Question concerning why I'm not considering attractive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danospano

Refugee
Question: Why don't women find bald men attractive? Just curious...Also, why don't men find fat girls attractive? I know that some people find them attractive, but most don't. Why is that?

Let's see how honest you are....

i think a lot of women find bald men attractive

i mean look at the pleba girls drool over edge

and i guess women like fat guys too

i mean look at the pleba girls drool over bono

that was a joke!!!! settle down, sheesh

everybody has their own preferences, but i think most have been swayed by what society has taught us what is attractive and not

Yeah they're are exceptions. I can think of a lot of celebrities who break the mold, but they're also famous, wealthy personalities.

I tend to agree that most people are attracted to what they're told is attractive. My question then is WHY are they told that certain "types" are more attractive?

thats a good question

like who decided that skinny people are attractive while overweight people arent

i wonder if it goes all the way back to caveman days

like, a caveman would carry a woman over his shoulder into his cave, so maybe they preferred the skinnier girls because they would be easier to carry

and thus, they were more attractive to the cavemen

who knows

I'm attracted to every woman who thinks I'm attractive

a vicious circle that gets me nowhere

I'm pretty though :up:

A lot of factors go into why you think someone is attractive, but biology is the foundation. Men are attracted to women who physically look healthy enough to give birth to good offspring. Breasts and hips and youth are big factors for that reason. Women are attracted to men who look like they will provide long term care for her and her offspring. Thus men who are older (maybe even bald) and wealthier are more attractive to women--they have shown that they are smart and wily enough to live a long time and that they have the resources to provide for a family.

After biology, lots of factors come into play. But the biological side helps define, on the most basic level, why certain traits are almost universally considered 'attractive.'

I read too much Discover magazine, I think. :D

or you have watched too much Animal Planet :D

(I should admit that I've heard the same research results though)

HeartlandGirl said:
A lot of factors go into why you think someone is attractive, but biology is the foundation. Men are attracted to women who physically look healthy enough to give birth to good offspring. Breasts and hips and youth are big factors for that reason. Women are attracted to men who look like they will provide long term care for her and her offspring. Thus men who are older (maybe even bald) and wealthier are more attractive to women--they have shown that they are smart and wily enough to live a long time and that they have the resources to provide for a family.

This is true but I assume these 'reguirements' have changed and are still changing through time. Nowadays, women can (and are allowed to) take care of themselves, and medical standards are high enough for a childbirthing-hipless woman to be able to safely get children (at least, in the western world).

It will be interesting to see how biology will respond to these prediminantly social revolutions such as the decrease in importance of well-defined genderroles.

Chizip said:
thats a good question

like who decided that skinny people are attractive while overweight people arent

i wonder if it goes all the way back to caveman days

like, a caveman would carry a woman over his shoulder into his cave, so maybe they preferred the skinnier girls because they would be easier to carry

and thus, they were more attractive to the cavemen

who knows

your attempt at a stupid, witty, sarcastic remark has provided us with the most ingenious insight into the social behavior of homosapians since freud... the science world thanks you

Last edited:
my name is george. i'm bald, i have no job and i live with my parents.

george2.jpg

DrTeeth said:

This is true but I assume these 'reguirements' have changed and are still changing through time. Nowadays, women can (and are allowed to) take care of themselves, and medical standards are high enough for a childbirthing-hipless woman to be able to safely get children (at least, in the western world).

It will be interesting to see how biology will respond to these prediminantly social revolutions such as the decrease in importance of well-defined genderroles.

It takes thousands and thousands of years for such innate biological functions to become obsolete and disappear from the gene pool. One example is the fight or flight response. The way our brains react to severe trauma is another. I would venture to guess that women have only had the opportunity for financial freedom for less than two hundred years or so. And as you say, the western world is a much different scenario from the rest of the planet. These biological functions probably won't be going away any time soon, but like I said, a lot of other factors can override our biological urges so that we find different people attractive for different reasons. Biology will no doubt change with the blurring of gender roles, but it will take a long long time.

My fiance has a friend that's bald but he makes it up with personality...he's the funnest person to be around and he's short as hell too!!! But if I weren't with my fiance i'd be attracted to him...he's a huge flirt too! so I think it depends on the person's personality as well as looks :)

And of course i'm taller than my fiance...i'm 6'0" and he's like 5'9" but that doesn't matter :)

Mr. BAW is voluntarily-bald...I choose to cut it off with a Zero blade every two weeks... matter of fact, I seem to be growing more hair than ever!

Re: FAT...

I have and still do appreciate a full-size woman; full-figure and/or
Rubenesque-sized woman...nothing wrong with it at all..

Matter of fact, it was I who bought Mode magazine when it first came out....nothing wrong with Elle'.

Your friend no matter what size,

Mr. BaldAW

I think it depends on our emotional needs too, and sometimes we choose people that are quite different from us. A friend of mine made me notice that I like men who are bigger than me, maybe because I have an unconscious need of protection,in fact, I look very fragile (I'm just 1.60 mts). My ex is taller and he is fat, he is like a big teddy bear, and we looked like Homer and Marge together. I don't like skinny guys they dont seem very "hugeable" I guess.

I think what we look for in a mate (the non-australian meaning of the word) are qualities we ourselves don't have but admire and therefor want to have. Maybe we date who we want to be :hmm:

This hasn't got much to do with baldness etc. :wink:

I've been here for three years and only now I crossed the 2000 posts line. How do some of you with 10000+ posts do it? :huh:

As for what is "attractive," most of it is a cultural construct. During the Renaissance, attractive men were fat, pale, and dressed with plenty of wigs, ruffles and pantyhose. :sexywink: It has everything to do with what a culture values the most. For the Renaissance, it was wealth. To be fat, it meant you were wealthy enough to eat good food. To be pale, it meant that you were wealthy enough to not have to perform manual labor like the working class did. And the "wigs, ruffles and pantyhose"? Again, it was to show that you were wealthy enough to wear fine garments; the working class wore full-length pants.

All of that changed slowly, as the working classes rose up and overthrew the imperial autocracies. The first thing to go was the clothing, then the fatness. Paleness didn't go out of fashion until the 1930s; up to then, women would often slip some arsenic into their tea, as it would make them whiter.

As we can see today, the aristocratic values of attractiveness have been replaced by what was once considered plebeian.

Melon

Mullen-Girl said:
he's short as hell too!!!
you're also like 8'6" so you're not one to talk! :wink:

as for what i find attractive in a man, i honestly don't know. i can't pinpoint anything, except maybe i find i tend to go towards the blonde hair blue eyes type, mayhaps because i wish i had that. :flirt: but then there's john taylor, who's got brown hair and brown eyes, and used to be a dork. and my husband has been told he looks like ian curtis, the lead singer of joy division. :shrug:

Bald men are ok. Bald men who want to cover their bald spot by bringing hair from the back to the front, or from one side to the other, NOT. :down: Don't they realize how ridiculous that looks?

Also, what we are made to think that people are attracted to and what people are attracted to may not be the same thing. I think the media has something to do with that too. Does that make any sense? :huh:

Last edited:
flaming june said:
Bald men are ok. Bald men who want to cover their bald spot by bringing hair from the back to the front, or from one side to the other, NOT. :down: Don't they realize how ridiculous that looks?

:yes: I agree.

For me, personality is the key. Which is why none of my relationships have been successful ... :p

If you define attractiveness by having hair (for men) and being skinny (for women) then I'd suggest that the world's population would grind to a halt. The truth is that there are a lot more people who AREN'T like that, and they still manage to get married or otherwise be happy with someone.

Back
Top Bottom