Random Facts and Confessions V7.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still tired. Went for a quick nap at 4pm to be woken at 6.30pm for dinner. :lol: So anyone saying I'm just pretending not to be able to function with these 6.30am morning starts can come over here and tell me that in the face. I'll give you a full taste of my morning mood. :angry:

I'm closing in on 10,000 words but I'm running out of pages for the term paper. Already on page 26 of 25. And still keep scratching on the surface of overfishing.

Listen to your head, it's right. :hug: The first day of course is filled with all kinds of information and everything, and everyone is new etc. But that's just the first day, and then you start working.
Every time I started a new school or university, at the intrduction days they told us so much and I always thought "Ok, two weeks and I'm outta here. I'm not good enough for that stuff. It's just too much." But then you get started and everything gets smoother. With my jobs it was similar.
The getting up early every morning however... :crack: :hug:

big fat buckets of sunshine to you :hug: . . . it always feels like it will take forever to settle in, and no one likes feeling like the nooobie . . . but trust yourself angel . . . you will be fabulous : hug:

:hug: Not crazy at all. Being in a new environment is always a bit scary, but it'll get better in time as you get to know more people.

Thanks all :hug: It is getting better after day 2, though the waking up early and not sleeping well at night is sort of cracking me up already :sigh:

I'm still tired. Went for a quick nap at 4pm to be woken at 6.30pm for dinner. :lol: So anyone saying I'm just pretending not to be able to function with these 6.30am morning starts can come over here and tell me that in the face. I'll give you a full taste of my morning mood. :angry:

I'm taking naps, too :crack: And still feel so damn tired. Meh :grumpy:

I'm closing in on 10,000 words but I'm running out of pages for the term paper. Already on page 26 of 25. And still keep scratching on the surface of overfishing.

Know how that is. So many words but still you have the feeling like you don't grasp it all. But then you look at it differently and somehow it is better than you think. You're doing a great job though, hang in there :hug:

I always doubt and never like my papers. This one is no different. :D
Doesn't help that some professors are eager to read it who don't even grade us.

I always doubt and never like my papers. This one is no different. :D
Doesn't help that some professors are eager to read it who don't even grade us.

I know how you feel, was just trying to help :hug: We're perfectionists at heart, huh? But you'll be fine when you hand it in, I'm 100% sure of that :)

I want to sleep for hours straight. No, make that days. And I wish some people would just get it in their thick heads that the world doesn't evolve around them (they would stare at me right now totally flabbergasted going "Seriously? *gasp* I didn't know that! :ohmy:") Yes, seriously. Get a grip. Show some emotions. Show some sympathy. It's not all take, take, take, you know :|

Oh and on a happier note, I am finally starting to stand up for myself more. No more ms. nice girl. When I don't agree, you'll know it. Only when it's justified, of course, otherwise I'd just be a crabby bitch :wink:

Maybe get someone else to proofread them for you? They can give you some good advice.

Wasn't that what the professors were for? :scratch:

:wink:

It's just a head thing with me. But proofreading would be a good thing in general. We sat there last night from 5.40pm to 1.30am to make the bibliography right, include the figures and everything properly and then proofread each other's parts. We agreed that content-wise it was good as is, just corrected some grammar mistakes and such. Now it's either good, or not. :reject:
It's just such a huge topic, you always feel like there is so much more you need to mention. But then again, you only have so many pages.

Word and Open Office Writer are so annoying. Sometimes the formatting just doesn't work as you want it, and no matter what you try it doesn't get corrected. And then everytime you reopen it it moves things around or some of the formulas get lost. :angry:
At least there is PDF, too. :drool:

Want some hibernation lessons? I really enjoyed sleeping till 2 today, should do that more often! :D

Nice girls are overrated. :wink:

Oh yes please, could use some of those lessons :wink:

And yes, they sure are :sexywink:

Yesterday I had one of those days at work...8:30 am-3 am and then back at 9 am again this morning. Really dragging right now, I feel like I'm 23% awake.

Hope the workload will ease soon for you :hug: Yesterday I forced myself to stay awake during the afternoon, because otherwise a nap would have become a 2 hour long (or more) sleep and I wouldn't be able to sleep at all last night. Though, the staying awake was nearly impossible :crack: My body just wasn't awake and I couldn't do much.

It's just a head thing with me. But proofreading would be a good thing in general. We sat there last night from 5.40pm to 1.30am to make the bibliography right, include the figures and everything properly and then proofread each other's parts. We agreed that content-wise it was good as is, just corrected some grammar mistakes and such. Now it's either good, or not. :reject:
It's just such a huge topic, you always feel like there is so much more you need to mention. But then again, you only have so many pages.

