Self-Inflicted Injury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beegee

Neon Zebra
I have been reading extensively lately about self-inflicted injury. It is apparently most common among teenagers and young adults. While cutting seems to be the most common form of self-injury, other forms of self-injury include hair pulling, burning, scratching, hitting, and re-opening old wounds. Many people who self-injure say they feel a sense of calm when they hurt themselves. A sense of control. I have also read that cutting produces a rush of adrenaline similar to what athletes refer to as a "runner's high."

Understandably, many self-injurers are afraid to share their stories but I am curious if anyone here has dealt with this issue, whether it be yourself, a friend, or a family member. I want to hear your stories. How did you (or the person you know) finally overcome self-injuring? Did they overcome it or is it something they will always struggle with? How did you cope with caring about someone who was hurting themself?

I just read your journal and though you thank others for coming forward, I do not see any replies here in this thread.
So obviously they have been private.
Understandably so, because it is an embarrasing affliction when revealed.
Not to mention that no matter how many people will 'say' they understand or have sympathy for you, they will always think you are just slightly mental.
Also, TRUE self mutilators, not just ones who do it to look cool, (and some do), do not do it to gain attention, quite the contrary.
It's a secret shame we feel no one would understand.
And we try to keep it hidden a much as possible, for fear of rejection from friends and loved ones.

I am typing this kinda of scared and also kind of pissed, because I know what the reaction of some on here will be toward me.
I mean not that I give a serious fuck, but what pisses me off is that if I were to come out, ON MY OWN, and say that I self injure,
I know I would be the butt of jokes among certain Interferencers who seem intent on proving I have a mental disease as it is.
But now that YOU have been open about your experience, you will probably get a lot of people who are sympathetic and seemingly concerned and will be sending you hugs and love.
Don't get me wrong, you need it and deserve it, it is devestating to see a loved one deal with life in this manner...but part of me knows and truly believes, no matter what, it will be superficial at best.

So, in saying that...I am a self mutilator, and have been for most my life.
It was the only way I FELT I could deal with the pain of the sexual abuse I was experiencing from my uncle and my mothers friends.
I didn't drink, I didn't do drugs. I didn't run away from home, I didn't rebel.
I was a very good child, constantly striving for perfection and attention from a loveless mother.
I burned instead.
It was the one thing I could control.
It made me feel, and it made the deeper hurt go away, even if just for a little while.

I carried it into a loveless marriage, where once again, nothing could ever be right.
I stopped for a few years after I divorced, but went right back into it after another broken marriage and failed affair...thinking it could help me through.
Of course it never does.
But the relief it brings, and the thought that if I could endure this self afflicted pain, then I can endure anything..makes it seem like the perfect drug.
I have scars all up my right arm, to prove my warrior-ness.
But in reality, everyday I see them, I feel weak because each scar is a failure and proof that I let someone fuck with my soul.
And as far as overcoming...I'll let you know when it happens.
It is a struggle, some days more than others.

I am sorry for your pain, if you would ever like to talk about it, pm me.

Last edited:
One of the girls I live with has SO many issues, and this is one of them. She hits herself, and she does all sorts of damage to herself. She stays up for days on end with no sleep (she then falls asleep in class, so she decides to stay up all night and catch up on what she missed), she takes a lot of caffine pills, appetite suppresants, laxatives to lose weight, eats paper, etc.

I'm afraid she won't live to be 30, and no matter how much I try to talk her out of such destructive behavior, none of it gets through to her.

I don't know anyone who has been though this but I understand that's not uncommon as this is a disease that's not talked about or that popular and people who do these things don't talk about it. Interesting though, I'd like to learn what causes people to do these things and how does one get cured of it? It's sad really.

I know of several people who do it for attention. I find it pathetic.

If you really have a problem, fair enough, but doing it for attention just belittles other peoples problems.

I think statements like this are what make people afraid to come forward.

Jase, dem, Carek, thank you for the thoughtful and sensitive posts.

