The end of a friendship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey788

Refugee
So I've been friends with this girl I know since high school and now after 4 years, I'm calling it quits. My friend decided at some point in the last year or so to make up a couple of characters for online roleplaying. In the course of a few months, these characters have become her entire world. It's all she talks about to anyone anymore. She's stopped going to hangouts just so she can RP more.

What was really rude though was when she came to my Christmas party and used my laptop to see if someone had posted a response for her RP. She couldn't even wait until she got home. She says that she's been happier RPing in the past two months than she has been for years. So I've decided to stop trying cause personally, there's really no point. I'm not even sad or upset. I actually feel relieved that I don't have to deal with her roleplaying BS or try to convince her to come outside once in a while. She's decided that those two characters that have only been around for a couple of months, mean more than all of her friends that she's had for years. Oh well. Her loss.

good ridance, you're better off :yes:

if she tries to quit it though and asks to hang out a little and is genuine as far as you can tell - don't turn her away.

It sounds like your "friend" is addicted to this game. At some point in time, she may come around again. Until then, your best bet is to just stay away and wait until she does.

She'll come back to you once she realises that virtual doesn't equal real life friendships...

or not, but then it's not your loss!

You did the best thing for the time being. Like the others said if she comes around later and seems guenine then don't shut her out.

I really couldn't imagine spending so much time with something virtual when there is life outside.

I think it's good of you to let this go until she realises that real life is far more important than virtual life. Let's hope she does. If not, you did the right thing. And then you will eventually meet someone new who does find real life (and you) more important than online friendships.

BonosBaby12 said:
You did the best thing for the time being. Like the others said if she comes around later and seems guenine then don't shut her out.
Agreed. She seems to be in a tough spot right now, it doesn't seem to be anything personal. For that reason I wouldn't shut her out when she does go looking for support, but there's only so much you can do at the moment. Distance yourself for now and wish her the best :yes:

Well you are making the right choice for both you AND her. Hopefully she will at some point come to her senses whether you both get back together or not. There are far too many people in this world IMO who are too hooked on online games and fake online personas. It's scary to think maybe they are more comfortable in those rather than in the real world.

There doesn't seem to any specific reason for her obsession with this fantasy world. And it isn't even a game like World of Warcraft. She just role-plays as her characters with other random people all the time.

Also, to clarify something, this girl is just my friend. We aren't going out or anything. I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea. But thanks to everyone for your support and helpful advise. I really appreciate it.

wow, that's terrifying.

amazing how wrapped up people get in that shit.

and how easy it is for me to say that, when i spend far...far too much time online myself.

Expel her from your circle of friends
for great justice

+2 HP
22264202zv7.gif

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
wow, that's terrifying.

amazing how wrapped up people get in that shit.

and how easy it is for me to say that, when i spend far...far too much time online myself.

Yeah, I agree. It's not so much a tragic end to a friendship, but a serious problem causing addiction your old friend has.
:slant:

Back
Top Bottom