The 3-Day Rule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The men that steal my heart break all the rules in the right way (i.e., if they break the 3-day rule it's because they're charmingly enthusiastic about me, not needy...)

My boyfriend didn't even wait 24 hours after our first date to ask me out for the following night - but I think that's the first ever occurance something like that has happened to me :|

why three days?

redkat said:
If you like him and you think he likes you then I think the 3 day rule is silly

exactly
i mean if you liked a guy and he called 1 or 2 days later and not 3, you'd think you'd be happy about it.
if you're so easily put off by them calling sooner than 3 days then you obviously weren't that fussed in the frist place :shrug:

starsgoblue said:

The resolution was that he was still an idiot...and I told him so. :wink:

Ah, gotcha.

As for the 3 day rule, maybe it's different because I'm a guy, but as far as I'm concerned, if I've met someone and we hit it off, if I feel that there's some sort of connection there, I say screw it. Why put yourself through something like that?

We talk a lot about how we hate playing games when it comes to meeting people and relationships. I think this 3 day rule is another one of those games that serves no purpose whatsoever. I'd say go for it. If you find out later that it isn't exactly what you thought it would be, then move on. It may not be easy to do, but it cuts through all the games and gets to the point.

In the long run, I think it makes things easier.

:)

i hate 3 day rule and i'm not too fond of swingers either (my ex's fav movie) but i do like vince vaughn. :heart: :cute:

are you guys serious, in that a movie has all influenced you into a "3 day rule"?

Or was it already a sort of 'known' thing, and the movie just made it more easy to refer to?

For Honor said:
are you guys serious, in that a movie has all influenced you into a "3 day rule"?

Or was it already a sort of 'known' thing, and the movie just made it more easy to refer to?

it already a sort of 'known' thing, and the movie just made it more easy to refer to

phanan said:

Ah, gotcha.

As for the 3 day rule, maybe it's different because I'm a guy, but as far as I'm concerned, if I've met someone and we hit it off, if I feel that there's some sort of connection there, I say screw it. Why put yourself through something like that?

We talk a lot about how we hate playing games when it comes to meeting people and relationships. I think this 3 day rule is another one of those games that serves no purpose whatsoever. I'd say go for it. If you find out later that it isn't exactly what you thought it would be, then move on. It may not be easy to do, but it cuts through all the games and gets to the point.

In the long run, I think it makes things easier.

:)

:applaud:

If someone is needy, you'll know in many other ways, not because they called you the day after you met. In general I find American men to be too hesitant in showing their interest. By the time they have thought about how many days they should wait before calling, and after they've talked to all their friends about the rules, I've already lost interest.

joyfulgirl said:

:applaud:

If someone is needy, you'll know in many other ways, not because they called you the day after you met. In general I find American men to be too hesitant in showing their interest. By the time they have thought about how many days they should wait before calling, and after they've talked to all their friends about the rules, I've already lost interest.

No kidding. I just hate the waiting game...I don't see any reason why anyone would wait. Like I said, especially in the day of text messaging there really isn't need--you can make contact without really needing to talk, you know?

^^I don`t think that is the idea of the rule....the idea is that they DO want to go out with you, thus the necessity of calling, but just that they don`t want to appear overeager by phoning less than 3 days since they met you.

Dulce de Leche said:
^^I don`t think that is the idea of the rule....the idea is that they DO want to go out with you, thus the necessity of calling, but just that they don`t want to appear overeager by phoning less than 3 days since they met you.

One time I met a guy at a party; he was there with his girlfriend. We made eye contact, exchanged a few jokes, talked about music. We were smitten immediately. The next day he came to where I was working, said he'd broken up with his girlfriend so he could go out with me, took me to see Tom Petty the next night, we stayed up all night talking, slept together, and stayed together for 5 years. Fuck the rules!

I think the best thing to do is just call when you say you're going to call. Pick a day. If you meet someone on Sunday just say I'll call ya on Thursday or Tuesday or tomorrow. If you set a day then it's out there. No games. Just call on the day that you said you would. That's the best way I think. Waiting a certain amount of days just because "that's how it's supposed to be" is dumb. And no matter what Thursdays are always a good day to call because it allows you to call before the weekend but still have time to make plans for the weekend.

I met a gril once ona Fridya night. We made plans that night to go for lunch the next day. We went for lunch and it was good. Later that evening she called and asked me if I wanted to go to a show. I said sure. I didn't thik for a second that she was needy, I just figured it was a good sign she was inot me.We dated for almost 4 months. There should be no shame in calling people whenever you want. All it does is show you're interested. needy is if you call too many times and leave more than one message or if you call and she/he is busy just put the ball in thier court. Games are bullshit and as of this moment I am eliminateing the 3 day rule. You can all feel free to call whoever it is you want to call at will now.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:

But still, 2 days is kinda money.

I always wait at least a day. I think anymore than 3 though the luster sort of wears off. For me at least, after a couple days without any contact the excitement sort of wears thin.

:hmm: Girls like to play hard to get, and guys don't want to seem 'too' interested

Maybe they both just want to fricking call!! :lol:

I waited days after giving Tim my number for him to call :grumpy:
But he did think I was a little psycho then :der:
After the initial 4 hour chat it was smooth sailing.

I dont think I've ever had the 3 day rule enforced on me now that I think of it.
I'm too sensitive...it would make me feel like they werent interested :rolleyes:

honestly, if someone you liked called you the day after you saw them/went out, would you really be put off or think they were needy.
on the contrary, if i get a call or message or something i'm thrilled!
a little while ago someone sent me a message the very next morning... it made my day :D

the 3 day rule is stupid, if you like someone it doesn't matter, waiting 3 days is only really gonna piss me off.
and it means they're playing games which i hate

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
:hmm: Girls like to play hard to get, and guys don't want to seem 'too' interested

Yes, it is easy to say fuck the rules. When you run into special kind of guy you just have to be careful. It is not the question wheather you"re needy or whatever...some people just need more time.(me included):|

Back
Top Bottom