What brings you closer to god?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I used to go to church all the time. Now I rarely do? It could be do to being forced to go when I was younger. I was lost but now I have found my own way, and that way is through my photographs. I shoot the beauty of his message and I sometimes get the ugly of what he wants us to steer away from.

Where were yooo,
when they build that laddurr to heav'n?

sp612_A_Ladder_to_Heaven.jpg

working with the dogs, music, going on long walks w/ headphones and a camera, road trips through beautiful scenery, kayaking...

I rarely go too, Justin. I'm finally at a place where I feel I've learned what I needed to learn regarding theology and doctrine, I've made my choices, and I'm comfortable in my own skin. Some recent events have made going to church more of a bitter experience than a renewing experience for me, so I have other means of spiritual renewal. I refuse to feel guilty about it. I'm banking on God caring less that I go to church and become a yes-man in a herd of bigots and more that I celebrate the beauty of creation.

Prayer. Reading his word. Helping others. Singing "All Because of You" and "Falling At Your Feet" (both by this small Irish band called U2) at the top of my lungs in the car. Kissing my wife. Hugging my boys. Drinking green tea. Etc. Etc.

I'm actually reading this great book called "God is Here." It's a modern look at Brother Lawrence's "Practicing the Presence of God." It's really good so far. Basically, it gets at the mind-blowing, yet simple truth that God is here. He's not something you pray to and hope your prayers reach like an arrow to a target. He's not some old man in the sky who only listens by appointment.

He's here. He's already with us. We're already in his presence. The book makes the point with the story of a guy at a pool who keeps diving in the pool like a mad man desperately looking for something. People start crowding around and ask what he's looking for. His keys? His wife's wedding ring?

"I'm looking for water," he replies.

That's where I've kind of been at. I knew God is omnipresent (I mean come on. He's God), but what did that mean to me? I'm discovering that now.

God's with me as much as he is when I'm praying, as he is when I'm changing my son's diaper. He's here.

The question is am I with him. Am I seeking him.

Liesje said:
working with the dogs, music, going on long walks w/ headphones and a camera, road trips through beautiful scenery, kayaking...

I rarely go too, Justin. I'm finally at a place where I feel I've learned what I needed to learn regarding theology and doctrine, I've made my choices, and I'm comfortable in my own skin. Some recent events have made going to church more of a bitter experience than a renewing experience for me, so I have other means of spiritual renewal. I refuse to feel guilty about it. I'm banking on God caring less that I go to church and become a yes-man in a herd of bigots and more that I celebrate the beauty of creation.

:up:

I could go on about deep spiritual chrisitian things, growing up with christianity and around it alot (used to go to church but not in a very, very long time) as far as music, when I first heard the smashing pumpkins I felt close to God and heaven, that was the first thing that came to mind (and Amy Grant's music, the only christian music I'm holding onto)

*browneyedgirl* said:

:up:

I could go on about deep spiritual chrisitian things, growing up with christianity and around it alot (used to go to church but not in a very, very long time) as far as music, when I first heard the smashing pumpkins I felt close to God and heaven, that was the first thing that came to mind (and Amy Grant's music, the only christian music I'm holding onto)

You should check out this band Mute Math.

They're Christians AND they're on of Billy's favorite bands now.

(Check out the Pumpkin's myspace page)

Billy said in a fairly recent interview he's a Christian now, too.

Last edited:
I do not know if these things bring me closer to God or closer to me, but....So I'll answer this as if you asked what makes you feel most alive, if that's OK.

Friends, music, early morning, doing something with courage, watching someone else do something with courage, hockey, some books, genuine conections with other people, sex, being absolutely honest with myself, being pushed into thinking a different way, challenging and being challenged, good surprises, water, feeling like I make a difference.

Talking to Him in my own way, that's what prayer really is for me

Nature, beautiful creative things, goodness in other people, people who care and treat me kindly, animals, doing for others/charitable work, sometimes music can, sometimes church does.

I go to what's basically a nondenominational church and we do the centering prayer. We also do something called Lectio Divina, where it's centering prayer, but with scriptural meditation, too. It's the most incredible thing.

Getting out into nature with a camera does it for me. Getting out away from the cities into (relatively) unspoiled nature forces me to slow down and appreciate my surroundings more, and really just marvel at the beauty in the world. It's easy to lose sight of that in the daily grind, so I try to take at least a quick daytrip somewhere every couple weeks or so.

I admit that when I do go back to church, I do feel a sense of comfort, but more because it's what I grew up with than because of any strong connection to God I feel there. Which is one of the big reasons I rarely go now.

BonosSaint said:
I do not know if these things bring me closer to God or closer to me, but....So I'll answer this as if you asked what makes you feel most alive, if that's OK.

Friends, music, early morning, doing something with courage, watching someone else do something with courage, hockey, some books, genuine conections with other people, sex, being absolutely honest with myself, being pushed into thinking a different way, challenging and being challenged, good surprises, water, feeling like I make a difference.

What if there is no good suprises for years?What would you think about God?
My answer would be:helping others. (what brings mer closer to God, if anything) and philosophy

Witnessing something beautiful in nature, being moved by a piece of music while singing in my choir.

Praying and reading the Bible mostly. Also things like music and nature and such. The times I feel closest to God are when I'm just feeling happy and high on life for no particular reason.

girlhappy said:

What if there is no good suprises for years?What would you think about God?

I've lowered my expectations for what constitutes a good surprise. And lowered my expectations for whatever God may or may not be out there.

I agree with redhotswami. I find my spirituality within my soul and my heart. I don't go to church or read the Bible regularly and don't feel those things necessary to be "religious" or "Spiritual" but I know what to do when I feel the need to center and search for answers or work things through within myself. And I do these things in different ways--meditation, journaling, listening to music, driving or walking/hiking. All of these things work for me. I also pray. Those quiet times, like meditation, are very comforting.

The Disciple said:

I loved this post by the way.

You know what, I'm right with you all in your replies. My first choice is outdoors. I can be on a lake, camping, or even riding my bike right in downtown Grand Rapids.

But there is something about church for me that really helps me. Maybe it's my attitude towards it. When i go, I always prepare myself to find at least one thing to take with me for the week. That doesn't even have to be in the sermon. It honestly could be in a conversation after the service.

I dunno, I'm old skool like that. I don't disrespect you all and your views. In fact, some weekends, I just need that bike ride. Especially when it's so nice outside. :wink:

The innocense, the open minds and hearts of babies and children. It's that thing we try to get away from when we are kids so that we can do all the things that "all the big people do"

Then we find out that the world of big big people is just full of its own bloated, self worshipping cynical shit.

The last half of life we tend to want to reconnect with that youth, that purity (at least that's what's in my heart). My twin boys keep me interested because they are interested.

Nothing. I choose to run my life without guideance from a book. Its crazy i think. I grew up a lutheran and went to church when i was young but when I grew up, I decided religion wasn't for me. I'm a great person at heart and think that should be good enough. I don't like it when people come up to me and preach god to me because I look disabled and need gods help, :lol: its annoying. I just want some female companionship and a beer, thank you very much!

However, I do in my mind, secretly, on my own time.. talk up to him and my grandmothers who passed away for help with issues/wishes that come up every now and then. I just hate the idea of going to church, saying out loud "hey jesus is my savior" etc or being preached to by religious evangelists.

U2 is sort of my religion but I won't see them as much in concerts as i have in past tours from now on as I am almost finished with school and have to move forward in my life with work, etc..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom