Seeking advice from Christians and non-Christians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeannieco said:

:) I want to compliment you on your ability to express yourself! It doesn't come that easliy to me! You are an awesome witness and I cannot believe you are only 18 yrs old. More power to you Brittany!
You are great, and encourage me too! :rockon:
Jeannie :)

Thank you so much Jeannie!:hug: I can say the same right back to you! I mess up a lot more than I would like to, but I hope I'm doing the best I can! We have some new thread in "Goal Is Soul", btw. You should check them out if you get a chance.

So I've been reading more of the Bible, just thumbing through here and there. I'm amazed at how it actually speaks to me as I read it. The Bible that Peter loaned me has some choice passages about different things, such as facing difficulties and uncertainties and the like. I'm finding an enormous comfort in it. There's this amazing calm that's entered me and I don't want to deny it.

Now my question is, how do I reveal this to my significant other? I haven't said anything about this to anyone in my personal life, and I know I'll have to say something to my SO. I know my SO will be supportive of me and everything, but I know it will be strange to him, because he knows I have had somewhat of a disdain for organized religion (and Christianity in particular). It's strange to me too. It's like, I'm not cheating on him with Peter - it's far worse - Peter is helping me find God! It's kind of funny though; I'm hiding my Bibles and the booklet I have and reading them when my SO is asleep. I'm not ashamed of it or anything like that; I guess I just wanted to make sure this was the best thing for me to do before talking to my SO about it. Does that make sense? Sorry for the rambling; it's really late.

Anyway, I'd still like information on Bible study if anyone has anything about that. Thanks!

I also want to thank everyone here for their kind words and thoughts, especially the non-believers. Of course I expected the believers here to encourage me to explore this path (which I deeply appreciate), and the non-believers' words really helped cement the feeling I have now. I look forward to everyone's future comments as well. I can't say for certain where the wind will take me from here, but for now, I've been able to find some inner peace that I never thought possible, and I'm determined to make that a foundation to help me become a better person. I'm also going to print this thread out in a couple of days and give it to Peter, so if anyone wants to leave any thoughts or comments to him, feel free to do so. :) Of course I can't promise that he'll personally reply.

I love U2 fans!!!!!!!!! :hug:

Last edited:
Somebody said:
So I've been reading more of the Bible, just thumbing through here and there. I'm amazed at how it actually speaks to me as I read it. The Bible that Peter loaned me has some choice passages about different things, such as facing difficulties and uncertainties and the like. I'm finding an enormous comfort in it. There's this amazing calm that's entered me and I don't want to deny it.

Now my question is, how do I reveal this to my significant other? I haven't said anything about this to anyone in my personal life, and I know I'll have to say something to my SO. I know my SO will be supportive of me and everything, but I know it will be strange to him, because he knows I have had somewhat of a disdain for organized religion (and Christianity in particular). It's strange to me too. It's like, I'm not cheating on him with Peter - it's far worse - Peter is helping me find God! It's kind of funny though; I'm hiding my Bibles and the booklet I have and reading them when my SO is asleep. I'm not ashamed of it or anything like that; I guess I just wanted to make sure this was the best thing for me to do before talking to my SO about it. Does that make sense? Sorry for the rambling; it's really late.

Anyway, I'd still like information on Bible study if anyone has anything about that. Thanks!

I also want to thank everyone here for their kind words and thoughts, especially the non-believers. Of course I expected the believers here to encourage me to explore this path (which I deeply appreciate), and the non-believers' words really helped cement the feeling I have now. I look forward to everyone's future comments as well. I can't say for certain where the wind will take me from here, but for now, I've been able to find some inner peace that I never thought possible, and I'm determined to make that a foundation to help me become a better person. I'm also going to print this thread out in a couple of days and give it to Peter, so if anyone wants to leave any thoughts or comments to him, feel free to do so. :) Of course I can't promise that he'll personally reply.

I love U2 fans!!!!!!!!! :hug:

I have not yet had time to look for an online Bible study, but I will definitely get to that in the next couple days! Now, I would say you need to tell your SO about what you've been experiencing. As you said, if he won't judge you or discourage you; that would be yet another source of comfort along the way. There just has to come a time when you both can sit down together and you can explain what you've been going through lately. I just want to caution you: Anyone you're close with, who discourages you in this area is someone you want to slowly cut off close contact with them if you choose to seek out the Christian life more. On a side note, this should go for anyone who is being discouraged by anyone they're close to in any situation. I will be thinking and praying for you, and feel free to ask for any help you need!:hug:

Whoa, slow down there redhotswami! There's no way I'm ready for something like that!!!!!!!! But my SO was raised Catholic, so it won't be like I'm introducing something completely new to him at all, but maybe just nudging him back to his faith. Which will be weird, because I never really encouraged (or discouraged) his spiritual journey.

I think I'm just nervous because of the initial conversation we're going to have. He knows about Peter, and that Peter's been helping me, but he doesn't know the Christian part of it. So I'm worried I'm going to cause him a lot of anxiety when I tell him "Something's happened between me and Peter..." - it sounds really bad that way. I was kind of thinking of starting off by saying, "Trust me, your first thoughts are going to be completely wrong about this..." In any event, I have no doubt in my mind that he will fully support me with this - I'm just worried about the initial reaction. I'm very lucky to have my SO in my life, he's really helped me through a lot of crap, and I know that I really do need him more than he needs me.

redhotswami, I've just noticed your location - that's beautiful. What's it from?

Okay, I'm off to read Ezekiel now.

sorry :reject: i guess i got a little too excited. but it sounds like your SO is awesome, and I'm sure he will be supportive of you :)

My location is from a song called Tennessee by Arrested Development. I'd say, hands down, my top favorite song ever. It is the story of my life!! Check it out! Theres some really powerful lyrics in their music.

redhotswami said:
sorry :reject: i guess i got a little too excited. but it sounds like your SO is awesome, and I'm sure he will be supportive of you :)

My location is from a song called Tennessee by Arrested Development. I'd say, hands down, my top favorite song ever. It is the story of my life!! Check it out! Theres some really powerful lyrics in their music.

Oh wow, I love that song and AD! Are they still around? I really liked them a few year back....I totally forgot about them.
What's that other song called about the homeless man? Mr. Jones? Is that it? My brain is failing me :)

I think it was Mr. Wendell, Jeannieco. :yes:

redhotswami said:
Ah, I knew that lyric was familiar, but I couldn't place it!!! Yes, I know that song!!!!

Somebody said:
I think it was Mr. Wendell, Jeannieco. :yes:

Ah, I knew that lyric was familiar, but I couldn't place it!!! Yes, I know that song!!!!

Thank you!! :laugh: Mr. Jones, geez, I was thinking of the song by the Counting Crows.

Mr. Wendell is soooooooo much better. ! I love that song, it's on my MP3 player. I workout to it!

One day you'll look back, and you'll see
Where you were held now by this love.
While you could stand there,
You could move on this moment
Follow this feeling.

Never have these words rung more true in my life. This entire song sums up what I'm feeling at this moment...I've been running away from what I don't understand. I always thought God didn't care about me. Now I realize that He put U2 in my life because 'conventional' religion made me run away. He did many other things too, that I now see. This is my day to look back and see where I was held now by this love. I know it won't be a piece of cake from here on out - not by a long shot - but I've found an inner peace inside that makes me realize I will be able to face the future with more certainty than I ever thought possible. I still have questions, lots and lots of questions - really hard questions - but I think I'm going to be alright. I'm going to follow this feeling.

I've created an email account if anyone wishes to keep in contact with me. I'd love to hear from all of you, and don't worry, non-believers, I won't try to 'convert' you or anything, and I won't tell you how much God loves you and the like, because I know I didn't appreciate hearing it myself. If you just need to get something off your chest, or share something for any reason, I'd be happy to hear from you.

:hug:

Somebody said:
One day you'll look back, and you'll see
Where you were held now by this love.
While you could stand there,
You could move on this moment
Follow this feeling.

Never have these words rung more true in my life. This entire song sums up what I'm feeling at this moment...I've been running away from what I don't understand. I always thought God didn't care about me. Now I realize that He put U2 in my life because 'conventional' religion made me run away. He did many other things too, that I now see. This is my day to look back and see where I was held now by this love. I know it won't be a piece of cake from here on out - not by a long shot - but I've found an inner peace inside that makes me realize I will be able to face the future with more certainty than I ever thought possible. I still have questions, lots and lots of questions - really hard questions - but I think I'm going to be alright. I'm going to follow this feeling.

I've created an email account if anyone wishes to keep in contact with me. I'd love to hear from all of you, and don't worry, non-believers, I won't try to 'convert' you or anything, and I won't tell you how much God loves you and the like, because I know I didn't appreciate hearing it myself. If you just need to get something off your chest, or share something for any reason, I'd be happy to hear from you.

:hug:

That's really awesome, Somebody. I'm so happy for you!

I don't know of any online Bible studies but I've been thinking of starting one, so maybe we could just start one!

What I've gained from my faith is a deep sense of peace and assurance that is constant even as my feelings go up and down. Sometimes, I really feel God's presence strongly and I feel really great, other times I do get down and feel discouraged and feel like God is far away. That's life I guess. . .but underneath those ups and downs, like the calm of the deep ocean beneath the rough surface is this sense that regardless of how I feel at the moment God loves me and that I am safe in His love and in this way I'm able to endure the lows and treasure the highs. I hope you have a similar experience!

I was raised in a Christian environment and I've dealt with a lot of baggage that came with spending my earliest years with an abusive and religiously fanatical father. To this day, the trauma of those years makes my spiritual experience more of a struggle, and yet by the grace of God I've managed to find Him inspite of all my baggage. I remember during college, reading the gospels, especially John, and just being so excited to be really discovering Jesus for the first time for myself. I remember one night being so excited by how amazing He was that I couldn't even go to sleep! I was discovering that this was a love worth living for.

My prayers are with you and your SO and Peter. I hope things turn out well there.

And how was Ezekiel? That book always blows my mind---I'll confess I don't understand a lot of it--but in away I kind of don't mind that I don't get it because it just reminds me that God is really bigger than we can wrap our minds around. It shows a different side of God, I think. And I do believe that the clearest picture we have of God is found in the person of Jesus, so when I encounter those kind of "tough-to-understand" pictures of God in some parts of the Bible, I always remind myself that while I may not understand that portrait, I do understand Jesus and he said "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father."

Sorry I've been away...I actually haven't, just haven't had time to write down what's been happening.

So Friday night I told my SO and everything went great. He actually cried as I told him my story. But he was completely shocked at first - me? A Christian??? Anyway I got rid of the "Something's happened between me and Peter" part and just said, "I'm becoming a Christian". I'm getting used to saying it. But then again I know that the members of U2 aren't really comfortable with it either, so I think I'm in good company.

So he asked me if it meant we needed to go to church, which of course I said yes. Peter told me his church (a non-denominational one :up: ) was awesome, so to make a long story short, I decided to go to the one he goes to, even though it's a little far away for me. Peter was right, too - I loved it! He introduced me to the pastor after the service, and, to paraphrase, when Peter did that, the pastor looked at me and said, "Oh, you're Somebody!" I was puzzled and asked how he knew that, he said that Peter had requested they pray for me during a previous service. Peter never told me that! I was so touched by that. When I started thinking about it later that afternoon I got really choked up. I now realize why Christianity teaches to serve others before serving yourself. (And of course to serve God first.) It was then I decided I'm ready to say the prayer of Salvation, which isn't a requirement or anything, but I want to say it. I just want to do it in front of my SO and especially in front of Peter, and the pastor too. (You don't really have to do it in front of anybody, but I feel like I'll be more accountable if they witness it.) Unfortunately, the pastor is out of the country atm and as I understand it won't be back for a few weeks, but that'll just give me more time, I guess. I've waited years and years, so a few more weeks won't hurt.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update. And maycocksean, I started reading Ezekiel, but I got too confused with it (and a little scared about it!), so I wandered around elsewhere. I've taken starsforu2 advice and am now in the book of John, and it's wonderful. Thank you for your post - it's really helping me. :hug: Let me know if you start that online Bible study - I'll be your first member! But the great thing is, the church that I go to is kind of like a Bible study. During the service the pastor goes through one chapter, and this (my first service) was over Colossians chapter 1, which talks about how Christians need to keep at helping others and stuff. It made me realize that Peter is kind of like my sponsor right now. (No offense to AA or anything like that, it's just the best analogy I can think of!)

Take care.

Hey Somebody! :hug: What a beautiful weekend you must've had! I'm so happy for you. I'm happy you've also found a new community with this church. Peter, the pastor, and many others who frequent it will be there supporting you and helping you on the way.

I'm not familiar with an online Bible study, however, one of my favorite web sites is Sacred Space. It is an Irish Jesuit web site, and it has prayers for every day, which are guided by scripture...usually flowing with a theme. Check it out!

http://www.sacredspace.ie/

All the best :hug:

I'm so glad things went well with your SO!

And I will definitely let you know if/when I get that Bible study going.

You're in my prayers everyday.

Just a very quick update - I couldn't wait. I saw Peter today and said the prayer of Salvation! It's just so incredible. I thanked Peter once again, and he said he's not really the one I should be thanking. I can't describe the feeling I have right now. It's just utterly amazing.

I printed out the thread (yikes! It's over 20 pages long when you print it!!) and gave it to Peter today as well. He briefly skimmed the first page and when he saw that I'm calling him 'Peter' in this thread, he chuckled. It wasn't until he chuckled that I realized why: He's a huge Spiderman fan! (Peter Parker is Spiderman's secret identity.) I honestly didn't have any real reasoning behind picking that name, but we had a laugh about it. :giggle: I knew he was a Spiderman fan, but the connection didn't hit me until after he chuckled. That whole mysterious ways thing again. :wink:

Somebody said:
Just a very quick update - I couldn't wait. I saw Peter today and said the prayer of Salvation! It's just so incredible. I thanked Peter once again, and he said he's not really the one I should be thanking. I can't describe the feeling I have right now. It's just utterly amazing.

I printed out the thread (yikes! It's over 20 pages long when you print it!!) and gave it to Peter today as well. He briefly skimmed the first page and when he saw that I'm calling him 'Peter' in this thread, he chuckled. It wasn't until he chuckled that I realized why: He's a huge Spiderman fan! (Peter Parker is Spiderman's secret identity.) I honestly didn't have any real reasoning behind picking that name, but we had a laugh about it. :giggle: I knew he was a Spiderman fan, but the connection didn't hit me until after he chuckled. That whole mysterious ways thing again. :wink:

:applaud: :rockon: :hyper: That's awesome Somebody!!! Your life really will never be the same again! You'll still struggle, sin, and mess up, but your future is secure now! Jesus will be there every step of the way, and so will all your fellow Believers. You're awesome!! I can't wait to hear from you again!

I just clicked on this thread and I am SOOOOO happy for you, Somebody! That is such an amazing feeling, and U2isthebest said it PERFECTLY. I've been a Christian my whole life, and I can definitely say it's the best life to live. I'm so excited for you! :hug:

Well, here I am, giving an update. Things have been not so good the past few weeks. I don’t really know where to begin.

The church I was going to failed me. Which is miserable for someone like me, so new to all of this. They kept saying that new people are welcome to fill out their little blue cards with information and questions, which I did back on February 5th. I’m still waiting to hear from somebody there. I got tired of waiting and decided to do an experiment. 2 or 3 weeks ago I wrote a check and put it in the same box as I put the blue card in. Not a lot of money, but just a test to see how quickly the check would be cashed. I put it in on a Sunday and by that Thursday it was cashed. So, basically, I learned, they’re much more interested in hearing from my bank account than from me, no matter how much they say otherwise.

The pastor at the church just ended up rubbing me and my SO the wrong way by being so smug about how his church does things and how other churches (those with denominations that he actually mentioned by name) do it that way, and really put them down. Once, maybe I can understand he’s just being himself, but after 3 times in the 5 weeks we went I realized it’s more of a normal thing for him to do that. I wonder why though. To me, it’s just a sign on insecurity when you have to put other people down all the time to pump yourself up.

Things between me and Peter have pretty much dissolved; not once has he asked me how I’m doing. If he did at this point I’m sure I’d just break down and cry in front of him anyway. Peter doesn’t know about my experiment or my feelings about his beloved pastor. I really feel like I need him right now to show me how to be a Christian and he’s just not there; either because he doesn’t want to be or he can’t be, I’m not sure.

I tried making my own Christian network and have not been able to do so. I realize I have limited social skills (why else would I be doing something like this on the Internet?), but one thing I was taught about Christianity is that Christians are supposed to drop everything for you when you need them, and I’m finding that’s not the case. One actually told me a couple weeks ago that she wanted to go have coffee with me but I’d have to wait until after the 10th because she’s too busy right now. I already told you about how long it took to get the Bible I purchased earlier this year, and with the church not responding to my blue card and now this woman telling me to wait, it seems to me that God has much better things to do with his time than be with me right now. Unless he has access to my checking account apparently.

I suppose my church will have to be U2 concerts for awhile. I really don’t want to go find another one at this time because I’m still raw from the experience I had with Peter’s church and I just can’t get hurt like that again so soon. The terrible thing is, my SO really wants to try to find something, so we went to another church 2 weeks ago that one of my co-workers, ‘Sam’, attends. Unfortunately by that point I was so far gone I literally was just there to support my SO and I didn’t really get anything out of it. And it’s sad, but the people Sam’s church made us feel more welcome in that one service than Peter’s church ever did, but I just don’t want to go back. Mostly because that pastor nearly did the same thing in putting down another denomination, except he didn’t specifically name that denomination. Is that what churches do? I certainly hope not.

In any event, because my SO wants to try to find something we fit into, I’ve found a couple other places that may work for us. Unfortunately I’ll have to be working Sundays for awhile so we won’t be able to try those churches any time soon. Maybe that’s a good thing; it’ll give me some time to help me heal from this mess. Because right now I feel so distant from God it just makes me angry. I’m beginning to think I made a mistake. Then I think of the whole ‘salt of the earth’ passage, which basically means we’re supposed to be seasonings in God’s stew. Well, some seasonings are supposed to stand out, and some are supposed to be subtle. Maybe that means that some people are meant to be closer to God than others. I just feel so alone right now. I’m really not sure about this whole praying for me deal either. It doesn’t seem to work for me. I hope I’m making sense with this; it’s difficult to type with tears in my eyes.

I'm not sure if there is something like this at your church, but mine offers spiritual direction. A spiritual director is somebody that is involved with the church (priest, friar, nun, layperson, etc.) whom you can schedule to meet with as regularly as weekly. There are no prerequisites, you're welcome to just call them up, tell a bit about what you're looking for, and they will help you out. My spiritual director was phenomenal. To this day we are still buddies.

I can understand you wanting to take a break though. What an awful set of events to go through :hug: I really do hope you find a community soon. While I'm all about a personal journey, and a personal relationship with God, I also know the importance of having a group of people who share the same beliefs to support you.

In the meantime, do you continue to read your bible? Have you read the book of psalms yet? They offer a lot of inspiration, which has helped me in desperate times.

And as for praying, prayers do not necessarily have to be formal. I know there have been plenty nights where I was just crying with tears in my eyes and yelling at God. But hey, that's still communication ;) (at least that is what I tell myself.) Do you tell God how frustrated you are? Do you let God know you feel distant and abandoned? Everything you feel, you can tell God. A lot of times it doesn't feel this way, but God is right there.

Some people suck. It is the truth. I'm sorry you've run into some of them. But I have still been thinking of you, and praying for you. Honestly! Even though this thread hasn't been updated in months, you've been on my mind. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I don't know where you are, but if you were here, I really would be the one to drop everything and listen. I'm a better listener than a talker.

I dont know whether or not im qualified to give an opinion on this, as im no longer (or at least not as much of a believer) a christian, but as far as your feelings of "God not being there" for you go, from a christian point of view thats not gods fault, its peoples free will, and whether not theyre preists they are human so believing in God does not automatically make them good people. The same unfortunately goes for you. I dont want to sound harsh but just because youve started believing in (or at least getting into) christianity you cant just expect your life to suddenly start going peachy. God, if you believe him to be, is always with you. Perhaps its a test of faith, I dont know. Like I said im not really a christian anymore, im more agnostic going on athiest. (technically I am still a catholic)
I, as a small child had a lot of faith. I wasnt even sure what god it was I had faith in but I knew without a doubt it existed. A relative of mine had died and I knew I would see him again when I died. I found faith incredably comforting, just for that reason. But I realise now that I only believed because of that, and so that was a a selfish reason, and the only reason I believed in god was for personal gain.

But as ive said im not longer religious. Not that I dont believe, I just find it less and less legible every day. I dont blame God for bad things as some people do, but I just have too many unexplained and unanswerable questions to dedicate myself to a religion.

anyway im going off topic, with regards to your church problem, I dont really think you should be worrying. you dont need to go to church to be a good christian, and as far as denominations go, dont join one. If church is an issue for you find a non denominational one. As the saying goes, God doesnt have a religion.

That probably hasnt helped much but I hope you manage to solve your problems. :)

Not sure if this is the case, but with the timing of the distancing, I think I am. It looks like the distancing came soon after the Salvation Prayer. Woo, court, seduce. He got what he wanted--your soul, you to say the Salvation Prayer. Now he's off to find new conquests, save new souls. It's hard not to feel abandoned, betrayed.

You'll see if that is the case.

It's up to you to do what you want to do with the rest of it.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread.

I grew up Catholic and still consider myself to be on.

I take issue with a lot of things about the church, but what I take comfort in is the fact that God and his love for us is not in a church, nor is it in a priest, or a nun, or anything (or anyone) having to do with the institution of the "Church."

God and his love are all around us.

Also, I have found that within the Catholic church (and I am sure this is true of other religions), local churches vary quiet a bit based on the make up of the parish and the priests. Check out different churches (in whatever denomination it is that interests you) in your area until you find one that meets your spiritual needs. I personally have "shopped" around until I found a Catholic parish that I liked and that spoke to me.

Hey, I'm just now seeing this thread. What a moving thing to hear that you've handed your life over to Christ. It gave me goosebumps. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a good church. Keep searching though. Pray about it and let God lead to you a good, Bible/Christ-centered church. I know you're frustrated with the one's you've been to so far, but keep in mind, like everything else in life, there's good churches and bad ones. You'll find a good one. In the meantime, keep spending time with God. Keep praying. Keep reading his word. (Try the Gospel of John if you haven't already). The church is important, especially to those entering a relationship with God, however, it's not necessesary for a relationship with God. That can be worked on in the quiet morning hours, with an open heart, an open Bible and an honest yearning for the presence of God.

"All God wants is a willing heart and for us to call out to him."
- Bono

God bless you, Somebody. You're in my prayers and the prayers of many others here. Keep us posted so we can keep praying for you.

coemgen

Somebody:sad: I am so sorry for what's happened with you! Just know that these people do not represent Jesus! He is holding you and loving you more than you know! Keep trusting that even if you don't "feel" it. I don't much of the time, but yet there's knowing deep inside me! I think you still have my e-mail address. I'd love to hear from you soon! In the meantime, I'm praying extra hard for you!:hug: :kiss:

coemgen said:
Hey, I'm just now seeing this thread. What a moving thing to hear that you've handed your life over to Christ. It gave me goosebumps. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding a good church. Keep searching though. Pray about it and let God lead to you a good, Bible/Christ-centered church. I know you're frustrated with the one's you've been to so far, but keep in mind, like everything else in life, there's good churches and bad ones. You'll find a good one. In the meantime, keep spending time with God. Keep praying. Keep reading his word. (Try the Gospel of John if you haven't already). The church is important, especially to those entering a relationship with God, however, it's not necessesary for a relationship with God. That can be worked on in the quiet morning hours, with an open heart, an open Bible and an honest yearning for the presence of God.

"All God wants is a willing heart and for us to call out to him."
- Bono

God bless you, Somebody. You're in my prayers and the prayers of many others here. Keep us posted so we can keep praying for you.

coemgen

Hey Coemgen. How have you been lately?:hug: I was just wondering where/when that Bono quote is from It's one I've never heard of before. It's so simple, yet profound at the same time. Thanks!

U2isthebest said:

Hey Coemgen. How have you been lately?:hug: I was just wondering where/when that Bono quote is from It's one I've never heard of before. It's so simple, yet profound at the same time. Thanks!

I'm good. How's U2isthebest?

The quote is from the last chapter of "U2 at the End of the World."(If I remember correctly.)
I believe it's part of a letter Bono wrote his dad as the band was just starting to make it. It's an incredible chapter (and book).

Last edited:
coemgen said:

I'm good. How's U2isthebest?

The quote is from the last chapter of "U2 at the End of the World."(If I remember correctly.)
I believe it's part of a letter Bono wrote his dad as the band was just starting to make it. It's an incredible chapter (and book).

Thanks for the info! That is one U2 book I don't have yet. It's on my list of books to get soon though. I've been very well, thank you!

BonosSaint said:
Not sure if this is the case, but with the timing of the distancing, I think I am. It looks like the distancing came soon after the Salvation Prayer. Woo, court, seduce. He got what he wanted--your soul, you to say the Salvation Prayer. Now he's off to find new conquests, save new souls. It's hard not to feel abandoned, betrayed.

You'll see if that is the case.

It's up to you to do what you want to do with the rest of it.

It's like I got myself into a one night stand from Jesus.

I felt better after putting up that last post; I guess I just needed to sort things out in my head. Right now I'm just wanting to take a break from all of it, maybe a week or so, just to try to get things together in my head. Plus I'm working 6 days a week right now so there's not much time to think about it anyway. I don't know why I expected the first church I went to to do it for me; I guess because they all pretty much are supposed to be open to all people, at least that was my impression going in. It's sad that that's not the case. And it's especially tough to choose a church when you don't have any kind of foundation to draw from.

redhotswami, I do tell God how frustrated and angry and confused I am, and then I take the 'not my will, thy will' and make it into, "God, if you're in the mood to do this...". It's not a "formal" prayer with hands together and head bowed, but I guess it's prayer all the same. I haven't been reading my Bible, at first it was a bit out of spite since I was angry with the pastor and the church we went to, and now just because there's not a lot of time to devote to it, plus I'd still like to have a Bible study. I was guessing that when I filled out their little blue card that some sort of spiritual director would get in touch with me to help me along, but that never happened.

Anyway I've got to get going now. I'll try to write more in a few days. I appreciate all your thoughts.

It's definitely understandable what you're feeling about all of this. My hope and prayer for you I guess is that you don't let a few flawed human beings (which we all are, actually) keep you from developing your relationship with God. I just encourage you to start with God and then work out. You know? Get back into praying and reading the Bible and make that your center. Then find some good Christian friends and a good, Bible-based church. As Christians, we all need prayer, the Bible, community and opportunities to serve. These things are what help us grow. It all has to start with God though.

I've been praying for you. Hang in there.

coemgen

I know it's a serious topic, but I had to laugh at your "It's like I got myself into a one-night stand with Jesus." I guess that was sort of where I was heading, but your line was priceless.

Back
Top Bottom