they're pulling the plug on my grandma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thousandfold

The Fly
I don't even know if this is the right place for this -- but I'm at work and I've got to tell someone.

I went with my mom to visit my grandparents back at Thanksgiving. While we were there, my uncle who lives with them said he was going to take my grandma for a doctor visit the following week on a sore in her mouth that wasn't healing. It turns out it was cancer. She went in for surgery last week but the cancer had spread much more that they thought. She wasn't recovering well and they had to do a tracheotomy so she could breathe. My mom and her two brothers conferenced and decided to monitor her for 6 weeks before unattaching the breathing and feeding tubes and stuff.

My mom just called and said that since the doctor said she had no chance of recovery, they've changed their minds now and are pulling the plug now. I just feel awful. I wanted to be there, but Mom says it's better this way. Mom said Grandma's living will is very clear that she did not want to be hooked up to a bunch of tubes to keep her alive.

I just can't stop crying at my desk, here at work. I feel so terrible that I'm not there.

thousandfold said:
I don't even know if this is the right place for this -- but I'm at work and I've got to tell someone.

I went with my mom to visit my grandparents back at Thanksgiving. While we were there, my uncle who lives with them said he was going to take my grandma for a doctor visit the following week on a sore in her mouth that wasn't healing. It turns out it was cancer. She went in for surgery last week but the cancer had spread much more that they thought. She wasn't recovering well and they had to do a tracheotomy so she could breathe. My mom and her two brothers conferenced and decided to monitor her for 6 weeks before unattaching the breathing and feeding tubes and stuff.

My mom just called and said that since the doctor said she had no chance of recovery, they've changed their minds now and are pulling the plug now. I just feel awful. I wanted to be there, but Mom says it's better this way. Mom said Grandma's living will is very clear that she did not want to be hooked up to a bunch of tubes to keep her alive.

I just can't stop crying at my desk, here at work. I feel so terrible that I'm not there.

omg, TF, i am so very sorry.
im mentally hugging you.

Oh I'm so sorry. We had to make the same decision with my mom last april, and it was very emotionally draining. Allow yourself to grieve and try to remember all the good times you had with her. Best wishes.

i'm so sorry. :sad:

please take care of yourself and allow yourself the time to grieve. and just remember, she'll always be with you when you remember her.

:hug:

I am so very sorry. I had to go through this myself, for my mother had a Living Will. She did not want any artificial means of keeping her alive. Like dandy said please take care of yourself, and grieve at your own pace. :hug:

I just got word that she went. My mom said she had the most beautiful death anyone could hope for. She said that sometimes it can take weeks after they unplug a person, for them to go, but they unplugged everything, and immediately her breathing slowed and her blood pressure dropped, and so they didn't move her to another room. They sat with her, and my mom told her that she had worked hard in life and she was free now. My uncle patted her head and told her to go towards the light, and fly away like a bird. And she smiled at both of them, and then she was gone. Just like that.

Thank you so very very much for all your kind wishes and smileyhugs. They help a lot.

thousandfold said:
I just got word that she went. My mom said she had the most beautiful death anyone could hope for. She said that sometimes it can take weeks after they unplug a person, for them to go, but they unplugged everything, and immediately her breathing slowed and her blood pressure dropped, and so they didn't move her to another room. They sat with her, and my mom told her that she had worked hard in life and she was free now. My uncle patted her head and told her to go towards the light, and fly away like a bird. And she smiled at both of them, and then she was gone. Just like that.

Thank you so very very much for all your kind wishes and smileyhugs. They help a lot.

:sad:

BIG :hug: from me to you babe.

Hi thousandfold, I'm so sorry about your Grandma. I just lost my Nana on Jan 26th, so I know how much it sucks. She is not suffering anymore, and neither is mine. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom