Weight loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Week 0 - 162.2
Week 1 - 160.0
Week 2 - 156.8
Week 3 - 155.4
Week 4 - 154.0

So far down 8.2 lbs in 2013! Pleased with progress so far. I'm having pretty major surgery this week so I don't really know what to expect. On the one hand I'll be eating nothing/liquid diet for 3-4 days so that should drop the pounds fast but on the other there is always a lot of water swelling after surgery especially because this is an abdominal surgery. So my next weigh in might be wacky.

Great job on the weight loss! Good luck with the surgery!

Today marks 24 weeks for me and 72 lbs down. Now weigh under 200 lbs for the first time since 2009 and I'm 10 lbs away from the least I've weighed as an adult of 6'2".

Just wanted to share this meme with everyone:

397510_513412522032799_1786083319_n_zps8ea3afa4.jpg

This sums up some days for me :slant:

I've only gone over 1600 calories in a day 3 times since August 12th. Have not gone over 2000 once. I'm pretty proud of that. I'm two weeks away from a half a year WITHOUT A SINGLE SLIP UP. :D

I've only gone over 1600 calories in a day 3 times since August 12th. Have not gone over 2000 once. I'm pretty proud of that. I'm two weeks away from a half a year WITHOUT A SINGLE SLIP UP. :D

Grrrrr! :angry:

:up: No, really - I'm happy that you've been able to do that!

That's amazing! I am always so impressed with people who never slip up...I think it's made very difficult in some situations - ie. when people go on vacation and for me personally, as a corporate lawyer you are stuck going to client dinners pretty often and many, many times they are at restaurants where it's really hard to stick a diet. Especially when you are networking and don't want to be seen as the person who is offending the hosts by being overly picky. I just always hope that there is a fish option on the menu and then I pass on the starches (potatoes or rice) in favour of extra vegetables. That in itself goes a long way.

Back from the hospital, ended up having a much bigger surgery than anticipated. Have a pretty gruesome 6-7 inch scar across my abdomen and another couple of smaller 1-inchers a bit higher up. Swollen like the Michelin man from all the IV fluids they pushed inside me (seriously, can barely make a fist with my left hand, that's how swollen it is). Definitely not weighing myself this weekend b/c I probably have about 8-10 lbs of water that will be pee'd out over the next week or so. I know that beneath all that I lost weight since I was consuming like 0-500 cals for 3-4 days. Otherwise the surgeon suggested I don't really diet for the next 7-10 days b/c the body chews up a lot more calories while replacing muscle so I will try to eat all my WW points every day and maybe have a few extra here and there.

Really interested in what the scale will read in a couple of weeks though!

I really want to lose some weight because I have to be a bridesmaid in April. My job makes it hard because I work at a small restaurant that has really good food. Temptation is everywhere. I just need to start exercising. I hate exercise.

the reason you are successful is because you know these numbers

you don't just mindlessly eat like most of us do, our bodies have to deal with everything we eat, a meal at the Cheese Cake Factory can easily be in the 3000-4000 range. There is a reason we all weigh the weight we do.

Not luck, chance or good genes. Just simple arithmetic.

I wish there was a way that we all had to read and sign off on the calories we eat each day. If I had a 5000 calorie day I could not pretend I did not eat that much.
My waist line knows the truth and does not lie or rationalize it away.

I actually figured out retroactively that for the year I lived in Spokane, I was consuming close to 30,000 calories a week. Nowadays I'm averaging closer to 10,000. Huge, huge difference.

Some other fun, simple arithmetic (as of this morning). I've lost 27% of the weight I carried August 12th. Or in terms of how much I weigh today, I've lost 37% of my current body weight. Or to put it another way, I've lost the weight equivalent of my guitar amp (which is fucking heavy, by the way) filled with a couple large bags of potatoes! That was, like, on me! When I think about it that way, I'm even more proud of what I've accomplished and look forward to continuing!

^

I was reading this weekend that the average person consumes between 3000-5000 calories at a Super Bowl party (that's not counting everything else that they eat that day). Blew my mind even though it's pretty obvious with the types of foods eaten on that day that the math adds up really quickly. But your 30,000 cals per week is probably something that many people do, and while they know that they're overeating, they probably don't realize the extent of it because they're not breaking it down to simple math.

Here are my stats since surgery - weighing myself 48 hrs after surgery, I gained 5.5 lbs. Obviously sounds insane given that I was on a liquid diet (only broth/jello/water/juice) the day before the surgery and didn't eat any food for 48 hours afterwards. But that goes to show you how much water you gain from (i) swelling and (ii) IV infusion. I weighed myself this morning, 8 days after the surgery and 6 days after my initial post-surgery weigh-in and I'm 3 lbs lighter than before surgery. So that's an 8.5 lb swing in 6 days. Crazy! My hands and feet were totally swollen, so were my ankles, etc and obviously my abdomen. My abdominal swelling is down about 50% and all the other swelling has abated so I estimate there is probably still a pound or so of water to be lost. Now looking forward to the weigh-in on Saturday. :)

Week 0 - 162.2
Week 1 - 160.0
Week 2 - 156.8
Week 3 - 155.4
Week 4 - 154.0
Week 5 - didn't weigh myself (surgery)
Week 6 - 147.4

14.8 lbs in 2013. Really happy!

Week 0 - 162.2
Week 1 - 160.0
Week 2 - 156.8
Week 3 - 155.4
Week 4 - 154.0
Week 6 - 147.4
Week 7 - 146.4

15.8 lbs in total so far. :)

:hi5:

Tomorrow or Monday, I'll be buying a new pair of jeans because the ones I have are hanging off of me - and they're size 12! So here's hoping I can get into a size 8 because the black pants I wear to work are that size! :pray:

Also, once a month, I try on my old pants - the ones I wore when I was able to wear size 6 or even size 4. Most of them I am still unable to come close to buttoning and zipping, but there are two that I think I could by next month. That is my prediction and my hope. I may not be able to wear them anywhere because they might be too tight, but if I can actually zip and button them, I've made a milestone!

76.5 lbs in 27 weeks. 23.5 more to go in 19 weeks to hit my goal of 100 by July 1st! BMI is under 25 for the first time in over 3 years!

I bought my new jeans - size 8!

I also went for my weigh-in yesterday - 189 pounds. I also measured my waist, as I do each week - 36.5, the smallest I've been in years.

:applaud:

:applaud:

I'm 10 pounds away from my lightest weight as an adult. But even then, I'll have to lose about 15 pounds more. I never weighed 165 or less before - except when I was growing up.

I'm starting to look for swimwear this year. I can get away with a two-piece now!

Same here. The least I've ever weighed is 188 as an adult. That was on my wedding day. My ultimate goal is to be 160. That would be over 40% of my starting weight gone. I have 33 lbs more until I get there. I'm hoping to get there by next New Year's Day.

Ok, I've avoided this thread a bit, because school was overwhelming me, as was work, and I'm not sure why, but I just kept gaining weight no matter what I did, it was weird.

Anyways, I think between January 9th and now, the most I got up to was 175.

I'm now back to about where I was last April when I hit my (adult) all-time low: 163.

I can't tell you how happy this makes me :).

Congrats!

I've stopped using Weight Watchers as I didn't feel it was fair to pay each month just for weigh-ins and using the website to track my food. Now I'm using MyFitness Pal, which works the same way, only it counts calories plus fat, carbs and protein. One thing better is that at the end of each day, when you save your daily entries, it gives a note saying thaty if you continue eating the way you did that particular day, you'll weigh XYZ pounds in 5 weeks. Very encouraging! Better yet, the whole thing is free!

Those things are really interesting. I haven't tried one because sometimes it's difficult to know exact measurements of things when you don't have a food scale (like meats, fruits, vegetables, anything that isn't prepackaged). I have been estimating. I always estimate on the high end. Also, once my BMI hit 25, which is in the normal zone, I decided that instead of still going as hard as I was and risking a flameout, I've bumped up my max calories-per-day from 1600 to 2000. As my body at idle is currently burning between 2350 and 2400 per day, that sets me up to lose at least 1 lb ever 10 days still, which is about as healthy a rate I can think of for someone in the normal BMI range. I can't wait for spring when I will finally start going on long walks a couple days a week!

Okay I'm going to finally join you guys here too, after long time lurking, because it's great inspiration reading your success stories. While I've not been extremely overweight most my life, it's crept on slowly with age. In my 20's I weighed in the 120's, in my 30's I weighed in the 130's, and same with the 40's. Sure enough, since hitting my 50's just over a year ago, I'm right in there. :sigh: Recently I was looking at hitting 160 so that freaked me out. I had never tried counting calories in my life, but I started 10 days ago since it seemed to be working for you guys, and I'm really happy with it! I've realized it hasn't been hard to make a few changes as my meal portions were pretty much on target. But it was the snacking that was my weakness. And dessert portions. :reject: So anyway, I'm finding that this is finally working! Diets never worked for me because I felt deprived of things I liked, and gave in. Now I have most the things I like, but I know when to stop. Thanks for the inspiration! :D

Congrats to everyone on their weight loss! Just wanted to add that I tracked calories on MyFitnessPal for a long time and it worked great! Very handy since I always had my phone with me, and the more you use it, the more it remembers things you eat often, so it gets easier. I was able to maintain my weight during that time. Good luck!

Also MyFitness Pal seems to have a longer list of food, dishes and brands. Weight Watchers was more limited and I had to substitute one brand for another, like a Starbucks coffee, or often calculate the food myself - if it mentioned any of its nutrition.

Forgot to update last week, because we were moving into our new house.

Week 0 - 162.2
Week 1 - 160.0
Week 2 - 156.8
Week 3 - 155.4
Week 4 - 154.0
Week 6 - 147.4
Week 7 - 146.4
Week 8 - 147.9
Week 9 - 147.1

Had a blip of a week, which made a lot of sense because we were moving so we had to eat whatever we had in the house. Fixed that up a bit this week, back on track.

Also gone back to the gym this week. I am pretty close to my goal of 140 and my surgeon cleared me to start walking/jogging. Hopefully in another couple of weeks I'll be able to hit the bike and then little by little, weight training. Super pumped to get toned again!

Although I think BMI is kind of dumb, I just checked it. Started the diet at 24.7 (which is on the high end of normal) and now am at 22.4, nearing the midpoint of normal. :)

Back
Top Bottom