The art of friendship maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrTeeth

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So yeah, all you people with great friendships, tell me all your secrets. I have a couple of nice 'old' friends and I'm in the process of making a couple of new ones. Good news I hear you say, the thing is, I can't stop feeling left out when I'm out and about with them. I tend to get very conscious of my behaviour and sometimes analyse it afterwards which often leads me to the conclusion that people just keep me around as some sort of back-up friend. Now, in my head I know this is not true, but I can't stop feeling like it is. As a result, I'm not always having that much of a good time when I should be enjoying myself. And as a result of that, I tend to be a bit too distant towards other people and not very assertive when it comes to going out with people.

The thing is, I'm relaxed and outgoing enough to meet and talk to people. I just have problems handling the day to day dynamics of long term relationships. Now I pretty much know where these problems are coming from (hooray for shrinks :up:), and if you know the cause you're well on your way towards the solution. But I was just wondering if other people have problems like this and how you deal with them.

:wave:

Some friendships become too much of a struggle to maintain, they seize to become fun and seem much more like a chore. Then its time to leave such friendships at the door.

Ive ended 2 friendships this week.

As soon as you're starting to feel awkward, odds are they feel awkward around you too. That's what I've come to learn with friendships anyway. If it's too much of a hassle and you're not getting anything from it, move on and let go :up:

Be honest with each other is all the advice I can give you. If you got a problem with something, talk about it. Otherwise it'll keep annoying you and the other will notice that and you'll end up in a fight.

I'm not sure if these are things you've gone over with your therapist or not, but I have a few comments I'd like to make.

the thing is, I can't stop feeling left out when I'm out and about with them.

Can you point to any specific behaviour on their part that makes you feel left out? Or is it just a feeling you get? If it's only a feeling, then the rest of my points apply. If not, ignore. :)

I tend to get very conscious of my behaviour and sometimes analyse it afterwards

I can almost guarantee you that they're not paying nearly as much attention to your behaviour as you are. People tend to be very self-focussed. In normal social interactions, they're too busy paying attention to themselves to be analyzing the minutiae of your behaviour.

which often leads me to the conclusion that people just keep me around as some sort of back-up friend.

Now, in my head I know this is not true

So, your feelings are leading you to false conclusions. You know this to be the case...

but I can't stop feeling like it is.

So what can you do to stop feeling this way? What steps do you need to take? Changing your self-assessment, or consciously stopping your inner dialogue before you get to these conclusions? Would talking to your friends help?

As a result, I'm not always having that much of a good time when I should be enjoying myself.

I don't imagine you would be, if you're that focussed on all of these things, rather than your friends and what you're doing with them! Kind of hard to enjoy yourself with all that going on in your mind.

And as a result of that, I tend to be a bit too distant towards other people and not very assertive when it comes to going out with people.

This is where incorrect thoughts on your part eventually lead you to behave differently, pushing people away in subtle ways. They pick up on this, and eventually it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, creating the very distance that you initially feared.

The thing is, I'm relaxed and outgoing enough to meet and talk to people. I just have problems handling the day to day dynamics of long term relationships. Now I pretty much know where these problems are coming from (hooray for shrinks :up:), and if you know the cause you're well on your way towards the solution. But I was just wondering if other people have problems like this and how you deal with them.

:wave:

Sounds like you've done some excellent work with your therapist if you know where all this is coming from (the way you worded that, that's what led me to the assumption that all of this is based more on invalid thoughts on your part, as opposed to behaviours on the part of your friends, and hence, this lengthy post).

How I would deal with all this is by utilizing the knowledge that I have regarding social interactions, and trying to be as objective as possible about perceived slights - assessing whether they're actually valid, or if it's just me being paranoid. If it's the former and I felt that these thoughts are valid, I'd probably try to talk to the friend(s) about it, if I felt close enough to them to be able to have that sort of conversation. It could be that they have no idea the things they're doing are making you feel that way. If I didn't feel particularly close to them, and felt fairly certain that their behaviours were just plain thoughtless on their part, I'd probably distance myself from them, and cut off the friendship. What's the point of continuing a friendship that makes you feel bad?

If these indeed are invalid feelings with little or no basis in the behaviour of your friends, then as I'm sure you know, that's an individual thing that needs to be worked on, which you're obviously doing. It'll take time, but you'll get there. It's not easy unlearning years of faulty relationship patterns, but if you keep at it, it can be done. :)

One more question - has your therapist ever suggested group therapy? That can be invaluable for assessing, treating, and learning about yourself and your social patterns, and developing new ones.

