Weighty issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravenette

The Fly
I'm not a huge person, but I'm no matchstick either.

What I am is a person who has spent most her life trying to maintain a weight a few kilos lighter than what she is....but is (always) unsuccessful in doing so! :mad:

Whenever I get close to the weight I want to be....NO MATTER WHAT I gain it all back on!! AGRGHHHH!!!

I just seem to "settle" back to the weight I simply don't want to be.

Can anyone relate?

yep I can. This goes along with the scientific theory that your body has a predetermined weight that is caused by genetics. I got the heavier body type...my sister got the one where she can eat like a horse and still weigh 98 pounds soaking wet....I hate her! lol

edited to add: My sister has a different dad as my mother was married before, hence the different genetic make up.

Last edited:
So is it physically impossible to maintain a desired weight? (And obviously, I mean in the healthy weight range).

I didn't want to hear that! But I'm sick to death of spending my life being unhappy about it, even though I know I wont be happy unless I can be the weight I want to be - it's as simple as that! :(

Last edited:
I do agree with the predestined body type theory, but diet and what one eats has alot to do with it. My whole life I've been obsessed with my weight, and even was anorexic in high school. Got through college with a gastrointestinal ailment and now am a vegetarian to keep weight off - it's not fun, but I maintain. :shrug:

I've tried a number of fad diets in the past couple years...nah, nothing seems to hold...I was going through a box of old photos last night, I saw that I've always been big...a big upper body, thin legs but stocky around the middle...same since the 70's, 80's, 90's and now...in my 20's 30's and 40's, I was in pretty good athletic condition, I'm not as active nowadays but I try...

So I wonder, should I really try to lose weight or just exercise to get it more proportional???? :hmm: any thoughts, anyone in the same boat?

Mr. BAW said:
I've tried a number of fad diets in the past couple years...nah, nothing seems to hold...I was going through a box of old photos last night, I saw that I've always been big...a big upper body, thin legs but stocky around the middle...same since the 70's, 80's, 90's and now...in my 20's 30's and 40's, I was in pretty good athletic condition, I'm not as active nowadays but I try...

So I wonder, should I really try to lose weight or just exercise to get it more proportional???? :hmm: any thoughts, anyone in the same boat?

Just exercise a little and lose some of the bad eating habits,...i did that and did lose 14 kg in 6 months. It does not sound much but even after eating more at the party month December is do stay at my new weight ( still losing about a half kg a month now :up: )

BTW, i was always big from my younger years on.

Genetics, some people use them as an excuse for looking bad. "I have bad genetics, therefore i must be fat and get picked on and made fun of and be called fat" or "i have bad genetics, therefore i will always weigh 100lbs and get beat up by everyone because im so skinny." That is all total 100% bullshit! If your fat, its not your genetics, sure they play a part in making you fat, but its your fault you stay fat! If your skinny, stop complaining that because your dads so skinny, and your mom is so skinny, that you will forever have to be a skinny little punk. Its your parents fault for giving you those skinny genes, but its your fault for staying skinny! The skinny kid can gain weight and put on muscle, and the fat kid can loss weight and put on muscle. Everyone can win, you just have to play the game and play it right!

There are 3 body types...

Ectomorph - These are the skinny people. These guys have the fastest metabolism of them all. The ones who have been skinny all there life. They are skinny for a reason. This body type makes these ectomorphs lucky and unlucky. Good news, they are lucky because they will always have a lower body fat then all the other body types. These guys will be able to loss weight and loss fat faster then everyone else. Bad news, its extremely hard for these guys to gain weight and muscle mass. These guys have to eat and eat and eat to put on just a little weight.

Mesomorph - These guys have the best of both worlds. These are the in-between people. The ones that might be skinny, might be fat, or might be in the middle. They have a metabolism slower then the ectomorphs, but its a little harder for them to lose weight, and a little easier for them to gain weight..

Endomorph - The slowest metabolism of them all. These guys have the hardest time losing weight and keeping it off. But these guys have it easy when it comes to gaining weight, problem is, they gain to much..

Figure out which one is you. I am an ectomorph, I was always refered to as "skin and bones" by my grandma. But just because im an ectomorph, that doesn't mean i can't be 200lbs of pure muscle, with a 5% body fat. And the endomorphs can be 120lbs if they want to be. They can be called skin and bones by their grandma's. They can also be 200lbs of pure muscle, or.. they can even be 275lbs of pure muscle because of their weight gaining ease. Mesomorphs can be all of the above..

try to eat well and get a decent amount of exercise--the key is to be healthy so you'll look your best no matter what size your body is. it really does come from the inside.

i know it's easier said than done, but it's true.

if you're still not happy with your body shape, maybe try some pilates. some of my friends who are into it are definitely not the skinniest people around, but they always look fantastic.

good luck, stay healthy.

:up:

I learned the hard way that what they say is right - you CANT spot reduce. In HS, I did gymnastics so I was working out 2-3 hrs a day, 5 days a week with another workout on Saturdays at a different gym and also biked 20 miles a day during the summer. I got quite fit and had a nice six-pack of abs. When I started college I had to quit b/c I had to work so much more in order to afford school, This summer I tried to get nice abs again by doing 400-500 crunches/sit-ups/V-ups a day all summer and......nothing! I have my dad's body type to thank :rolleyes: I'm taking a weight training course right now (not by choice - one of our core PE requirements) and what we learned as well as what I've read is that it's impossible to tone a specific muscle area unless you're actually losing weight by changing diet and diong cardio exercises at the same time (like when I was in gymnastics). I want my ripped abs back! :scream:

Oh yessss, I can definitely relate. Whenever I eat a slice of cake or generally have even one larger than normal meal, it immediately ends up on the thighs the next day, :mad: I've struggled to maintain my desired weight all my life and managed to do so for a long period of time only once.

dandy said:

if you're still not happy with your body shape, maybe try some pilates. some of my friends who are into it are definitely not the skinniest people around, but they always look fantastic.

good luck, stay healthy.

:up:

I've only just got home form my Pilates class!

I guess the biggest trap for me is when I'm tired - that's when my body really craves food (particularly sugar).
Lifestyle obviously has a lot to do with it, so I can see how people's occupation can play a major role with the struggle.
(Not to mention the other pressures of everyday life!)

@ Saracene - nice to hear from a fellow Melbournian. :)

Back
Top Bottom