so tired...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

najeena

War Child
I just got a new puppy last week and the crate training has me up four or five times a night. Last night I finally gave in and tried the 'hand of God' method that the breeder told me about, a hearty thump on top of the crate when the whining won't stop. She told me the puppy wouldn't know where it came from, but would startle it out of whine mode. It worked, at least for a little while. Anybody have any advice?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The clock is a good idea, also something warm like a rubber water bottle heated up in the microwave and wrapped in a towel or blanket can be comforting. It may help to put something that has your scent in there too, like a T-shirt you've worn but haven't washed yet. Also, do NOT give in and let the puppy out - it will just reinforce the whining and make him think, "If I whine long enough, I get out!" If it has been sleeping for a few hours and then starts whining, it probably needs to go potty.

What kind of puppy didja get? :hyper:

Last edited:
aww a new puppy...what breed is he najeena?
lol @ the naming of the training technique"hand of god"...good one.
I cannot give you advice...I remember when I first brought Gustovox home as a tiny 6 week old puppy. I did everything wrong, cradling him like a baby, singing him lullabys( Oasis and The Village People songs)...true confession time...he slept with us the first six months and seeing as he was a fast growing rottweiller/german shepherd cross, that was wrong wrong, wrong. Despite all that he's grown into a reasonably well adjusted dog...he thinks I'm his mother and I belong to him...no not really, I took him to obedience class, he's a very well behaved dog.

can you post a pic of your new dog ? you too please pop angel, when you get your puppy?
puppy love:heart:

lmao @ get a cat :heart:

I dont know anything about dogs.. why is it in a crate? :confused:

Aren't crates what you guys call sleeping kennels? In response to Sicy's question...I wouldn't know, lol just guessing.

The water bottle and clock are good tricks, as is the scent from a tshirt etc. That is actually how we got our adopted dog to sleep on his dog bed. Also stuffed teddies so he thinks he's sleeping with other puppies can help.

Thanks for the advice everyone- BLS, I should have thought of you right away! Any advice you might have is appreciated. Nights are much better, a kind vet told me to put her crate in the garage if necessary, she'd weather it better than I was her nocturnal whining, that she had to learn her whining got hernowhere. I knew all of this, but trying to get through it is another matter. She slept just fine outside the bedroom last night, with one trip out at three am. The days are a different matter, she's pretty good about going to the door to let me know she wants out, but that's every fifteen minutes sometimes, and she knows it's a way to get out to sniff around, whether she needs to 'go' or not. Crate time is whine time, unless she's utterly exhuasted. Putting it where she can see me usually doesn't make a difference if she wants out, I've taken the crate outside when it's early, just so she doesn't wake the late-risers in the house. I've also tried a firm NO when she gets loud. I put a t-shirt I slept in, toys and a ticking clock into the crate, and add a hot water bottle at night. If we can learn to get through the daytime crate time, I think we'll be OK. Oh yes, she's mostly Cairn Terrier, a little bitty thing. I named her Shasta.
Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted. A picture? Sorry, I'm too low-tech here in hippyville, at least for now. She's brown with a long black overcoat and a black muzzle, with light brown around her eyes that maked her look sort of owlish.
:p

Ooh najenna, we had the same problem when we got our puppy. We did the hot water bottle thing, as well as a stuffed animal to keep our dog company.

Then after the dog was FINALLY trained, my mom decided he was too cute to leave in the crate so now he sleeps on her bed...:sigh:

An hour ago Shasta got under my feet and I stepped on her left rear leg, she SCREAMED, but now is fine, thank heavens. We got her to keep our five year old Corgi company and you should see them play, the little thing launches herself at this dog ten times her size, only getting a mouthful of fur for all her efforts. He rolls her around and pokes at her with his nose, he's a gentle guy, my Jono.
I went through something all mothers would recognize- the sleep deprivation that comes with a newborn. I applaud all you Moms, it's a difficult thing at best. These dogs are my kids, they're as close as I'll get.

Glad the nights are going a bit better :) I'm sure it's annoying to have her at the door so often, but really, it's so helpful for later on when they can tell you like that that they need to go. Remember to make a big fuss, praise her and pet her when she does go outside. And if she hasn't gone within about 5 minutes, then she probably doesn't have to go and just wants to be outside - you could take her back in if you choose.

I guess the most important principle for crate training is to always make it a happy place. Never put her in there angrily, as a form of punishment. I would say that if she doesn't have to be locked in there when you are home, I wouldn't put her in there (or for only short periods, and let her out of it only when she is being quiet). Or if she needs to be in it when you can't be watching her, it might help to give her something to occupy herself, like a little rawhide stick or a Kong with some peanut butter in there.

najeena said:
I just got a new puppy last week and the crate training has me up four or five times a night. Last night I finally gave in and tried the 'hand of God' method that the breeder told me about, a hearty thump on top of the crate when the whining won't stop. She told me the puppy wouldn't know where it came from, but would startle it out of whine mode. It worked, at least for a little while. Anybody have any advice?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

*re-reads this thread and sends it to mom

Last night I think we got 3 hours sleep apiece. I was helping my mom whenever our beagle puppy Nikki had to go potty (that's her thing, "go potty!") and in between that I had to deal with a cat who wanted out of my room to investigate the new roommate.

Nikki has been doing the same thing, she'll sleep in her cage/crate for a while, then when she starts to whine we'll take her out. Hopefully tonight she does a bit better than last night, she went about 3 times on my mom's bedroom floor. :uhoh:

Last edited:
Hey April, just so you know, it'll be a few more weeks with the accidents (probably) - puppy bladder muscles aren't developed enough to withstand much stretch until they are about 3 or 4 months old...

Hooray, Shasta slept through the night from 11:30 to nearly seven without a peep. April, be patient and consistent and you'll be rewarded in the end with a dog that wouldn't dream of messing in the house (not that my pup is there yet, but no mistakes for two days). Speaking of those messes, I used a product called 'Kids and Pets'- it's great.

thanks eveyone:wave:

awww a beagle puppy:heart:
awww a corgi called Jonno:heart:
Shasta:heart: what a lovely name...like the daisy?

I bathed and brushed Tambo yesterday. I know some people despise little dogs, but he is an :angel: sent to me in my time of need imho :heart:
I realised my big dog is the same age as my husband now. Gus turned 7 on Tuesday. It's hub's 49th soon...they both have grey muzzles:)
puppy love:heart:

Back
Top Bottom