Good luck!

Be honest with each other is all the advice I can give you. If you got a problem with something, talk about it. Otherwise it'll keep annoying you and the other will notice that and you'll end up in a fight.
Too true.

I can almost guarantee you that they're not paying nearly as much attention to your behaviour as you are. People tend to be very self-focussed. In normal social interactions, they're too busy paying attention to themselves to be analyzing the minutiae of your behaviour.
I agree. This is probably more to do with your own fears than their true intentions.

If you are yourself and do your best and people still drift out of your life, that's ok. I always like to maintain casual contact with those people and check in from time to time. You can't worry too much or take it personally, that's just the way life takes us sometimes. You never know who will drift back in, who will stay for good, and which new friends you'll meet. Just let if flow :)

Can you point to any specific behaviour on their part that makes you feel left out? Or is it just a feeling you get? If it's only a feeling, then the rest of my points apply. If not, ignore. :)

Fortunately I have very nice friends who already know I feel uncomfortable in crowds sometimes. So luckily (I guess), it's all in my head. :lol:

This is where incorrect thoughts on your part eventually lead you to behave differently, pushing people away in subtle ways. They pick up on this, and eventually it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, creating the very distance that you initially feared.

True, this has been the cause of me having problems hanging onto friendships and relationships in the past, it's probably due to my excellent taste in people that I still have friends at all hehe. I'm pretty tired of it though and I want to be a bit more confident and assertive in dealing with other people.

How I would deal with all this is by utilizing the knowledge that I have regarding social interactions, and trying to be as objective as possible about perceived slights - assessing whether they're actually valid, or if it's just me being paranoid. If it's the former and I felt that these thoughts are valid, I'd probably try to talk to the friend(s) about it, if I felt close enough to them to be able to have that sort of conversation.

If these indeed are invalid feelings with little or no basis in the behaviour of your friends, then as I'm sure you know, that's an individual thing that needs to be worked on, which you're obviously doing. It'll take time, but you'll get there. It's not easy unlearning years of faulty relationship patterns, but if you keep at it, it can be done. :)

Yes, most people know I feel awkward in social settings sometimes so it's definitely something that can be discussed. I'm just sorta waiting for the right timing. I'm trying to deal with it by going out more so I can get some more practice in these situations. It also helps me to be aware of my feelings more and trying to figure out where they come from whenever I'm feeling down about it.

One more question - has your therapist ever suggested group therapy? That can be invaluable for assessing, treating, and learning about yourself and your social patterns, and developing new ones.

Good luck!

Funny enough, I just had my first session last week. It was interesting and apparently lots of people seem to be dealing with these issues. So I'm pretty optimistic about it all. :up:

If you are yourself and do your best and people still drift out of your life, that's ok. I always like to maintain casual contact with those people and check in from time to time. You can't worry too much or take it personally, that's just the way life takes us sometimes. You never know who will drift back in, who will stay for good, and which new friends you'll meet. Just let if flow :)

I guess this is a point I've never really given much thought. I've always thought that you either had really close friendships or no friendships at all, so being confronted with other types of relationships brings on a bit of anxiety. I guess I'm at some sort of turning point where I consciously know where my anxiety comes from, and where I pretty much know how to deal with it. I just need to learn to put it into practice and not take it personally when people sometimes hang out with others.

Thanks a lot everybody! :wave:

No secrets for me, really. I feel the best friendships aren't necessarily a time and effort thing, so much as they are the place to give up the social power games and politicking that often go on in daily life. With people you're close to, everything works out better if noone's vying for status or looking to impress -- I've found that the people who make the best friends aren't the type of people who are won over by those bullshit games in the first place.

A few common interests and shared passions: touchstones that you can always go back to.
Mutual respect.
No unreasonable expectations.
Healthy doses of patience and tolerance.
Everyone leaves their egos and pride at the door.
Have a sense of humour about everything.
Leave judgement at the door.

*shrug*

Last edited:
If you only would have some more confidence! In yourself and your friends! Did you ever go and talk to them whenever you had problems? It is hard to do, but opening your heart will open up theirs too. It's good to laugh with friends, but the ones that really care are the ones that you can also cry with.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom