so confused, dont know where to turn - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > Zoo Confessionals
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Acrobat
 
smurf_sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: in the TARDIS
Posts: 400
Local Time: 11:25 PM
so confused, dont know where to turn

Right um i dont know if this is the right place to say this but...

I am so confused about my religion.
I dont know what i am or what i believe or what i should believe.

I'm from Australia and at the moment im on exchange in Ireland and going to a cathloic school.

I'm baptised in the church of England back home but i dont attend church and neither do my parents. I did for a while with my boyfriend, but then he told me he had to make a choice between me and god (because we were having sex) we broke up and i just couldnt cope with it he was the first person i'd ever really loved and he broke my heart so i did some pritty stupid shit. Ok thats not the point!

Im in Ireland and attending a religious school where they teach me religion and there are pictures of jesus and others everywhere. Its really intimidating. well anyway i dont believe (because of the above incident) and well i've just been chatting to many believers here and they are so content with there lives because they know whats going to happen after death.

And it's making me feel like shit because i dont have that security that they seem to have. i mean i respect there beliefs but i really dont know what to do


please help...... anyone!

Sarah


wow felt good to vent!
__________________

smurf_sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Re: so confused, dont know where to turn

Quote:
Originally posted by smurf_sista
Right um i dont know if this is the right place to say this but...

I am so confused about my religion.
I dont know what i am or what i believe or what i should believe.

I'm from Australia and at the moment im on exchange in Ireland and going to a cathloic school.

I'm baptised in the church of England back home but i dont attend church and neither do my parents. I did for a while with my boyfriend, but then he told me he had to make a choice between me and god (because we were having sex) we broke up and i just couldnt cope with it he was the first person i'd ever really loved and he broke my heart so i did some pritty stupid shit. Ok thats not the point!

well anyway i dont believe (because of the above incident)

Sarah

wow felt good to vent!
Hi Sarah, may I ask why your break up caused you to stop believing?
Mike
__________________

80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Acrobat
 
smurf_sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: in the TARDIS
Posts: 400
Local Time: 11:25 PM
Well i assumed that if the bloke wanted me to be happy he'd know im happy to be with my Jamie (we're back together now, but now either of us go to church)
smurf_sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by smurf_sista
Well i assumed that if the bloke wanted me to be happy he'd know im happy to be with my Jamie (we're back together now, but now either of us go to church)
I do understand why you're hurt, but I don't understand why this would cause you to stop believing in Christianity.
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
Acrobat
 
smurf_sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: in the TARDIS
Posts: 400
Local Time: 11:25 PM
i just find it hard to believe in somthing i cant see i've always thought this but since i've been here.................urgh i dont know what to think

and i donno i was kinda going to church to be with jamie
smurf_sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 01:25 PM
1. We dont know where we going at the end of the road so just enjoy the journey.

I sometimes find myself in between muslims at college and they talk about their beliefs and sometiems i feel a bit in the middle of the road but at the end of the day you dont need religion.

Your a stronger person at the of the day by following a moral code than doing something for a faith or so you can get into heaven.

Im a atheist btw.

Atheists are cool because we are level headed and we dont let a faith rule our heart or our head.
vaz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 09:25 AM
If you're looking for the "security" that religion seems to bring people, I think you'll need to find this in your own way, rather than trying to immitate those around you. You shouldn't be made to feel that you're not a real Christian because of things you do or don't do. Each person's faith is as unique as the person him- or herself. I encourage you to keep searching and not be put off because of one incident. I can't believe your boyfriend thought he had to chose between you and God. There's so many things not right about that, I won't even start...but anyway, people have no right to judge you because of whether or not you go to church, or where you go to church. Being a Christian is not easy and anyone who acts like it is should probably dig a bit deeper. The people who you say seem at peace may have some advantage if they grew up in the church, but even then we all come to a point where we question everything we ever thought we'd believed. You're not alone in your confusion.

Sorry for rambling on....basically, what you believe and why you believe it is your decision. You deserve to be with someone who accepts that instead of rejects it or ignores it. If Christianity is not for you, that's perfectly alright. No one should think less of you for it.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by smurf_sista
i just find it hard to believe in somthing i cant see i've always thought this but since i've been here.................urgh i dont know what to think
I would bet there are many things you can't see that you believe in. For example, do you believe in the wind?

2000 years ago, God did allow himself to be seen, for 33 years, in the person of his son, Jesus Christ.
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02
Atheists are cool because we are level headed and we dont let a faith rule our heart or our head.
Perhaps you didn't mean it this way, but I feel like this statement implies something negative about non-athiests.

smurf-- this may be a silly question, but have you talked with Jaime about your questions? I'm not saying he will provide you with some definitive answers or anything. But you obviously love him, and talking your anxieties and insecurities through with the people you love is so helpful!
redhotswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
Babyface
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Just want to let yoy know I went through the sane sort of thing. I was raised very strict Catholic, doubted God in my late teens, wrestled with gulit and fear when I realized that I believe in God completely it is the church I couldn't understand amd am now very confortable in my spirituality free of the restrictions imposed by a man made church on me. I think each of us has the right and the will to follow our hearts and seek confort in our own beliefs. Search yourself for the answers and learn from them. Most imoertantly allow others to do the same and respect them for their beliefs and traditions...COEXIST...
scooperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:25 PM
Security is not found in a lie no matter how comforting it is. If you don't believe then that just means that this life is just that bit more important and isn't a trial run; if others can't handle that then it's their problem, not yours.
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami


Perhaps you didn't mean it this way, but I feel like this statement implies something negative about non-athiests.
It definitely does, it implies that athiests always have level heads and hearts, in comparison to religion. I use my religion as a basis for my morals and ethics. Most people do that. The only time you'd hear about religion is with radicals, which goes for all religions. Don't generalize faith.

But anyway, look at the idea of religion, figure out what you like and don't like about it, and go from there. Make your decision logically and with a bit of care.
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


It definitely does, it implies that athiests always have level heads and hearts, in comparison to religion. I use my religion as a basis for my morals and ethics. Most people do that. The only time you'd hear about religion is with radicals, which goes for all religions. Don't generalize faith.

Well if you use it for a basis or not your religion still has a effect or some role in how you go about your life. Isnt that what religion is about anyway ?

bonovox1119@hotmail.com email me if you wanna talk about this further , lets try not clutter this thread with the same old religion v atheist crap.
vaz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02


Well if you use it for a basis or not your religion still has a effect or some role in how you go about your life. Isnt that what religion is about anyway ?
You're correct, but not in the way you seem to understand it. Also, I think the previous posters had beef with the way you stated your thought. It implies "if you are religious, you can't possibly be as cool or levelheaded as an atheist, simply because you are religious." Religious people become uncool and close-minded when they twist religion and allow it to permeate their thoughts in ways that case them to act very un-religiously, not just because they are religious. IMO it's not very cool and rather close-minded to judge someone because they happen to belong to some religion. Atheism is as much a religion as Christianity, Islam, etc.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic


You're correct, but not in the way you seem to understand it. Also, I think the previous posters had beef with the way you stated your thought. It implies "if you are religious, you can't possibly be as cool or levelheaded as an atheist, simply because you are religious." Religious people become uncool and close-minded when they twist religion and allow it to permeate their thoughts in ways that case them to act very un-religiously, not just because they are religious. IMO it's not very cool and rather close-minded to judge someone because they happen to belong to some religion. Atheism is as much a religion as Christianity, Islam, etc.
thats what I wanted to get at. You're so much better with words than I am!
redhotswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #16
Acrobat
 
smurf_sista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: in the TARDIS
Posts: 400
Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

But anyway, look at the idea of religion, figure out what you like and don't like about it, and go from there. Make your decision logically and with a bit of care.
I like the idea of church, a bunch of people being very supportive to each other but i really dont like there views on homosexuality. my two best mates in the whole wide world are gay and the topic comes up in religion class but as soon as i say who cares if they wanna bonk a shelia or a bloke my religion teacher starts ranting on about how its not Gods way and URGH! it fustrating

also my host bought a church run paper home and they had a huge artical about some place (i think it was america) that didnt pass a law to allow gay "marrage" and they wrote marrage with little "" thingys URGH

So i donno can i believe in God but still want my mates to have as much right to get married as i do? and the pre-marital sex thing, is that alloud?

sorry to be bugging everyone but its pissing the hell out of me!
smurf_sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,563
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Not all Christians think homosexuality is unnatural and premarrital sex means you're going to hell. Most of the ones I know believe these are nobody's business. Of course the people that think you're going straight to hellif you do are always the ones blabbing about it in the papers.

I wouldn't worry so much about what other's think. It's YOUR faith and what YOU believe that really matter.

There's absolutely no reason why God and gay rights have to be mutually exlcusive.
__________________

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×