Was I wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Ok so I am a receptionist for *company name removed, per request* I am a contractor. So anyways I work in one of the branch offices out here in San Francisco. I have had problems with my boss in the past where I send in a request for security work to fixed. Many times they will pass it off to facilities or just ignore my requests. Facilities gets mad when the security department passes work that is not part of their department is dumped on them. An example of my management either ignoring or being lazy was a year ago. The Executive Admins asked if we could get some locks fixed for some closets so they can store their old paperwork in there. After sending many many requests which were ignored or they acted like they did not know what to do the Admins (client who we work for) complained to me and I said I will cc you when I email them where we could have a locksmith out. It took 3 months for a locksmith to come out and fix 4 locks.

It took another year for them to fix all the security cameras on another floor after I told them they needed fixing and during that time a laptop was stolen thanks to a breach by an employee letting a stranger into the space thinking they were an employee.

We are tenants in the building so proceedure is to let the management know that a vendor is coming in to install or fix security related hard ware and that the proper insurance papers are filled out. Which they never do.

I go through the chain of command and so finally I sent an email to my bosses about the building proceedures when a vendor comes out, why do they ignore my requests of work that needs to be done. My boss called me back telling me I am getting a reputation as being the biggest pain in the ---- and if I don't lye low I will be axed from this location.

So was my email I sent justified? Should I also inform my union about this. I told my other boss here in San Francisco (who I am good friends with) and he asked I fwd the email to him and said what my boss in cupertino said was innappropriate.

I am only doing my job and making sure all is working and secure.

This post has been edited by spectre: Today, 11:08 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably justified. I don't know the exact email you sent though, so it's hard to tell how your tone or language came off.

I've found in the corporate world, it's not what you do, but how you do it. You can be the brightest bulb, produce the greatest work, but if you're kind of a douche, you'll get treated like one.

Yet people who don't do as great of work, but have great communication skills, they get treated better.

While from your story I agree it was right to send, I don't know the whole story.

Chances are, if things are really that bad, would it be better to start looking for a new place of employment?

It sounds like you work in a place with a pretty rigid structure. Most of the time, places like that don't have any idea how to deal with things that are outside of the normal issues. It sounds like no one knows who is suppose to get what taken care of it, so they just keep sending it to another department.

Is it your job to inform the proper channels on issues like that? Or are you just trying to be proactive and get something done? If it isn't your job, then what you did is probably viewed as stepping on someone else's toes. Some places are just set in their ways and don't take kindly to people who try to do more than just their job. And if I read your post right, not only did you tell him what needed to be done, you informed him of what the procedures were.

Right or wrong, it was probably a bad move. Some places just don't fit certain individuals, and you may not be the right fit there. They probably just want someone who sits there, shuts their mouth, and does exactly what the are told.

It's not my job. I go through the proper channels to make a work ticket, but my managers don't seem to care and even when the client is complaining they say well tell our department does not handle it, when that is a total lie.

It isn't your job and they don't take kindly on you doing it, even if your intentions are good. How you go about it doesn't matter. If it is really frustrating to you, you may want to find something else because I doubt anything will change, other than someone making your work life a living hell.

There is only so much you can do. If it is something that you really aren't responsible for, all you can do is report and let the people who are responsible for it take care of it. It may be frustrating, but it is kind of out of your hands. You can't control whether or not the people you report the problem to will deal with it. It may mean that it makes it harder for you to do your job though...and if you are in that sort of an environment, perhaps you should keep an open mind in regards to seeking out other job opportunities.

I'll also add one thing:

Originally posted by Justin24
Ok so I am a receptionist for *company name removed, per request* I am a contractor. So anyways I work in one of the branch offices out here in San Francisco.

An example of my management either ignoring or being lazy was a year ago.

Not that I am overly paranoid, but on the internet I don't think I would tell people the company I work for and the location. If I did...I certainly wouldn't be badmouthing co-workers, particularly management, if I was to do so.

The odds of your boss coming across this and knowing that it's you? Slim...but the chance exists. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Was I wrong?

Bonochick said:

Not that I am overly paranoid, but on the internet I don't think I would tell people the company I work for and the location. If I did...I certainly wouldn't be badmouthing co-workers, particularly management, if I was to do so.

The odds of your boss coming across this and knowing that it's you? Slim...but the chance exists. Just something to keep in mind.

Yeah, but what if he wants to go out like that? Like Jon Bon Jovi and the proverbial blaze of glory? Justin never drew first but he drew first blood. He's no one's son. Call him young gun. Weir wah a wah wah wah, weir wah a wah wah wah. He's submitted tickets to the fullest. He wants to get fired like a man. Staring down a locksmith, let him make his final stand.

SHOT DOWN!

Know what I mean? Could be the case. I dunno. :shrug:

Maybe his corp will give him one more try.

oh and Justin - is there somebody within human resources you can talk to? some places have this sort of office mediation thing. besides, text communication is weird, and often left open to interpretation, thus resulting in many unfortunate misunderstandings.

Sounds like the company where I work, Justin. There are too many Chiefs and not enough Indians per se and upper management cares more about whether the worker bees are out and abour the plant being seen and whether "processes and procedures" are constantly modified and up dated and being followed than anything else. It makes me sick. As for email communication in the workplace also you have to be really careful who you copy, how you word things. I have learned the hard way. Short simple and to the point in as least amount of verbage as possible with neutral tone and always a lot of "Thanks!" as well. It's crazy and I tend to go against the grain in may cases in the workplace, but I've learned in all my years it's just a job. You need to decide if YOU want to continue working there and if so basically comply. Shut uo and do what is outlined as only your responsibilities. Keep your nose clean, crank the work and leave it all behind you when you go home. Oh and always ALWAYS CYA-Cover Your Backside.

I can tell you horror stories about my employer and the number of times ex employees have sued and won lawsuits against them. Like I said what it all boils down to is what you need to do in order to continue to choose to work there becuz if it's a crappy place of employment and has been, I wouldn't count on many positive changes happening anytime soon.

Good luck to you. I am waiting for something better to come along. (It's easier to find another job while you are still employed!) :wink:

Justin - is there someone in the company who's job it is to actually fill out these tickets? If so, then I suggest that when people come to you, in a very can do attitiude, let them know who they should be going to in order to have the tickets filled out. Along the lines of:

"I'd love to help you, however I've found that those requests get actioned a lot faster when they're submitted through the right channel. Just contact X and have them fill out the ticket and I'm sure it will be taken care of quickly"

can do, right positioning, not blaming, you still get to help people however your name is not coming up repeatedly which it sounds is something you should avoid, REGARDLESS of you being in the right or wrong here.

good luck :up:

and now I'm going to reward my helpfulness with the answer I really wanted to give without even having read the post*:

yes.

*doesn't matter who started the thread, I always want to answer question threads with yes or no, whichever is least helpful.

Back
Top Bottom