No, honestly, statements like this are from people that just see what they see...fakers.
Maybe MOO has seen this in people that just desire attention, because like I mentioned , there are such types.

It's the frequent posters... AKA post whores, who act like they care and understand that I would be wary of.
People who just HAVE to say something for the sake of saying it, people who have to place themselves in every situation, and come off sincere because they have no fucking real life...

Those are the ones to be wary of.

I started cutting when I was about 14. I'd already been placed on a popular antidepressent, for depression/anxiety, although I'd never hurt myself before. Unfortunately, the drug was too strong, and I was left feeling numb and robbed of my emotions. I couldn't cry anymore, but what was worse, I couldn't laugh either. I was miserable. I started cutting myself on my ankle, and later my thigh. It was therapeutic for me, and seemed to take me away from myself. I didn't cut deep, and it didn't hurt much, but it was enough for me to release my pent-up emotions.

Later when I was off the medication and had my emotions back, I found that whenever I got upset, I was overcome with a strong desire to hurt myself. I have anger issues, I guess, but when I get mad at other people or situations or whatever, I just turn it all inward and get mad at myself, and so I continued to hurt myself in those situations. It wasn't always cutting. I would slap my thighs and dig my nails into my skin and pull at my hair and bite my knuckles. Anything to bring a burst of pain.

You're absolutely right that it's a chemical reaction in your brain. This is scientific. You hurt yourself, and your brain releases those feel-good endorphins to lower your blood pressure and lessen the pain. It's an automatic response to injury. It's the same reason why when you stub your toe, it hurts really bad at first, but within a minute it stops entirely. My mom always said it was like your brain was giving you a shot of morphine.

It's addicting. Once you figure out that cutting yourself (or hurting yourself in general) is going to make you feel better when you're emotionally upset, you're going to always want to go for it. For the same reason that other people might turn to drugs or alcohol to soothe themselves.

And in that sense, I deviate from the norm in that I don't think self-injury is omgsowrong. It makes a lot of people uncomfortable, and it is entirely too frequently associated with suicide (yes, some people slit their wrists to kill themselves, yes, some people that cut themselves are suicidal, but cutting by itself is necessarily a suicidal activity, I have never been suicidal), but I never really felt ashamed for doing it. It was just my way of dealing with myself. To me, it was preferable to taking a valium in order to achieve the same sense of calm.

I never cut deeply, I kept my cuts clean, and there was no danger to it. But even though I was not ashamed of it, I kept my cuts hidden simply so I didn't have to deal with other people's misinterpretations. It actually pissed me off how against it some people were when they found out. There was an anything-but-that attitude about it. Some would prefer that I continue hitting myself and pulling at my hair, rather than bring anything sharp near my skin. To me, self-injury is self-injury, why should cutting be so much more taboo?

I'm 22 now, and my cutting probably got the worst in my late teens. Around age 18-19 or so. By then I was cutting my left wrist exclusively, and hiding the cuts with bracelets. I've since stopped. It's been just over a year since the last time I actively cut myself, but before that, it had gotten few and far between. I think I've stopped for a number of reasons. My quality of life is generally better, I have better control over my emotions, and I've gained some control over myself in general. But the urge is still there. Just yesterday, I got pissed off and started slapping my thighs before I realized what it was doing. Several weeks ago, I was upset, and found myself clawing at my forearm with my fingernails. And when I get really upset, I still find myself thinking about dragging a blade across my wrist. Like any other addiction, there are cravings, but I just have to force myself to not reach for that razorblade, and instead find a distraction until the bad feelings pass.

I feel as though I should add a big disclaimer here though. I sort of have a nonchalant coldness about my own struggles with self-injury. I don't require hugs or sympathy or empathy, and I certainly don't need anybody worrying about me. It's not a big deal to me at all. It's just another facet of who I am. I'm not proud of it, but I'm not ashamed of it either. What I'd really hate is to see anyone thinking differently of me after having read this post. I'm still the same kooky whore you knew and loved before you knew these things about me :wink:

And Jase, if anybody wants to fuck with you because they've read this thread, well then just send them my way. I've been through the fucking wringer called life, and I'd be damned if I let some prick on the internet get under my skin because they've got nothing better to do. I've got a mean streak, and I'm not afraid to use it to defend myself, or you, or anybody else like us that needs defending.

MooMoo! said:

If you really have a problem, fair enough, but doing it for attention just belittles other peoples problems.

Come on!:|

MooMoo! said:

Do you ever wonder why people would want that kind of attention though?

meegannie said:

Do you ever wonder why people would want that kind of attention though?

night_and_day66 said:

So obviously they have been private.
Understandably so, because it is an embarrasing affliction when revealed.
Not to mention that no matter how many people will 'say' they understand or have sympathy for you, they will always think you are just slightly mental.
Also, TRUE self mutilators, not just ones who do it to look cool, (and some do), do not do it to gain attention, quite the contrary.
It's a secret shame we feel no one would understand.
And we try to keep it hidden a much as possible, for fear of rejection from friends and loved ones.

^Just to reiterate.

I believe I made it quite clear that it is not for attention.
It is a coping mechinism for true self injurers.
If I could take back having my children and friends know about my weakness, I would in an instant.
How do you think I feel knowing my daughter hurts so bad over it, that she cries or gets pissed when looking at my arm?
(even though I have not burned in many months and it was a while before that).
Or the fact that I cannot say a fucking thing to anyone I love who I have seen with scars on their hands and arms because they would laugh in my face if I told them why they should not self-injure.
That one just fucking kills me everyday.

Some people just handle things differently.
Some people drink or do drugs.
Some take pills to work their way through the guilt and/pain.
Some take out their anguish with a shotgun to their co-workers or fellow students.
Some commit suicide to deal.
Some will abuse their family or children to release anger.
Some immerse themselves in religion and God in an attempt to wash themselves clean, and 'deal' with their failures in life.

And some choose to self inflict because we truly wish no harm on anyone...we just internalize because we don't want to bother anyone with what we feel
is something that can't ever be healed.
And the pain of knowing certain things, no matter what, will never go away.

In my case it was and has been dealing with the sexual abuse from people that my mother allowed to violate me when I was very young in order to pay for her drug addiction...
molestation from family members and 2 rapes when I was a teenager.
Also, I was almost murdered during an attempted rape when I was 14.

If I could not do this as a means to deal with certain things, don't you think I would?
I think most of us would choose to not have this as a weakness.
Its ugly and embarrasing.
And just to let you anyone know....I love life, I really do.
I appreciate everyday God gives me and my children.
I am one of the most happiest people I know, and one of the most positive persons despite all that I have endured.
Personally, I don't hurt myself on a whim, or over lifes little bothers.
There usually is a triggering point for me, like an emotion or scenario or someone treating me unfairly and unjustly,
that takes me to the place where I need to feel a deeper pain than what they are putting me through.

But if makes anyone feel better... go ahead and pick one of the above choices as an alternative.
That is unless you would like to pay for my treatment, that would be lovely.

:huh:

I was asking MooMoo! who said he/she knew several people who do it for attention. My point is that saying that someone does something for attention is a way of dismissing them and ignoring the fact that most people who crave negative attention do so for a reason.

Last edited:
Night and day knows what Im talking about. These are people I know from high school, kids whose life is practically perfect, yet they self harm, and make no secret of it, almost gloryfing it for attention. If you have serious problems, and self harm because of it, you dont go singing and shouting it to everyone you know. :|

And like I said, this belittles the people who have REAL problems like Night and Day, as if they were to tell someone about their problem, quite likely he/she would be dismissed as being "emo" or attention seeking, when quite obviously she/he does this because of deep rooted problems.

Also, Id quite like someone to explain how this makes them feel better. I can see that it provides some method of release or relief, but I cant get my head around how hurting yourself because you're already hurt helps? :scratch: Or is it more a method or replacing the "bad" pain with a "good" pain? like a controlled pain you have power over?

MooMoo! said:

Because clearly people who do it for attention have nothing else that may be wrong. :rolleyes:

How fucking unsensitive can you get? I was a cutter in high school and a very good friend of mine currently is. It makes me sick to remember how many people casually put it down to wanting attention. It isn't that at all. It is about releasing pain in the only way one knew how.

ylimeU2 said:

Because clearly people who do it for attention have nothing else that may be wrong. :rolleyes:

How fucking unsensitive can you get? I was a cutter in high school and a very good friend of mine currently is. It makes me sick to remember how many people casually put it down to wanting attention. It isn't that at all. It is about releasing pain in the only way one knew how.
Did you even read my above post?

ylimeU2 said:

:up: It makes me really disappointed in humanity (way to go yet again, Interference!) to see people making comments about "true" self-injurers and "fakers." It's not a competition.

MooMoo! said:
Also, Id quite like someone to explain how this makes them feel better. I can see that it provides some method of release or relief, but I cant get my head around how hurting yourself because you're already hurt helps? :scratch: Or is it more a method or replacing the "bad" pain with a "good" pain? like a controlled pain you have power over?

Read DreamOutLoud's post again.

MooMoo! said:
WTF? No, no I wouldnt.

So what would make someone else do it for attention if there's absolutely nothing wrong with them? What makes you different from them? I'm not attacking you, and I've read your posts. I'm just asking you to think about why someone would do something self-destructive for attention. There are people who are depressed or have other mental health issues whose lives you might think are "practically perfect." It's not always situational, and people deal with things differently. Not everyone keeps their scars hidden, just like not everyone proudly displays them. I'm not saying that some people don't do it for attention, but you have to look at why people would want that sort of attention in the first place and what problem in their life they're trying to address. Normal, healthy people don't cut themselves for attention.

These people, the ones I know, cut themselves because their boyfriends left them, because their parents wouldnt let them have this or that. These people were teenagers, and I fail to see how they can all collectively have problems that are worth hurting yourself for. It was blatantly obvious that this was the cool thing to do, it was a social thing, if you dont cut yourself you wernt anyone. :rolleyes: Now can you see what Im talking about?

This is what makes me so fucking sick about "emo" culture, its popular to harm yourself. Do you understand now? Do you understand what Im trying to say? It makes the people with REAL problems who self harm seem like attention seekers, like they fake it or are just another one of the thousands who do it because its the trendy thing to do.

I mean fucking hell, people DO deal with problems differently but these people DIDNT NEED to go to that extreme, the treatment in this case was VASTLY disproportionate to ANY sort of problems they did it to releive.

MooMoo! said:
It makes the people with REAL problems who self harm seem like attention seekers, like they fake it or are just another one of the thousands who do it because its the trendy thing to do.

What would make someone do that to be trendy, though? If you wouldn't do it, what would make someone else?

So who is the arbiter of what real problems are? Is there an official scale?

Can you understand how comments like that would make someone reluctant to speak to anyone about what's going on in their life?

I sort of agree where Moo is coming from here. As a person who has never been a cutter, my immediate gut reaction is - why would you do something like that and what is the matter with you? I can't pretend to know what is going on in someone's mind and their motivations for doing so. As an outsider, it is terribly difficult to understand why someone would go to such extremes. We all have our problems in life, but go about dealing with things in different fashions. Some ways are more normal or socially accepted than others and I can't fathom ever cutting myself as a way of dealing with things. Maybe it's one those things where you pinch yourself on your arm to forget about the pain in your leg, I don't know. I have no idea if what I'm saying makes any sense, but I think it's very difficult for me to be sympathetic in these situations. I can be empathetic, but sympathetic is harder for me and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Back
Top Bottom