What are you scared of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So here is yet another thread for us Zoo Confessional-enthusiasts :bonodrum:

And the topic of interest - fear. I suppose this could refer to the somewhat infantile "monster under the bed" fear, but I'm sure we all have a few fears/ concerns/ trepidations concerning things that run much deeper.

As of right now, I am scared shitless of the LSAT :eek: And taking it a step further, I'm absolutely terrified of the future - what career am I going to settle on? Will I enjoy it? How am I going to pay back the inevitable metric-fuckton student loan that I'll be taking out? :crazy: And if I actually do go to law school, it's most certainly going to be out of this state... which means I'm pretty much going to be starting a new life. And where will that be? Can I make it without the circle of friends and family that I've cultivated here over my 26-year existence?

So yes, there's that. Anyone else care to share whatever foreboding dark cloud might be hovering over their head?

I'm scared that my uber boxsets have been stolen by a mad UK customs dude and never made it across the border. :sad:

On a more serious note.. I don't think I'm that scared of stuff, much. Can't really think of anything right now.

I'm scared of losing people I love and care about. So much so, that every time I make a new friend, I put up a kind of wall so that they can't hurt me. :sigh:

But why do you think that's because you're scared? Because that's actually what most people do when they first meet people. There's this period of time with a new friendship where most people have a wall up. That fades overtime, as the friendship gets closer.

Mine doesn't fade so easily. If you don't get close, you can't get hurt. That is how I feel anyways, but everyone is different.

I'll bite on the phobias side. I'm terrified by things like mice and bugs, things that may be creeping around my house :shudder: . I'm also terrified of the dark. And being robbed/attacked/raped/etd.

In general, I have a shit ton of anxiety lol.

On the real stuff fears, I'm scared of never being able to afford having a house and children. I'm also scared of never finding a job I'm happy with and getting out of college debt.

Did I mention the anxiety issues?

Mine doesn't fade so easily. If you don't get close, you can't get hurt. That is how I feel anyways, but everyone is different.

Yet if you don't let people get close, you can't feel true friendship. It's something you have to weigh for yourself. What's more important? Getting hurt, or having friendship?

So I guess you could also say I am scared of getting close to people. :shrug: Just confessing my fear.

I'm just trying to understand it, not trying to annoy you. I just don't really have a good concept of fears people have, because it's so irrational to me. I just don't really understand it. That's why I ask.

As most of you know, I'm quite a bit older than you guys. I guess the thing that I am scared of is that as I get even older, I will lose my intelligence and my physical abilities. Not near there yet, but the years do go by! :reject:

I'm scared of blood, being alone for too long, being alone in the dark *shudders*, that I will completely fail at working life and end up doing something I don't want to do, that I will always be too shy and not daring enough to make really big decisions, that I'll die painfully or too young, without getting the chance to do everything I want to, and that, worst of all, I'll get bad grades for the rest of the school year. :huh: (Okay, that last one actually came out sounding serious... intended as a very bad joke.)
That was interesting to think of... I know it's stupid to have so many worries about the future but I can't help it. A teenager's got to know these things.

my phobias are so stupid i don't even want to talk about them. not in a bad way, i just hate that i have any phobias at all.

but on a less serious note, i'm scared of failing a class this semester. i'm scared i won't be able to graduate when i think i can, be it from failing a class and/or them not waiving some silly prerequisites. and i'm really scared of graduating and i'll have to get a "real" job and start paying off these crazy expensive student loans. and finally, i'm scared that after all this, the best i'll be able to do jobwise is the same shit i was doing before, but at least then i didn't have $80k+ in student loans. at least when this is all over i'll have two degrees (i guess?) to show for my efforts.

I'll go ahead and say the future. What happens when I eventually quit my current job within the next 12 months. I litterally have nothing to fall back on. I will complete my qualification mid next year, but I don't want to work in this industry anymore. Its just not for me. I will be married in 23 days (and I can't wait to be!) but where does the money come from? what do I do next? start again from scratch? I have to find something new, but I don't know what Gah!

I have trouble swallowing pills because I have a fear of choking. Little round pills don't bother me, but the big torpedo-shaped ones are impossible. I don't understand how anyone can swallow those. I have to chew them or open them up and eat the powder.

Also, my student loans scare me. I've been paying them for a year now and they're still the same size because of interest. I have a new part-time job, so that helps a little, but a really bad experience with my last job has made it hard for me to relax.

:bump:

Losing people, especially one person that I have come to rely on.

Letting people down.

Facing the prospect of saying good bye, because I am not ready to.

Not being able to let go of the past, so it is going to affect my future and my ability to trust people.

"The things we fear the most have already happened to us." - Deepak Chopra

It's only a matter of acceptance, you have to completely accept the fact that what you feared has already happened to you along with its life-changing negative consequences. It's very hard to accept and adapt to that change, and it's human nature to not accept those life changes and ignore them, kind of pretending to think that nothing has happened and yet people still continue with the same fear.

That's why you shouldn't be afraid of anything, we all die in the end.

I'm not necessarily afraid of death, but I am afraid to die without having done certain things in life. I wouldn't want my eulogy to be empty. I want it to be about how I did X, Y and Z. If my eulogy is empty, then my life was wasted. I am afraid to die too soon.

Back
Top Bottom