Thinking of going to mortuary school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catman

Rock n' Roll Doggie
:uhoh:

I can't tell you how many odd looks I get from people to whom I've told this. Truthfully, I'm not completely sold on any career at the moment, but I'm most leading towards mortician/ funeral home director.

To generalize the topic at hand, I'd like to know if anyone here has chosen a career that friends/ relatives/ girl/boyfriends/ spouse/ all of the above may have frowned upon or expressed concern over.

MsPurrl said exactly what I was going to say - "someone has to do it". And if you're the kind of person who isnt' bothered by death and you feel like you can help others through difficult times in a respectful and tactful situation, then go for it.

Someone I grew up with went into that line of work.

I lost touch with him years ago. He seemed to like it at the time.

If you have not made up your mind, perhaps you should a few episodes of Six Feet Under, to get a clearer picture.

Hey, you'll never run out of customers! :D

:reject:

No seriously, if this is what you really want to do, then go for it. I don't see why anyone would frown on upon it.

Hey, you'll never run out of customers! :D

:reject:

No seriously, if this is what you really want to do, then go for it. I don't see why anyone would frown on upon it.

:lol:

True though, there's always need for people with that job, so you'd never be afraid of too much competition. And if it's something you want to do, I don't see why you shouldn't. :)

Thanks for the supportive feedback! I've really been researching this, and apparently it would have been better to have graduated with something in business... my English degree may not get me very far :shifty:

I love this place :hug:

My cousin is planning to go to school to do the same thing and her dad used to do it, too (I don't know if he still does).

If you have not made up your mind, perhaps you should watch a few episodes of Six Feet Under, to get a clearer picture.

Came in here to say the same thing.

If you're going into this line of work, you absolutely must watch Six Feet Under. Everybody really should anyway, as it's one of the better TV series I've ever seen.

Good luck.

Agree with what everyone said above.

The funeral home director who took care of my Dad when he passed away last year was one of the first and one of the nicest, most compassionate people I dealt with during that horrible time in my life.

He was a perfect fit for that line of work and was very, very well liked by all who knew him.

This gentleman actually just passed away from brain cancer, tragically, at the age of 59.

I only dealt with him for 1 week of my life but he had a tremendous impact on it and was one of the first people who made me somehow see that someday things would be ok.

I say if you are interested in this line of work and if you truly care about people, go for it!

Plus, from a career standpoint, the money is not bad either.

One of my friends went to school to be a funeral director. She's 22, and has a full-time job working in that field and she LOVES it. Also everyone who she has told has found it so interesting...she has so many stories! And I guess just because it's more unusual people are really interested.

It was interesting, I remember when she first told me that that was what she wanted to do, it immediately clicked that she was perfect for it. She was gentle and compassionate, but was also really good at planning things (like parties or whatever) so she would be great for the organizational aspect of being a funeral director.

Oh and in regard to schooling, she went to Humber College in Toronto, and pretty much graduated with a job because of her internships and all that. So I think you could make it work even with an English degree!

If one has the capabilities to do so it's a very good career, a close friend of mine does this and loves the fact that she can help people in such a time. It's not for everyone. She started at mortician and now runs the whole facility. She says its very fulfilling and from what I can tell she does pretty well financially.

Wow. It took long enough, but--10 years after having made this thread--I'm currently enrolled in the Funeral Services program. Cute.
I remember my girlfriend at the time wasn't completely fond of the idea, thus the impetus for this topic. Good times.

I think this might be my final post on Interference. Loved getting to sorta-kinda-pseudo-quasi-know you peeps. And if I never hear from any of you again, I hope you all have a great life ;D

Wow. It took long enough, but--10 years after having made this thread--I'm currently enrolled in the Funeral Services program. Cute.
I remember my girlfriend at the time wasn't completely fond of the idea, thus the impetus for this topic. Good times.

I think this might be my final post on Interference. Loved getting to sorta-kinda-pseudo-quasi-know you peeps. And if I never hear from any of you again, I hope you all have a great life ;D

:heart:

Catman, I wish you the best of everything! :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom