They told him to leave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
This past week has been extremely draining at work. My co-worker, desk neighbor, and friend sent in his letter of resignation in 4 weeks in advance. The policy is 2 weeks, but he really wanted to do the right thing. And the company's response was to say, leave immediately.

First off, the situation is I work at a small gym teaching kids sport and gymnastic skills. My friend did this, and was also in charge of the Tae Kwon Do program as well. Truth is, this is a perfect ladder job to get one experience and pay the bills.

Well, my friend is a 3rd degree black belt, has numerous connections in the area, and recently recieved a job offer that payed more, was all Tae Kwon Do based, and gave him even more responsiblity. He took this job immediately and was extatic.

Problem is, though he did seemingly everything right, my president and boss said he needed to pack up his desk and leave immediately. Here is a guy who helped this company for 4 years, was fully accreditated in teaching everything, ran the martial arts program, and they just send him off with a letter saying to the rest of us, "he'll be missed, but we must move on." He meant so much more to this company than that!

I understand the competition idea, but the way the upper management handled it just seemed so cold. Maybe this is my first big welcome to the real world. I dunno. The other thing is, there is still so much more still going on with my president/manager, my friend, and the Tae Kwon Do federation about ethics or something(they don't tell me anything, I'm near the bottom of the food chain at work :)) Things just aren't the same at work, and i'm stuck in the middle of a friend and a job.
And I don't want a new desky neighbor. :madspit:

Thanks for your time.
phil

Thats not an unusual departure method. Cruel as it is its actually less destructive to the remaining team members. It prevents outgoing staff members from deleting the database, knicking half the stationery supplies, slagging off the workplace, and generally undermining the atmosphere of the remaining staff members.

It is horrible but I see it as ripping off the bandaid quickly. Hurts like hell initially but the wound heals faster. (or sumfin :slant: )

I know. And truthfully, I understand better after talking to my manager the idea that if he stayed, he may take some of our clients and we survive by adding new students rather than losing them.

But I guess I'll have to keep you posted on this, but there is more going on now that is really upsetting my friend, and another co-worker that I don't know about. I probably will after the storm blows over, but for now, I'm out of the loop. Probably better that way. But thanks Beli, I understand that all and will keep you posted.

beli said:
Thats not an unusual departure method. Cruel as it is its actually less destructive to the remaining team members. It prevents outgoing staff members from deleting the database, knicking half the stationery supplies, slagging off the workplace, and generally undermining the atmosphere of the remaining staff members.

It is horrible but I see it as ripping off the bandaid quickly. Hurts like hell initially but the wound heals faster. (or sumfin :slant: )

I worked at GEAE (Aircraft Engines) and that's what happened when someone left or was fired (or during layoffs -- most of the of the people who left were out because of layoffs). People left within an hour of being told they no longer had jobs.

Life in the big city.

Got Philk, can I recommend that you stay out of the loop. Sometimes theres all sorts of crap going on in a work place. The ethics thing will sort itself out. I have seen all sorts of people emotionally go down because of crappy politics in the office.

If you are a socialite losing your colleague can be devastating.

Has the company advertised for a replacement yet? Maybe you will click with the new person.

Take care. :hug:

When that happens, they are supposed to give severance pay. Did that happen? I just gave my two week at work, I had known for months I was leaving as my wife already found a job in another city and had moved. But there was no way I was going to tell them about it (even if it was because of my wife moving) because of this.

I also think the policy of telling people to leave immediately is stupid. He could of stayed to help for that month, give them more time to find a replacement. And as for stealing information, most people know they are leaving before they announce it. If I wanted to steal information, I would have already done it. Idiotic.

My old company used to lay people off, then have them work 2 more weeks. They'd tie the xtra 2 weeks to the severance pkg. No 2 weeks, no severance. Dickheads they were.

I'm speculating from what my friend has hinted at, but I'm going to say that he is not getting paid at all right now.

I also learned from a different manager that apparently, according to my workplace, my friend did something illegal. Though, if he had fulfilled his 4 weeks, he would have fulfilled his contract. So it can't be that. I'm confused. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

The company may just have been afraid that, during his four weeks, he would take away existing customers and bring them to his new employer.

Melon

Is it legal in America not to pay severance? Here, if you offer a leave date, even if they ask you to leave imediately, you still get paid up to your leaving date as that is the time you gave them notice on and as the instigator of seperation of employment, it is then on your terms.

I learned more. Here's the deal, you're exactly right Melon in that they did worry he would take customers. But the reason why she wants to SUE or complain is b/c of "unethical behavior" towards her small business. I have to laugh though because very wealthy people have just built the largest athletic sport complex in our city just down the road. Isn't a part of business a little competition? I know it might hurt that someone from our office left us for a future competitor, but it still doesn't seem fair to not do the right thing and give him 2 weeks severance and a decent sendoff instead of threats and lies.

But once again, I still need my job for now so I'll lay low. :|

Back
Top Bottom