This makes me irrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
On television or on film, we always see overweight men with hot women, or even ugly guys with really good looking women. And how often does the reverse happen in real life? Or even on tv, you will never see a hot guy with an overweight woman. Take the King of Queens for example. I don't watch it, but look at the couple here:

publicityphotos_pict6_lg.jpg

Yeah, he's a delivery guy. OK, he must have a good personality or be dynamite in bed. Whatever, l'm sure she wouldn't give him the time of day in the real world. Because of all this, I really love the tirade Rosie O'Donnell's character goes on in Beautiful Girls--it's fabulous.

Anyway, I'm probably not even making sense now, but I really needed to vent.

Oh, and one more thing. I am fed up with going into women's clothing stores, picking up a shirt that is a large or XL, and it looks like it could fit a 10 year old girl. No wonder so many of us have such fucked up views on our bodies--most of us 'normal' women can't even fit into regular clothes.

:angry:end of rant:angry:

:yes: I agree it does have us have a bad view of our bodies

I hate going into these stores and like I try on large cos that's my regular size and they only go up to my belly button and whatever is written on there is stretched beyond recongnition cos it's probably really a size medium! I mean I have my flab and big boobs but geez! LOL :huh:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
note... that's tv.

Yes, like I said. But if it is 'just tv', than why is it so hard to find the reverse of this equation even on television?

I think that Tv give us a lot of weird role models that are not very realistic. The thing about fat guys with pretty girls is just a ridiculization of the real thing. I know thin, nice girls who date ugly guys, because they find another things that atract them, my last boyfriend was fat (I'm not hot) but I liked him a lot. also, I know very handsome guys who are with ugly girls (sometimes I say "what a waste!!").

I don't believe in the "ugly with ugly, pretty with pretty" thing. People just meet and found special things in others. Tv is just an exageration....

I have noticed this on TV for awhile now lately. Especially in commericals, like the Disney trip ones, food, or whatever, it happens a lot. You have "Daddy" who is bald or balding, overweight and unattractive, and "Mommy" who is young looking, skinny and pretty, and she's all over him. You NEVER see this vice versa, an overweight, less than pretty girl with a hot guy. It does send a bad message, and it pisses me off too.

George Costanza on "Seinfeld"...Dad and I always ponder how a short, stocky, bald man could get so many hot chicks. :laugh:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
note... that's tv.

hot chicks with fat ugly guys in real life is just about as rare as hot guys with fat ugly chicks.

It's not that 'it's TV' and not real, it's the message it sends that it's okay for a guy to be that way but a girl can't be. That's what gives so many young girls eating disorders and low self esteem.

The only part that I understand is... being funny is a very attractive quality, and these guys are usually in comedies. I can't think of a case like this in a drama :hmm:

So where then are the funny overweight women w/ hot guys? :eyebrow:

And it's such a ridiculous standard that Leah Remini is in all likelihood deemed by Hollywood to be overweight

~LadyLemon~ said:

JUST MAYBE when they first met, he wasn't "fat and ugly." :shrug:

Its kinda funny that people are bitching about "young females and self-imagine" when you are judging this guy calling him "fat and ugly."

all i know is, the heterosexual AsianAmerican male is the most underrepresented species in Hollywood media...

I mean, there's never been a AsianAmerican male in MTV's Real World. What's up wit dat?! :angry:

Re: Re: This makes me irrate

zoney! said:

JUST MAYBE when they first met, he wasn't "fat and ugly." :shrug:

Its kinda funny that people are bitching about "young females and self-imagine" when you are judging this guy calling him "fat and ugly."

I never said he was unattractive. I'm just weakly spouting off here, and I'm sick of double standards. I know what it's like to have someone act negatively toward me because of my weight, and I'm not that overweight. Guess I'm just bitter...

~LadyLemon~ said:
Oh, and one more thing. I am fed up with going into women's clothing stores, picking up a shirt that is a large or XL, and it looks like it could fit a 10 year old girl. No wonder so many of us have such fucked up views on our bodies--most of us 'normal' women can't even fit into regular clothes.

:angry:end of rant:angry:

This drives me absolutely nuts. Add big boobs to the picture and it's 10x worse. I have a sweater from the Gap that I bough before they changed their sizes several years ago - it's a Large and it swims on me. Now, if I try on a large at the Gap... it's "almost" comical.

What annoys me when shopping for clothes is getting a pair of jeans. Almost all the jeans out there are these low-rise or super low rise that come up to right about the hip joints. The pants I wear are usually right below the waist and I can hardly find any! I have a little too much on my stomach, and it feels like the fashion world is telling me if my body isn't slim enough for these ultra-low rise pants, then there's something wrong with me.

theSoulfulMofo said:
all i know is, the heterosexual AsianAmerican male is the most underrepresented species in Hollywood media...

I mean, there's never been a AsianAmerican male in MTV's Real World. What's up wit dat?! :angry:

So true.

~LadyLemon~ said:
On television or on film, we always see overweight men with hot women, or even ugly guys with really good looking women. And how often does the reverse happen in real life?
are you trying to tell me I should give up hope?

Pearl said:
What annoys me when shopping for clothes is getting a pair of jeans. Almost all the jeans out there are these low-rise or super low rise that come up to right about the hip joints. The pants I wear are usually right below the waist and I can hardly find any! I have a little too much on my stomach, and it feels like the fashion world is telling me if my body isn't slim enough for these ultra-low rise pants, then there's something wrong with me.

Don't feel bad dear, I have the same problem. But you know something I've noticed? The pants that aren't that way, and the bigger sizes usually sell out the fastest and the really small stuff ends up on the clearance rack, which means that although TV, the movies and magazines would have you believe everyone is built that way, most real life people are not;) Another problem I have is I'm 34 and still prefer the sttyle and look of clothes in the juniors section, if I can wear them:lol:

I agree LadyLemon :down: I've noticed it before too, and it's just one more thing we can add to the double standards we see in society.

It's like that stupid freaking burger king commerical during the superbowl that still pisses me off- when a large woman gives a heartbroken man a burger and he falls in love with her for it- as if the burger is so amazing that it could make "even that" happen.

:tsk: whateverrr

I still am amazed at the difference between TV and magazines in the UK v. in the US. The women in the media are SO much more normal-looking here, in general. In those 'what to wear if you have big hips' articles in magazines, the women AREN'T all size 4's. Of course, there still aren't many overweight women in the media, but there are more people in the size 10-16 (6-12 US) range than I've ever seen on US tv, and the main characters aren't all fake blondes with too much makeup on.

Speaking of double standards don't forget American Idol, who told several nice sized girls they needed to lose weight, then crowned monstrously sized Rueben as the winner:rant: :( If a girl anywhere near the size of him had dared show up she'd have been laughed at or sent away fast no matter how she sounded.

Last edited:
originally posted by U2Kitten

Don't feel bad dear, I have the same problem. But you know something I've noticed? The pants that aren't that way, and the bigger sizes usually sell out the fastest and the really small stuff ends up on the clearance rack, which means that although TV, the movies and magazines would have you believe everyone is built that way, most real life people are not Another problem I have is I'm 34 and still prefer the sttyle and look of clothes in the juniors section, if I can wear them

That's true, its just that other day when I was looking for a new pair of jeans all these stores had mainly low-rise pants, so it really felt forced. But I found something beneath all that mess!

originally psoted by meeganie
I still am amazed at the difference between TV and magazines in the UK v. in the US. The women in the media are SO much more normal-looking here, in general. In those 'what to wear if you have big hips' articles in magazines, the women AREN'T all size 4's. Of course, there still aren't many overweight women in the media, but there are more people in the size 10-16 (6-12 US) range than I've ever seen on US tv, and the main characters aren't all fake blondes with too much makeup on.

That's one of the reasons why I like foreign movies. The actresses look like any other woman, in both size and looks.

Back
Top Bottom