The Sight Of Someone Shaving Their Hair Off Made Me Go Pale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I am a 21 year old male with long hair, just a little past shoulder length.

My mother and my aunt were watching Sex And The City tonight, and it was the episode where Samantha decides to shave her hair off(since it was falling off because of her chemo), and then Smith shaves his off too.

I am very attatched to my hair. This sounds weird, but when Smith just nonchalantly picked up the razor and started shaving his hair off, I went pale for five seconds. I just hate it. Growing hair takes a long time, and I just hate the idea of something taking so long to make being destroyed so quickly. My hair has been growing for a twenty months - almost two years - and the thought of just shaving it all off in five minutes is NOT pleasant for me.

Just getting a haircut doesn't bother me so much...the thought of having my 4-5 inch ponytail reduced to a 2-3 inch ponytail doesn't make me feel queasy like the thought of just shaving it all off does.

I'm weird. And probably too vain for a guy. A straight guy, btw :wink:

I hear ya namkcuR... I've been growing my hair out for a while now, only getting a trim every now and then just to keep it tidy, and my hair is still a couple inches from my shoulders on either side of my head and a little bit longer on the back - but if, for whatever reason, I had to clip it all back to an inch, or a half inch (from about 8 or 9 inches) I would be furious.

In the context of solidarity/a show of loyalty or affection... I mean, maybe then it wouldn't be such a big deal... but if I woke up tomorrow and someone was just like 'dude, you've gotta shave your head' I would probably kick them in the groin. No joining the military for me, I suppose.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It's just hair.

If I knew someone who was going through chemo, I'd shave it in a second.

I had to cut mine - very short, and it is taking forever to grow back. At least another 2 yrs for it to be where it was before:sad: :sad:

I here what you are saying - and I'm female!!

Solidarity in illness though is another thing, takes vanity out of the equation.:up:

Well, I'm a girl so I don't know how guys feel about their hair, but I'd been growing mine out for my wedding and then had to get it cut for gymnastics. I'm a little disappointed, but it's just hair and not worth risking safety over. When it's really long, I'll cut it off and send it to Locks of Love. They use donated human hair to make wigs for cancer patients.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
They use donated human hair to make wigs for cancer patients.

Actually, they sell it to buy hair to sell a few wigs to kids with alopecia (and other conditions causing permanent hair loss). It does say this somewhere on their site, but they're not very good about correcting the commonly held misconception that they use donated hair to donate wigs to kids with cancer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love

Are you Samson or something? :wink:

To me that would be the sweetest and really sexiest thing a guy could do, to shave his head for that reason. Not to mention when you look like Jason Lewis it's completely irrelevant :wink:

There are so many very attractive bald men-they're good looking but they also carry themselves in a certain way, they have confidence in who they are and don't need the hair. Their other attractive qualities just shine through. Chris on American Idol is just one of my examples.

People feel the way they do, and there is nothing wrong with that, and no one should be made to feel bad for the way they personally feel. I feel like hair is part of me and I wouldn't cut it off. I am attached to my hair, I admit it. It does take too long to grow to just cut it. Natalie Portman shaving her head was like, ooowwwch! So yes, it bothers me, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. If you ilke it or it doesn't bother you, that's you, but others feel other ways. Strangely some people seem to get sexually aroused watching someone get shaved bald, well, whatever.

On the 'chemo' thing, first, I would never get it because I think it's poison (it literally killed two people I know personally by destroying their internal organs) but even if I did I wouldn't expect or want anyone else to shave their head bald for me. Look, it's bad enough being sick, I wouldn't want to see a bunch of people around reminding me of it. And if my husband shaved his head bald (which is HIGHLY unlikely) I wouldn't do it too to be 'sweet' because I'd just think, well buddy, that's YOUR hair, this is mine. I know a guy whose girlfriend shaved her head bald (by choice) and he not only didn't like it he didn't copy it.

My hair is almost down to my waist. I keep feeling like I should get it cut, but I'm scared. :reject:

meegannie said:

Actually, they sell it to buy hair to sell a few wigs to kids with alopecia (and other conditions causing permanent hair loss). It does say this somewhere on their site, but they're not very good about correcting the commonly held misconception that they use donated hair to donate wigs to kids with cancer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love

Thanks! I guess it doesn't really matter to me either way. If they can't use certain hair, it makes sense for them to sell it rather than trash it.

ok, so is anyone elses slightly amused that he needed to confirm he was straight in reference to being vain, and NOT because he was watching sex and the city with his mom and aunt!
:lmao:

digsy said:
ok, so is anyone elses slightly amused that he needed to confirm he was straight in reference to being vain, and NOT because he was watching sex and the city with his mom and aunt!
:lmao:

That did cross my mind :yes:

I have head shaved, cause it suits me and because hair is one less thing I have to think or worry about :shrug:

Bonochick said:
My hair is almost down to my waist. I keep feeling like I should get it cut, but I'm scared. :reject:

Don't cut it unless you really want it to be cut! My hair used to be really long it was just a little past my waist. Decided one day that I needed a change and it cut shoulder length. Was one of the best decisions I have made! Brings out my natural waviness even more. But Im not against long hair at all as it really is pretty when it's taken care of properly. If you like it long than keep it long :).

Oh and I thought the vain comment was rather amusing too! :lol:

Last edited:
Party Boy said:

That did cross my mind :yes:

I have head shaved, cause it suits me and because hair is one less thing I have to think or worry about :shrug:

I always keep my hair as closely cropped as possible; due to the fact that my hair is inherently thick and as soon as it passes the six centimetre mark; I acquire an afro.

So it suits me to have a shaven head and to be honest, I wouldn’t have it any other way. :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Are you Samson or something? :wink:

To me that would be the sweetest and really sexiest thing a guy could do, to shave his head for that reason. Not to mention when you look like Jason Lewis it's completely irrelevant :wink:

There are so many very attractive bald men-they're good looking but they also carry themselves in a certain way, they have confidence in who they are and don't need the hair. Their other attractive qualities just shine through. Chris on American Idol is just one of my examples.

I agree with everything you just said.
Well, except for the Chris on American Idol thing.
Here's my example (and anyone who knows me very well knows what's coming up next...)

PatrickStewart.jpg

I had a friend who totally freaked out because she got a haircut and they cut it too short... I mean, she was crying and everything. I was confused. It's hair, it grows back... plus I hadn't even realized she'd gotten a haircut until someone told me.

I've ALWAYS wanted to grow out my hair. The problem is that when my hair gets long, I get an Italian Afro. :lol: It doesn't get nice and straight, or even a loose wavy...just a thick, I'm-doing-whatever-the-hell-I-want-despite-your-brushing wavy. Sigh.

I used to have a long hair, and many people said that it was beautiful, it grows with waves and it has a good color. I was very proud of it, and when I was in HS many girls asked me what products did I use and all that stuff. One day, when I was in college I just went to a saloon and cut my hair off, I did it because of a silly reason: I watched "Hackers" on tv and I thought that Angelina Jolie looked so hot with that short hair, I know I'm not as pretty as her but I just loved the haircut so I did a very radical change. everybody was like :eek: when they saw me, and I received mixed opinions, some guy said I look like a manga girl :lol: . I don't regret it, I like to have my hair really short, I have dyed it purple, pink... I can get a mohawk if I want, it is so versatile and it really goes with who i am know :)

I encourage the 'it's just hair' crew to sport a Flock of Seagulls cut for the next 6 months.

Then we'll see if it's just hair.

Muggsy said:
I used to have a long hair, and many people said that it was beautiful, it grows with waves and it has a good color. I was very proud of it, and when I was in HS many girls asked me what products did I use and all that stuff. One day, when I was in college I just went to a saloon and cut my hair off, I did it because of a silly reason: I watched "Hackers" on tv and I thought that Angelina Jolie looked so hot with that short hair, I know I'm not as pretty as her but I just loved the haircut so I did a very radical change. everybody was like :eek: when they saw me, and I received mixed opinions, some guy said I look like a manga girl :lol: . I don't regret it, I like to have my hair really short, I have dyed it purple, pink... I can get a mohawk if I want, it is so versatile and it really goes with who i am know :)

Cool Muggsy! A hairystyle should fit the personality :). Know I got a lot of shocked reactions when I cut my hair off. But when you have it long all of your life you reach a point of wanting something different.

FoX: Hah. Yehright. You couldn't convince my hair to do a flock of seagulls, not even if you applied several cans of Aquanet. Just Not Going To Happen.
And, btw, it's just hair. :macdevil:

I can't understand anyone "brushing" off hair being important to someone. Hair is a distinct part of how we look, how we feel and how we think of ourselves. Hair changes everything about the way we look and how others see us. It may 'grow back' but it takes years. If anyone tries to cut off my hair, I'll stab them with the scissors. :evil:

i love my hair, and i take good care of it, and spend money on getting it cut well and on good product (yes, totally gay here), but i have to say that the shaved head look, especially on men with muscles, or on Smith, is dead sexy. and, yes, i do find the process of a man shaving his head to be a turn on.

:drool:

and i think it can look hot on girls too.

i used to have much longer hair, like it wasn't long in the back but i could flip it around and it hung down to my mouth and was sort of Kurt Cobain-ish and artsy and i could sort of flip it around and brush it out of my eyes and all, but it gets to be a pain in the ass, especially in DC with the humid summers.

short, well-groomed hair :up:

namkcuR said:
I am a 21 year old male with long hair, just a little past shoulder length.

:drool: do you have a picture?

guys with long hair = :drool:

There's something very, very sexy about it. I think it's manly and I think it's sad when cute guys with gorgeous long hair shave it off :sad:

Re: Re: The Sight Of Someone Shaving Their Hair Off Made Me Go Pale

AtomicBono said:

:drool: do you have a picture?

guys with long hair = :drool:

There's something very, very sexy about it. I think it's manly and I think it's sad when cute guys with gorgeous long hair shave it off :sad:

Its interesting that some women think its manly for guys to think and care about their hair, while others think its manly not to care about it. Am definitely in the latter - its a physical trait but ultimately it doesnt mean anything.
Its hair - it grows - it goes :shrug:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: The Sight Of Someone Shaving Their Hair Off Made Me Go Pale

Party Boy said:

Its interesting that some women think its manly for guys to think and care about their hair, while others think its manly not to care about it. Am definitely in the latter - its a physical trait but ultimately it doesnt mean anything.
Its hair - it grows - it goes :shrug:

I don't really like guys that are always fussing over their hair and making a big deal out of it, I just think it's manly when a guy has long hair. As long as he washes it every couple of days I don't care what else he does with it :wink:

Back
Top Bottom