear it, because wishy-washy stuff won't get anyone anywhere. :hug: I really appreciated it, I was thinking all weekend about how she doesn't know anything about me, or about world-events etc. I mean, I got a new haircut the other day and she didn't even notice! Lol.

thanks everyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom