Stressed out, in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I'm supposed to make a trip the day after the election. I'm so stressed out about the election I'm getting sick. It's so tense and partisan, with all of this hate and acrimony going on. I have never seen anything like this in my life. I'm afraid this is really going to wear me down, and since I haven't gotten over my shingles this stress could bring back the symptoms. I'm terrified that this stress and illness and stuff could completely screw up my plans. What should I do?

Im sick of all the election stuff too! All we can do is vote and hope for the best. Whatever happens, we will have to live with it and get on with our daily tasks. Lets just hope it turns our for the best.

I'll tell you something, I am going to put up a stink about these eight-month campaignathons. Can you say "burn-out"? Hell, by the time the election comes I'm going to be so damn burned out I won't care who wins.

Im serious, it is just too much. You cant even turn on the TV without hearing all the fighting and bickering. To me, they all act like two year olds.

verte76 said:
I'm supposed to make a trip the day after the election. I'm so stressed out about the election I'm getting sick. It's so tense and partisan, with all of this hate and acrimony going on. I have never seen anything like this in my life. I'm afraid this is really going to wear me down, and since I haven't gotten over my shingles this stress could bring back the symptoms. I'm terrified that this stress and illness and stuff could completely screw up my plans. What should I do?

I say dont worry about it. Vote on the issue that appeal to you and be done with it. Take a couple of days off from following the campaigns. Make your plans for your trip, dont let the election take hold of you. Relax. Paint something, you'll feel better. :)

The only thing I have any control over is my vote. I will vote, and accept the outcome as the will of the people, and screw all of the hype, hysteria and madness. Our two major parties are entirely too much alike in the first place, it's not like countries where there's a difference like Labor/Social Democrats and Conservatives/Christian Democrats.

ya, all in all, there both the same. It's seems it's just a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. I know that seem cynical but that's how I feel about politics.

My advice - make your vote, keep the tv off and stay away from the election threads in fym for at least 2 days after the election. It's gonna be close enough that I think they won't be able to call the winner for a few days, so don't give yourself a heart attack over it. Hang in there :hug:

I'm not american but even I am getting tired of all the election talk...I mean they live broadcasted all the debates simultenously on TWO different national tv networks here in tiny little Sweden for god's sake....

Last edited:
as much of a political and media junkie i am, i've really cut back on the amount of news i've seen. i refuse to look at polls, or hear the latest attack lines. as of now nothing either of the candidates will do will make a difference, no matter how hard they try. so i figure, there's going to be nothing earthshatteringly new between now and november 2nd. unfortunately i have to write a 6-8 page paper on who will win the election and why, but i'll manage. i've been managint to stay as calm about the election as possible by tuning myself out these last 2 weeks. i know all that i need to know and am forcing myself not to think about it. you should try that too. just cut yourself off from current events, you'll feel much better.

Hey verte, I think I can kinda relate. I'm obsessed with gymnastics and have been for over 12 years now and when they were going to announce the Olympic team during the track and field trials I was going crazy, like shaking all over and stuff. It's never been like that before but this was really the first time I've watched an Olympic team form around girls I've been watching since they were little. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like for them.........

My advice: do something else, like paint or whatever you like. I've been so busy this past week I kinda forgot about the election, lol. My midterm exams 2004 motto has been "if it's not happening in the next 12 hrs, it's not important to me!". But I supposed making oneself busy by choice might have the same effect.

Well, you know, they want you to "give a damn". There's such a thing as overdoing it. I usually do this, especially when there's as much emotion around an election as there is around this one. Good Lord, when political junkies are getting burned out, I know I've had too much because I am *not* a political junkie!

verte76 said:
Well, you know, they want you to "give a damn". There's such a thing as overdoing it. I usually do this, especially when there's as much emotion around an election as there is around this one. Good Lord, when political junkies are getting burned out, I know I've had too much because I am *not* a political junkie!

lol. i can't imagine what i'm going to do when i actually work on campaigns :ohmy: i'll probably be so wrapped up in it i won't notice the burn out

verte76 said:
What should I do?

1. Only watch the Weather Channel on TV.

2. Paint.

3. Read pointless fiction.

4. Volunteer at the local old folks home.

5. Walk your dog.

6. Volunteer at the local no-kill animal shelter and walk their dogs.

7. Listen to so much U2 that you forget there are other bands out there.

8. Plan your vacation.

:wink:

ah very wise, martha!

lol the other day i bought a best of john mellencamp CD and one of the names of the songs is "martha say" and i was like 'hey that's for that lady on interference!' :lol:

I agree with the "do something else" idea. I was just telling a friend tonight that I know I will be incredibly depressed if the election results suck (on several fronts). Hell, I'm depressed anyway, sometimes it's just about unbearable.

On the other hand I'm setting up an art exhibit for my favorite singer (yup, it's the guy from The Church)...hanging the show on Halloween night, and I'm responsible for virtually every aspect of it. That's also stressing me out (a HUGE amount -- I've never set up an exhibition completely on my own before, :eek: but at least it's helping keep my mind off the election! :D

Plus, I'm also trying to work on my artwork (glass), too. It really is soothing and helps to take me to another place. And play with my dogs and cats too. That always helps. They love me, no matter who/what wins in this blasted election!

For the record, I'm not reading newspapers, watching *any* TV, I'm not reading news on the Internet, I've had enough damn politics to last me four years. The only time I ever see newspapers is at work, at the library, where the newspapers are out on the tables right around the shelves I'm cleaning up. I don't pick them up, however. I'm about halfway through an acrylic painting. I had to move my base of operations for my art because we are finally getting that f:censored:g rug torn out of the basement, so I moved all my paint stuff to my sister's room until everything's back to normal. That means there's no TV in my art room! I'm also working on my history sites, I have a whole slew of new sites on my URL List, and I just put another link on my Czech site the other day. I feel better today than I did yesterday. Thanks for all of the supportive notes, I know I can always get them on Interference.

Back
Top Bottom