Word and Open Office Writer are so annoying. Sometimes the formatting just doesn't work as you want it, and no matter what you try it doesn't get corrected. And then everytime you reopen it it moves things around or some of the formulas get lost. : angry:
At least there is PDF, too. : drool:

You never do proofreading? All of our teachers always advise us to let the pieces you write be read at least by a few co-students and a few non-students. They dig out so many mistakes or things they don't understand and you then need to clarify a little more, which make papers so much better :up:

You can never span a whole topic. That's just impossible and also the point of a focus :wink: Even though you say you didn't get things the way you wanted 100%, but I'm sure you did a great job still :hug:

Hope the workload will ease soon for you :hug: Yesterday I forced myself to stay awake during the afternoon, because otherwise a nap would have become a 2 hour long (or more) sleep and I wouldn't be able to sleep at all last night. Though, the staying awake was nearly impossible :crack: My body just wasn't awake and I couldn't do much.

Sadly my workload is like this constantly - buuuut I am off to Mexico for a week on the beach at the beginning of March, can't wait!

Naps in the afternoon do that to me too, it's really hard to fall asleep at night afterwards. I try not to let myself sleep more than 90 mins in the afternoons.

You never do proofreading? All of our teachers always advise us to let the pieces you write be read at least by a few co-students and a few non-students. They dig out so many mistakes or things they don't understand and you then need to clarify a little more, which make papers so much better :up:

You can never span a whole topic. That's just impossible and also the point of a focus :wink: Even though you say you didn't get things the way you wanted 100%, but I'm sure you did a great job still :hug:

I think in first semester they adviced us on how to write a term paper, since then they only remind us to check again how to quote etc. in order to prevent plagiarism.
It's not like we don't know about the advantages of proofreading, it's just kinda hard to find someone reading your work the night before you have to hand it in. ;) Though it didn't happen with this paper. :) In the end I just want my professors to understand and like it and then it goes into the archives.
There hasn't been too many people around who spoke English well enough, or they have no clue of the topics, which also makes it harder to find someone who could proofread it and give useful advice (though this has, of course, changed over the years :)).
I'm pretty positive the professors will like the work. They have been very positive thus far, and it should be okay. Gladly, they are no experts on the topic of overfishing, so little mistakes may slip, if there are any. :D

I know about focus and all, but still it's hard to reduce it to just 50 pages. We needed to cover four areas for the paper. But I think we managed well. :)

I think in first semester they adviced us on how to write a term paper, since then they only remind us to check again how to quote etc. in order to prevent plagiarism.
It's not like we don't know about the advantages of proofreading, it's just kinda hard to find someone reading your work the night before you have to hand it in. ;) Though it didn't happen with this paper. :) In the end I just want my professors to understand and like it and then it goes into the archives.
There hasn't been too many people around who spoke English well enough, or they have no clue of the topics, which also makes it harder to find someone who could proofread it and give useful advice (though this has, of course, changed over the years :)).
I'm pretty positive the professors will like the work. They have been very positive thus far, and it should be okay. Gladly, they are no experts on the topic of overfishing, so little mistakes may slip, if there are any. :D

I know about focus and all, but still it's hard to reduce it to just 50 pages. We needed to cover four areas for the paper. But I think we managed well. :)

Hmm that's tough. We're always supposed to write our papers from a readers' perspective, aka with every sentence you write it should be 'readable', even for people who aren't academics. Doesn't mean they have to be experts on the topic, of course they can ask if some things aren't understood well. It's more about judging the 'global' lines of a paper, but of course it depends on what the requirements are of a teacher as to how well someone can do that for you.

Be glad your professors aren't experts on your topic, makes things so much more difficult :crack:

sometimes, just sometimes, I wish I could hit rewind and start mahself from scratch again :doh:

:shifty: . . . < is loving reading all about your uni stuff people . . .:heart: *cue Barbara Streisand and Memories* :laugh:

I think we all have that feeling sometimes. Just remember how to breathe and take things slowly :heart:

Haha cue... :wink:

Hmm that's tough. We're always supposed to write our papers from a readers' perspective, aka with every sentence you write it should be 'readable', even for people who aren't academics. Doesn't mean they have to be experts on the topic, of course they can ask if some things aren't understood well. It's more about judging the 'global' lines of a paper, but of course it depends on what the requirements are of a teacher as to how well someone can do that for you.

Be glad your professors aren't experts on your topic, makes things so much more difficult :crack:

The one exam I wrote it was a requirement. But usually in term papers we may assume to write to a professor who knows his stuff. Which I'm not unhappy about as it's a pain having to explain every term all the time.
It's good they are not into overfishing that much, yes. Our economics professor, who is grading a part, is an expert on China. So you better not write about China, as every mistake will be found. :wink:

The one exam I wrote it was a requirement. But usually in term papers we may assume to write to a professor who knows his stuff. Which I'm not unhappy about as it's a pain having to explain every term all the time.
It's good they are not into overfishing that much, yes. Our economics professor, who is grading a part, is an expert on China. So you better not write about China, as every mistake will be found. :wink:

Not to explain every term all the time, but name in the introduction what are commonly used terms in that specific and what kind of definition you go by using them in that context :)

No, if we are using terms that need more explanation or are ambiguous then we are going to explain it in the text. But else we don't have to. In the introduction we just give a brief overview over our structure and what we want to cover. Kind of an abstract.

Word and Open Office Writer are so annoying. Sometimes the formatting just doesn't work as you want it, and no matter what you try it doesn't get corrected. And then everytime you reopen it it moves things around or some of the formulas get lost. :angry:
At least there is PDF, too. :drool:
:lol:

Well, as MJ said it's adviced here to do it. At highschool I always let my mom proofread my stuff, as she's a primary school teacher and thus knows the Dutch language best. Now it's better to let a fellow student read it as my mom has no clue about chemistry. :lol:

:hug: Well there's only so much you can do, maybe write down the extra things and use it for a future paper?

Oh yes please, could use some of those lessons :wink:

And yes, they sure are :sexywink:

Deal, we just need a bed, a couple of blankets and we're all set. :D Perhaps a bit of food(chinese take out would be best) and water, and a bathroom... but that's all useless extras.

I've never been a 'nice' girly girl, and I never will be. I'm straight to the point, if you annoy me, I'm not gonna fake liking you. There's no point in that, why would I even want to talk to someone I dislike? Though, for professional purposes I can understand, but the amount of people who have fake friends like that? Oh hell no. Not for me.

PR, wanna trade for a year or so? You get me my Chemistry bachelor's degree and I'll work for a year. :D Deal?

Well, as MJ said it's adviced here to do it. At highschool I always let my mom proofread my stuff, as she's a primary school teacher and thus knows the Dutch language best. Now it's better to let a fellow student read it as my mom has no clue about chemistry. :lol:

:hug: Well there's only so much you can do, maybe write down the extra things and use it for a future paper?

Sometimes it's pretty ridiculous that we have to fear our professors might not understand our English as they are Germans who seem to just recently have learnt English in a weekend course in order to be able to teach the required English classes.
But most professors at least are quite fluent when it comes to reading, so in this case e.g. I don't worry about that too much.
As I said, in first semester they gave out advice, now they only remind us not to screw up on quotation to avoid a 5D for plagiarism. Which I find ok because we are old enough to know for ourselves and shouldn't need to be reminded what we have to do all the time. If we do it then or not is our problem. :D

This paper is being graded by two professors. The main professor for the paper already suggested to us (felt more like urging us to do so) that we could write a bachelor thesis about it with her. There is about a hundred things or more in it you could write a thesis about. I just fear having to write a chapter about the different types of fishing trawlers and fishing gear which would have to be covered in most cases. :D

Deal, we just need a bed, a couple of blankets and we're all set. :D Perhaps a bit of food(chinese take out would be best) and water, and a bathroom... but that's all useless extras.

Oh, I see long nights ahead come August. :uhoh:

I've never been a 'nice' girly girl, and I never will be. I'm straight to the point, if you annoy me, I'm not gonna fake liking you. There's no point in that, why would I even want to talk to someone I dislike? Though, for professional purposes I can understand, but the amount of people who have fake friends like that? Oh hell no. Not for me.

No Chinese for me, but otherwise I'm fine :wink:

Oh no, it's not that I faked liking people, I usually ignore people I really don't like, but it's more like I was sort of too shy to say if stuff bothered me or not or just didn't speak up enough. So that's changing :) But yeah, fake people are the worst ones around. I hate fake people :angry: All those persons who have oh so many countless friends, yeah right :rolleyes:

Oh, I see long nights ahead come August. :uhoh:

I need to know some self-defense techniques, don't I? ;)

Sometimes it's pretty ridiculous that we have to fear our professors might not understand our English as they are Germans who seem to just recently have learnt English in a weekend course in order to be able to teach the required English classes.
But most professors at least are quite fluent when it comes to reading, so in this case e.g. I don't worry about that too much.

over here it's exactly the opposite. all our are teachers are from the US and the french students, well let's say they are not that good at english. muaaah. sometimes I think they're just throwing in random english words they know and it's really hard to understand their accent, believe me.

random:
i'm sick, this 30p. paper about democracy in france, finance internationale homework, i failed an exam, my grandmother is not doing well......and i just wanna hang out at the louvre or something.
:huh:

Our school is not prestigious enough to attract too many Professors from abroad. Adding to that, pay is not that great compared to some other countries, and Hochschulen don't provide Professors with an assistant etc. So we are stuck with German professors who, although very good at what they do, are having trouble to teach in English. And we students complain because we want more native speakers. It's quite a difference whether the Professor in front is 'save' in the language he speaks or not.

Many of my co-students aren't too great either. There is a great discrepancy. Some are not good at languages, or have been out of school for quite a while and never talked that language in the meantime, and start pretty much anew (especially difficult for East Germans who are a little older and pretty much only learnt Russian), while others are very good, almost native.

Oh, that's quite some things at once. Hope all will go well for your grandmother!

What's annoying is when you write with other people and everyone cites differently and in the end you have to agree on one way and then make everything look the same.
And citing sources makes you progress slower. :D

You know how many standards exist? It's ridiculous. And then we can decide whether to use American citation, i.e. in the text, or German, which means in the footnote. Are you using , or :, do you shorten the first name, do you put title or author in italics....
The uni doesn't give one standard. We have a reader which tells you how not to do it, but there is no universal rule applied as how to exactly do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom