The Sexual Dimension of a Relationship - too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
First, I'd like to start out by saying that I am a virgin, and basically intend to stay that way for a while, most likely. But that being said, I'm also old enough to know about sex, especially in this modern world. However, what I do not know about is how sex impacts a relationship (because I've never really had firsthand experience), and most of all, in regard to this situation which I am about to address.... :

===========

Here goes...
My friend and his girlfriend addressed me with this subject, and I really didn't know how to consider it. (they are around my age - he is 20 and she 19). Basically... he and his girlfriend are like.... attracted to each other in such a way that they don't know if it is healthy, or safe in regard to the quality of their relationship. Both of them are mature enough to want a more lasting kind of relationship, and not just... well, loose sex with another person. If they did, this issue here wouldn't be a problem at all, obviously. Yet it is an area of concern.

See, I've heard about sex covering up problems in a relationship, (which isn't neccesarily the case here - since they aren't really complaining about any "problems". I would assume they are more thinking about the future of the relationship), but the three of us have discussed and accept that sex may not be the best thing to dominate a relationship. There are other dimensions to it, obviously. My male friend is concerned, a little about the compatibility between him and her, because she's a little more socially outgoing than he is. Yet at the same time, both he and I agree that sometimes that can be a positive thing for a relationship, since it opens different perspectives. (and also, from some personality reseach I've done myself, I've seen some statements saying that introverts and extroverts can actually produce and endure lasting relationships; that the difference isn't really a 'super-bad' thing). Personally, I think if the two are willing to be mature and seek understanding of each other, then I think they could be alright down the road. And more than that, I think that it is possible that they could actually understand each other on the deep level that they need to in order for a relationship to have an enduring quality.

The trouble, oddly enough, is that their sexual attraction is so strong. In many ways, they can appear opposites, (but then again, I guess it seems like they have a lot of things in common, too, so, hmm....). And of course, "opposites attract" as they say. And they certainly are... attracted... to each other.... But I almost want to say that it is a strange sort of opposition - like, even though heads and tails are opposite, it's still the same coin. So it's kind of complex in that regard, at least from how I see the two together.

I don't really know how to address the question I want to ask here, about the sexual dimension of a relationship. I guess I can say it with some of their words - they don't want the relationship to become superficial to the point of them seeing each other as "peices of meat", or that, whenever they are together, they have to.... become sexually motivated. They are worried about themselves becoming too used to it, and thus the relationship changing and getting out of hand, or going bad, etc.

What I suggested, well, sorta suggested, was that they look into their goals and values, and what is important to them in life. How they look at the world, too - that it's usually a good thing if you guys like the same kind of movies and similar kind of... outlooks on life, things like that.

I know this post probably sounds really weird, but .... well, this is an odd situation. I hope i am describing it decently enough. In short, I am wondering if it is possible to be "too" sexually attracted to another person? And, does being somewhat opposite from someone else limit the ability to understand each other?

Thanks for your thoughts

=

PS: One of the people in the couple has confided in my that they feel a definite lasting love for the other. And this person was very serious, more serious than usual, about a subject like that, so I would consider it to be a sincere statement. Currently, the couple is talking about their relaitonship, and they are both trying to figure out if they are really the right kind of person for each other, which is the right thing to do, I think.

Last edited:
financeguy said:
Never mind. :|

What does that mean?

I don't belive that being opposite from someone limits your ability to fully understand them. I think not feeling comfortable with that person definately limits understanding though. Whether they are total opposites or not if they truely feel comfortable with each other than that's what matters. I mean if the outgoing one somehow makes the more reserved person feel less inhibited than that's awsome and vice versa. You know? This may sound lame but it isn't really about who they are but who they are when they're together. If they feel they have to be somthing they aren't to be together than that's no good. If they feel like better people when they are together than that's the entire point of being together. As for the sex thing and it changeing the relationship well that's unavoidable. We all know it does. It affects everyone in different ways and they won't ever really know or be able to control how they feel untill they've "done it". As for beig "Too attracted" to someone; as long as it's the person you're with and love than no I don't believe there is a thing as "too attracted" Attraction encompases more than just physical appearance, so as long as they are able to tell the difference between true attraction and simply being physically attracted to each other only then they'll be fine. And from what you've stated For Honor they seem care for each other alot more than physical attraction alone could muster up.

I think the fact that they recognise it and actually approached someone else about it (in all seriousness, from what I can gather) shows a certain amount of genuine concern and understanding for each other.

I'm a little unclear on what they feel the problem to be - is it predominantly a concern that their relationship is going to end up sidelining the emotional/personal needs and become one based mainly on sexual desire?

Yeah, something to that effect.

Like it becoming a superficial, sexual relationship, and that might be it. I think the two people were questioning whethere they're differences (which resulted in a strong attraction), could actually be a double-edged sword, and end up keeping distance between them in the future.

For Honor said:
Yeah, something to that effect.

Like it becoming a superficial, sexual relationship, and that might be it. I think the two people were questioning whethere they're differences (which resulted in a strong attraction), could actually be a double-edged sword, and end up keeping distance between them in the future.

I don't think so. They way they are going about the situation shows that they have a very strong and mature relationship. Like Beau2ifulday already mentioned they seem to have a genuine concern for each other and a common goal of keeping the relationship guniune and strong. From what little I know I don't think they have anything to worry about.

I think it can definitely be a bad thing in some relationships, but it doesn't seem to be in the case of your friends - there seems to already be somewhat of a personal bond between them (like hallucination, I know little, but i'm trying to base this on what you've said). If that were absent, then I guess it might be a little more little more concerning (I mean, had your friend approached you in a really jokey, arrogant 'we can't get enough of each other' way... to be honest, I know that's what most of my male friends would be like if they were in that situation).
I saw that you said about her being more social then him - if that's one of the areas which is causing concern, it may be the case that those are the issues that need to be addressed in their relationship (and that the physical side of it may not be the problem).

I hope that makes sense. I have a tendency to be incoherent in trying to write about physical/personal things, but i'm sure you can get the jist of what i'm trying to say.

At their age I would be concerned if they didn't have a strong sexual attraction. It's more likely to fade than to become the sole basis for their relationship. You're supposed to want each other every second in the beginning.

They are overanalyzing.

That's just my opinion obviously ;)

blueeyedgirl said:
For Honor, I think you overanalyse some situations. You can't intellectualise everything in life.

you're right about that. But at the same time, :shrug: it's what I do.

=====

I agree with the lot of you, though. Most of this will just be seeing where this goes. So i guess there isn't really much to say about it. But I do appreciate your thoughts - I do enjoy hearing others' perspectives on things. :up: :bow:

I have no idea what the problem here is. They respect each other and have great sex. :up:

Back
Top Bottom