Questions about relationships...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i hit a dead end recently, with one, it doesnt matter about ... whatever, but i have a question:

my relationship was never going anywhere as the person was too similar to me. we wouldve made a terrible couple just agreeing on each other. its like looking into a mirror... that would have got boring

on the flipside ive been talking to people who have been telling me about troubles in their relationships in their partner has been getting off beating them up. yet they stay together. it seems that the relationship works because they ARE different. and it looks like they seem to thrive on the idea of living on a day-to-day basis

'all this' sure makes people want to marry jesus

I don't think that the "flipside" of being with someone very similar to oneself is being with someone who beats you up. I really don't think there is a comparison to draw between the two, so I don't think you should factor in that component.

There are pros and cons to being with someone similar to oneself...the same goes for being with someone different. I think a relationship can work either way, but there are just so many more factors. It's not just a black and white issue where someone can say, "Yes, it's definitely better to be with someone not like yourself," or, "Yes, it's definitely better to be with someone who is like yourself." It's not that easy.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having relationship troubles though. I hope you are able to work things out.

On the flipside of being in a relationship is spending time being alone. That doesn't necessarily mean being "lonely". It's OK to be alone. If there are things you need to take some time to heal yourself about then by all means take the time to do wo. When you know and are tru to yourself you are healthy enough for a relationship. Relationships are give and take and I don't think should be day to day. They take work and nurturing, not beating one another up either emotionally or physically. I think too many people in this world feel they HAVE to be in a relationship to be happy or to be whole.

I hope you work things out. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom