Professional Betrayal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
This isn't really a "typical" confession - more of a rant about what recently happened to me.

As some of you may know, I am scientist. From 2000 to early this year, I worked at a place I'll call Company A. While at Company A, I interacted a lot with Company B. We used their instruments and products extensively in our research. Unfortunately, we had quite a bit of difficulty with their products, but I kept a very courteous and professional relationship with that company. I enjoyed interacting with the people at Company B and felt that perhaps one day in the future, I might even want to work for them.

Early this year, I left Company A to join Company C. Company A was very sad to see me leave as my work there had been quite successful. I left for a wide array of both professional and personal reasons - one main one being the fact that I did not feel this company was truly committed to their work - but I left on very good terms. Six months later, Company A still contacts me asking for my advice and they have recently offered to make me a consultant.

Sadly, my new position at Company C is not working out. The position that was described to me during my interview is not even close to the actual position I am doing. As such, I have once again started hunting for a new position. I learned of an opening at Company B and was elated.

Having several colleagues at Company B, I asked if one wouldn't mind talking to the hiring manager for me. This woman, to my face, seemed to be a strong supporter of me. She empathized with the difficulties I had at Company A and profusely apologized for the problems I had with their instruments and products. She also stated that if I was looking for a position at her company, I should not hesitate to give her a call.

Well, one such position opened up. I was elated! Here was a chance for me to do the work I love at a company that seemed committed to the work. I appeared to be a near perfect match for this position, and, having a person "on the inside" to support me, I felt certain that I would at least get an interview if not an actual offer shortly thereafter.

Just yesterday, I found out that the hiring manager at Company B has decided NOT to pursue me based on his conversation with this female colleague that I just mentioned. I am stunned. Apparently, despite her glowing words to my face and through e-mail, when the opportunity came, she gave me a VERY poor referral.

I have never received a bad referral in my life. For this woman to disparage my scientific credibility is unforgiveable. I just sent her an e-mail asking, in the most professional manner possible, why she said what she did. When and if I hear from her, I may update this thread.

The irony is that almost exactly one year ago, Company B was heavily pursuing me to give a talk at a conference. They were willing to pay all of my travel expenses and list me as a "highlight speaker." This company also used my name when they recently visited my new place of employment (Company C). In fact, it was because of my recommendation - despite the probelms I had with their instruments and products - that they even got in the door. And, as I wrote above, this female colleague at Company B recently sent an e-mail stating that if I was interested in a position in her area, I should feel free to contact her. Yet, now, when it the opportunity came for me to actually work for this company, my name is disparaged and I am told that they are not interested. It seems that they are happy to use me as an "unpaid salesman" but nothing more.

I await to hear from this woman so that she has the opportunity to express herself. There is a slight chance that the hiring manager was grossly misinterpreting her words and an egregious error occurred - hence, I will give her this temporary benefit of the doubt. Still, for her sake, I hope her reasoning is solid. Otherwise, she will lose the business of my former company (as I still do consultant work for them) and the business of my current company. Additionally, I know several people VERY high in Company B and I will not hesitate to contact them expressing my discontent with this woman and their company. I do not tolerate this type of unprofessionalism and two-faced attitude well amongst my peers. :angry:

Bleh, that sucks :\
People who do that kind of thing to screw other people over and further their own carreers deserve to be shot for being inhumane, and yes i realise the irony in inhumanely shooting someone for being inhumane, its a nice steaming hot cup of some mm mm good poetic justice for them. Hey, Ill talk to the boss. He sucks, dont hire him. POW!!! ... heh heh heh...

Im just a little aggrevated cuz i had to go to the dentist this morning, I by no means condone shooting someone...

Dentist: Hmm your gums are bleeding, maybe you should floss more.
Me: Alright
Me *thinking*: Ya know, my gums wouldnt bleed half as much if you didnt stab them repeatedly with your +1/+1 dental forks of impaling...

Dentist: Here, let me show you how to floss.
Me: Whatever.
Me *thinking*: Its not that I dont know how to floss, its just its a pain in the ass, and no matter how much I do floss youre just going to gouge my gums with your sharp pointy instruments of blood-letting anyway, so how about you dont waste my time.

Flossing makes my gums bleed.

I hate how dentists are always like, "Don't brush your teeth TOO much. It takes the enamel off your teeth!" And then they scratch the hell out of them with A METAL OBJECT. WTF??

doctorwho said:
Apparently, despite her glowing words to my face and through e-mail, when the opportunity came, she gave me a VERY poor referral.

I have never received a bad referral in my life. For this woman to disparage my scientific credibility is unforgiveable. I just sent her an e-mail asking, in the most professional manner possible, why she said what she did. When and if I hear from her, I may update this thread.

Sorry to read this Dr. Who, what a mess. Knowing you the way I do, I'm sure you verified the information you received regarding what this woman said, but still I wonder how you know she gave you a poor referral.

I'm curious if she's replied and what she said. Either way, I'm sure that in the long run your work will prove your credibility.

Hope this all gets sorted out soon.

I too have been disappointed in alot of 2faced folk.
Chin up John..look at this as bump in the road that will refine yourself in the bigger picture.:)

Dave.
:idea::dance: :cool:

Re: Re: Professional Betrayal

Like O2 said:

Sorry to read this Dr. Who, what a mess. Knowing you the way I do, I'm sure you verified the information you received regarding what this woman said, but still I wonder how you know she gave you a poor referral.

I'm curious if she's replied and what she said. Either way, I'm sure that in the long run your work will prove your credibility.

Hope this all gets sorted out soon.

Recall that I stated how I wanted to give my colleague a chance to explain herself in case there was a mistake? Well, according to her, there was. The hiring manager mentioned my colleague BY NAME as giving the bad referral and because of this, he was not interested. However, my colleague stated she has NOT spoken to him in months!!

Therefore, clearly someone is lying. I trust this woman - hence why I referred the hiring manager to her. Recall, she stated that if I ever wanted a job in her area, I should just give her a call. Clearly there is an extreme amount of mutual respect. When she told me that she had NOT given me a bad referral, I profusely apologized for stating that she did - but then also stated I was told that she was mentioned specifically as doing so.

Therefore, either the hiring manager inexplicably is dismissing me and using a horrible lie to cover his tracks, the recruiter is lying to me for some bizarre reason, or this colleague, despite her claims otherwise, has perhaps inadvertently insulted me.

Regardless, something sure is strange here. I told this to my colleague and to the recruiter. Perhaps they can find out some information. Most bizarre...

Dr Who
Im here to write you a nice letter of recomendation:sexywink: :dance: :banghead: :cool:
Just gimme the word;)
Plez advise.:cool:
db9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom