Please, I need someone to help me. I has to do with religion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
Looking around this board, you guys seem to be a very compassionate, mature and non-judgmental kind of people…which is why I really need anybody’s help with the matter in which I’m stuck in. It has to do with religion. Before you read this post, I must say that I have profound RESPECT for ALL religions, and I don’t consider any one of them as “wrong”. By the way, I’m an Agnostic, and still am in a sense. I must warn you, this post might be a bit long…

Anyway, it all started last year with two of my best friends. Their twins, and the year before, almost completely out of the blue, they became heavily involved in Christianity. It came to an extent where you could call them born again Christians. This surprised many people in my friendship circle as these guys never expressed any interest in religion of spirituality at all. Now suddenly one of them is carrying their Bible in their pocket all day.

Now, let me just say that I see NOTHING WRONG at all with their strong beliefs in Christianity. My problems began much later.

It turns out that this sudden turn around in Christianity was all attributed a local Christian youth group in which they attended. Australian Interferencer’s would recognize the name Hillsong. Basically, Hillsong, and the sudden surge of the Pentecostal movement, has really gained momentum in Australia, and how they practice their Christian views is quite unique: instead of a priest reading through the Bible and various ceremonial procedures, Hillsong employs Christian rock bands to perform high energy worship music, and instead of a priest, a pastor (usually someone in their mid-twenty’s) would preach a sermon in an entertaining but thoughtful way. As a result, Hillsong became highly popular with young people.

Anyway, my friends introduced me to this youth group. It started well enough: the other youth’s there were really friendly people, and they welcomed me with open arms and I very much enjoyed their company. When it was time to start the Christian youth program, I was at first impressed with the way they worship: Christian worship bands and then a really good sermon by the senior youth pastor which as entertaining, funny but also deeply spiritual at the same time. I have never seen religion preached in such an entertaining and accessible away, and I was immediately swayed.

Things went well until a few months after I was introduced into the youth group. The senior pastor began to preach things which received admiration from other youths, but silent questioning by me. I began to have serious doubts when the pastor preached “YOU MUST BE SAVAGE, BARBARIC AND BRUTAL WITH YOUR FAITH! SPREAD THE WORD AND CONVERT!” It almost borders on fanaticism in my view.

It goes further. The pastor continued by saying “Buddha isn’t worthy, Mohammed isn’t worthy, Confucius isn’t worthy, you are worthy lord!” When I was introduced to this youth group, I thought it would be a more “liberal” brand of Christianity, a wonderful alternative to the likes of Jerry Falwell, but I didn’t think they would start bagging other religions.

Worse still, the pastor continued by saying that those who don’t accept Jesus Christ, and those who don’t accept the Christian religion, will for ever suffer eternal damnation.

Here is one of my main reasons why this has troubled me. My dad died of liver cancer back in January 2001. When he passed away, we performed a Buddhist ceremony at his funeral (my families Vietnamese, and Buddhism is the dominant religion). Even though my family goes through Buddhist ceremonies in key events (eg. Weddings, Chinese New Year, funerals etc), my family isn’t that religious so we’re pretty much agnostic. My dad is an agnostic also. So anyway, after I heard the pastor preaching about non-Christians going to hell, I went home incredibly disturbed by this idea. My dad wasn’t Christian. He didn’t “accept Jesus Christ”. And since he’s non-Christian, I had this nightmare where……………………..oh jeez, I don’t want to think about it. I think you pretty much get the picture. I was not only disturbed but horrified and incredibly offended by the idea.

Today, after the youth service, I approached my senior pastor and asked him about his views of other religions. He acknowledged that it is hard to accept this view, but he states that he has studied other religions, and he concluded that Christianity is the only way. He told me that Jesus was devastated that humans would “break away” from him and start creating new and alien ideas. He basically told me that Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism is flat out wrong and that the only doorway to salvation is through Jesus Christ. I also told him I would like to do humanitarian work in the future (ie. Helping starving African nations to their feet). He was thrilled with the ambition I have, but he told me that giving them food and blankets is not enough, they need Christ in their life in order to properly “save them”. In my mind, I was thinking “why should a push a religion down the throat of starving people?” I walked away with no new answers. I did not tell him about the nightmare I had about me dad.

Ok, some people might ask “why don’t you just quit the youth group if it disturbs you so much?” Well, it’s hard for me to explain, but I have made great friendships with many wonderful people in the youth group. I mean, the people here are great, except many of them share the views of the pastor. Heck, apart from the difference I have of his religious reviews, the senior youth pastor is a fantastic guy. I don’t want to lose these friendships, and if I do quit, the pastor would view me as someone who has pushed away Jesus Christ and is heading down a “dangerous path”. I would also be cutting off the friendships in which I have made.

So that’s what’s been playing on my mind. Personally, I feel a deeper connection of eastern religions (Buddhism, etc), religions which would “bar me from the gates of heaven” according to my youth pastor, but I just gave this youth group a try.

This experience has placed me in a “religious crossroads”, the first time ever in my life. If you any users would like to reply to the dilemma I have right now, please do. I also strongly encourage any other religious Interferencers to comment of whether there are any right or wrong religions and most importantly of all, what truly warrants such a horrifying sentence such as eternal damnation in hell and any other views on spirituality. What I be curse into hell if I "divert from the path of Jesus Christ"? I'm sorry I that I must suddely dump all of this onto you guys, but I really need to get it off my chest and talk to it about someone.

Please reply without any judgment or prejudices.

Last edited:
This is just me talking and I'm no theologian, but I find it very contrary to the Christian spirit to tell a grieving person that one of their loved ones is burning in hell. I am a Christian, but I believe that it's up to God (and only God) to judge what happens to people after death--and I don't pretend to know how or why that happens.

As for your friendships and your membership with the group, that's a personal call you'll have to make--if you can continue to feel comfortable, safe, and accepted around people whose beliefs differ radically from yours. Some people can do it, some people can't.

I believe, Halifax, at any rate, that God loves you, and loves your father as well. And I don't believe that God wants to see you in such pain and agony. If you're interested in learning more about Christianity and investigating the Bible and such, I'd definitely encourage that, but not at the cost of your peace of mind. Maybe find a different church or pastor with which to get involved.

:hug: These are all good questions you're asking. I just hope you know that God really does love you, just as you are right now, and has a good plan for you.

I'll give you my two cents:

Run away from this "Christian" group. These kinds of Christians prey on those who are vulnerable, and the irony is that such absolute, bombastic answers actually have a lot of appeal, contrary to what many might believe. Rather than coming across as "intolerant" (which is what I think it is), the appeal is that it gives simple, direct, and absolute answers to a complex world. And it doesn't matter if the answers are correct; no, it just matters that they have "answers."

But no matter how they reduce the world to a black-and-white world and such simplicity might appeal to you, they are not the answer. Run, don't walk away from these people. They do not hold the key to salvation; only God does. And amidst their judgmentalism, they are actually forgetting a very important part of the Gospels:

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

I'm always concerned about these kinds of Christians, because first, it starts out as black-and-white answers to moral questions. Then, after they've got you in there for a while, they'll start telling you that you have to abandon all friends and family that don't agree with you or they'll start telling you how you have to vote in elections, etc. I find this to be a very slippery and dangerous slope when they start dictating to people how they must think.

Now as to whether you want to become a Christian, go right ahead. But there are better, more rational Christian denominations out there. Or go out and tackle Christianity on your own with self-study. That's what I've done, since I don't think any Christian denomination is correct.

Regardless, don't think you have to settle with the most fanatical and scary Christian denomination, just because your friends did or just because they come across with such certainty.

As they said in Star Wars, Episode III:

"Only the Sith think in absolutes." :sexywink:

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

Run, don't walk away from these people.

Melon

Exactly what I was going to say.

You say you feel more connected to Eastern religions anyway so why try to make this Christian group work just because they are applying peer pressure and because you like some of the people? If they are truly friends they will respect your decision whether you choose to stay agnostic, whether you choose to delve deeper into the religion that your family practices, or whether you choose to pursue Christianity further through another church. My guess is, they won't.

Good luck.

I would hope the Truth is not lost on the methodologies used by this group.

Must you run away from this group? No.

Must you believe everything the pastor says? No.

Your highest and best source of Truth is the Bible. You can read it for yourself. But don't try to do it completely alone. God wants us to work together. Ask questions. Keep asking questions. Growing in faith takes more work than simply accepting faith.

Some may not like absolutes - but Jesus Christ himself spoke in absolutes.

nbcrusader said:
Some may not like absolutes - but Jesus Christ himself spoke in absolutes.

Sure, absolutes are comforting, but in this case, I believe those "absolutes" are in the realm of "false prophetry." In other words, merely having strong, absolute stances does not mean that they are correct. I think the Bush Administration had best learn that lesson, but that's for another debate.

Melon

I agree with melon and Joyfulgirl, this is not a good group of people no matter how "nice" they initially seem. To me they are quite cultish and should be avoided, even if you have to lose friendships. If they can't accept you the way you are, they are not your friends.

I'm agnostic, but have given religion/faith/belief lots of thought. And one idea keeps coming up -- if there is a god (or gods), do you really think he/she/it could only come up with one way of reaching salvation? If a god either created people or allowed the events to happen to create people, and is powerful enough to doom one to hell or reward one with heaven, don't you think that god would be powerful and intelligent enough to make various religions/belief systems that would appeal and comfort all his/her/it's creations?

To me the "my way or the highway" mentality of many religions/sects isn't at all god-like, but rather man-made. Why man-made you may ask? Because only man need to control people in such a way (and lets face it most organised religious groups, ie., churches, are cash cows), a god, especially a loving and powerful god, doesn't need this kind of theatrics.

^

What I posted is not prejudice, it's the truth. You can post your truth, so why not allow the same of others? :eyebrow:

To me, religion is a state of mind and something which you create to gain peace within yourself. You don't have to be part of these organized groups to feel close to your god, whoever he/she may be. :)

I would like to thank everybody for their responses. U2 fans are truly great people :D I'm actually on the verge on breaking away from this youth group, so I guess I should pack my bags and just run away.

Melon is correct. The view of the world they present is indeed black and white (ie. "you either choose the path of god or the path of Satan"). Do they honestly think life is that simple? I guess I could understand why people would subsribe to that view. The world is an extremely complex place and this brand of religion gives strait forward, easy answers. I guess some people can't accept grey. Personally, I accept that the world is indeed grey and the view of "picking the path of Satan or god" does not hold light in todays complex society.

Thank you indra for your reply also. Like you, I'm also an agnostic with a deep interest in spirituality. I also get put off by the "my way or the highway" mentality, and I guess this youth group is the last straw. To start to demonize or debunk other faiths speaks volumes about the "tolerence" these people have. Its also the exact same recipe for whole armies to wage wars against another all "in the name of god".

Thank you also pax for your reply. Whether there is an aftelife or not, I dearly hope my dad is up in heaven, smiling down at me.

I guess I should really break away from this youth group. If that can't accept my views on spirituality, then I guess its their problem to deal with, not mine.

Hillsong have a cult-like reputation. The problem I see with them is not their actual views, per se, but how they practice them. My knowledge of them is only from (limited) negative publicity, so I can't comment too much without judgement on them which you do not want. So all I can say is you seem entirely unhappy with the way the movement is run, so therein lies your answer.

:hug:

Halifax said:
I also told him I would like to do humanitarian work in the future (ie. Helping starving African nations to their feet). He was thrilled with the ambition I have, but he told me that giving them food and blankets is not enough, they need Christ in their life in order to properly “save them”. In my mind, I was thinking “why should a push a religion down the throat of starving people?” I walked away with no new answers. I did not tell him about the nightmare I had about me dad.

What I be curse into hell if I "divert from the path of Jesus Christ"? I'm sorry I that I must suddely dump all of this onto you guys, but I really need to get it off my chest and talk to it about someone.

Please reply without any judgment or prejudices.

First of all...Jesus befriended all the 'down and outters' of his day. The poor and the sick...He treated them with love and made friendships with them, as well as help. He didn't demand a confession of faith before helping or creating a relationship. Follow his example rather than any man's. (I think it's wonderful what you want to do. I personally have refused church sponsored trips to Africa simply because I do not want anyone to feel that they HAVE to believe in anything because they fear they won't get aid otherwise)

I don't feel your father has been damned. Not for a second. :hug::hug:

You can believe in God or Jesus. You don't have to believe what someone tells you about them if it seems contradictory to what your understanding of them is. If you have an uncomfortable feeling, then maybe that's God's way of telling you that you need to look for spiritual community elsewhere. Regardless, please don't let any bad experiences with other people influence how you may feel about the possibility of God...people are imperfect .

Look to yourself--the answer you're looking for is already there.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Which state do you physically live in? Im guessing NSW. Theres a huge Buddhist temple down Wollongong way. Dunno if they have a youth group. You could ask. Is your Mum open and available for you to ask questions?

There are other Christian youth groups as well. I notice you are a student. Are you a Uni student? Have you contacted Student Services and asked for the contact details of some local youth groups?

Ultimately you are the only one that can judge which religion/denomination suits you best. Go with your feelings. If you are getting bad vibes, leave and go somewhere else and keep doing so until you find somewhere that clicks with you.

As for your father, if the only people who get to heaven are Christians, and specific ones at that, then hell is going to be pretty crowded. 33% of the worlds population are Christians. That means 67% are not Christian and have not "accepted Jesus Christ". Do all these people go to hell ?

I wish you all the best in finding a youth group that suits your temperament, ideals,and ethics.

This is a really interesting thread. :up:

I agree with what's already been said, that if these beliefs are not for you, you should not feel pressured into attending this group. Your friends in the group should respect your views and decisions, and if they don't, well (cliche alert!) they aren't very good friends.

Personally, I'm friends with a lot of Christians ranging from the very generally "tolerant" to people who fit the description of this group you are/were in. My closest friend is in a very liberal, accepting church---the church I would be in if I were Christian. However, I have several other friends who seem to have very fundamentalist views on things like homosexuality and getting into Heaven, from what I've picked up. I have friends who I'm pretty sure think I'm going to Hell. But it never poses a problem, because frankly, we don't talk about religion.

That was kind of pointless rambling, but I guess I'm saying you can be friends with people who have, ahem, different views without it posing much a problem. I can understand how it'd be more difficult in your case obviously, since your connection to these people is through the very group causing the problem.

I also consider myself an agnostic, and I'm also very interested in spirituality, so I can understand your conflict. I'm actually really interested in eastern religions lately. There's something peaceful and less concrete about many of them that I like.

I think its a good thing that you're searching within yourself to find a truth.
It seems that God has instilled a natural seeking device in humans to look for truth :wink:

I was raised in a Christian home and had to go away for a while and find my own way.
During that time the thing that made the most sense to me was agnosticism. But for some reason it just didnt do it for me.....
I made my way back to the Christian church.
What Im saying is that you wont develop a real faith in anything unless you decide completely on your own to follow that path.

I was really blessed to have a church that is accepting of people wherever they might be coming from. Its a Vineyard Christian Fellowship.
I couldnt imagine being at a church where you have things shoved down your throat fanatically. Fanaticism turns me off terribly.
If you follow actual Christian doctrine youre supposed to be a loving and gentle person, and I dont think that forcing yourself on other people is doing that very well.
Living by example seems a louder voice to me than actual yelling :huh:
I believe Im rambling :reject:
I just want to offer you encouragement to avidly seek truth :up:

u2bonogirl said:
If you follow actual Christian doctrine youre supposed to be a loving and gentle person, and I dont think that forcing yourself on other people is doing that very well.
Living by example seems a louder voice to me than actual yelling :huh:
I believe Im rambling :reject:
I just want to offer you encouragement to avidly seek truth :up:

:up: to what Tara said

Don't give up on religion in general, or on Christianity in particular, because of this experience. I think beli's suggestion was a good one--if you're interested in continuing to explore Christianity, try to find a group or denomination in which you feel more comfortable and accepted. That really should happen in any Christian group, but just as Islam and Buddhism and Judaism and such come in different denominations with different emphases and ways of life, so does Christianity. Keep looking, and at the risk of sounding totally hokey, God really does love you. God wants to be with you.

I'd leave this group *now* and not later. They seem to be fundamentalists, and it's clear from your post that fundamentalism isn't your bag. Fundamentalists do believe that all non-Christians are going to hell. I live in the U.S. Bible Belt, and I hear this all the time, I read it in the newspapers, etc, etc. I'm a practicing Catholic, and I believe that it's up to God to decide about salvation, not me. I don't know any more about salvation than a street urchin.

It should be noted for the non-Australians in here that the Hillsongs church is very controversial here in Sydney.

It is an all singing, all dancing church aimed at youth. Their services are basically all out rock concerts with a speech at the end. Not something uncommon today, except that there's the sinister undercurrent that this may in fact be all about money.

They play heavily on politics. Local and national. Something that a lot of people believe any church or religion should stay well and truly clear of.

There have been fraud charges brought against them several times. Sometimes found guilty, sometimes not.

They are very heavy on the "give money" thing, and the guilt that comes if you don't. Very heavy. The head pastor even published a book about how it was essential for a good Christian to be as wealthy as they possibly can - and give it to the church. Their church. They are also based in what is a relatively wealthy part of Sydney, often referred to as the "bible belt".

They are a massive commercial enterprise. CD's, books, etc etc. And they are famous for chasing after other churches for licensing/royalties should they broadcast any of their cd's or even have their own church bands play any of 'their' songs. Technicaly within their rights, but the way they go about it certainly seems to go against the spirit of the whole thing, and again makes people think that the bottom line is business.

A little known fact is that the church actually owns the Australian licence for the Gloria Jeans Coffee chain. A church using, I guess, 'modern' ways to invest it's money, make a healthy return and use it for good uses is okay with me - except there are serious questions being asked about where the money earned from the coffee chain is going. ie there is plenty of evidence that it gets pumped through the church, but no evidence that it is being spent on anything related to the church. The suggestion of course is that the Coffee Chain ownership is simply a great way to make a tax free truckload of money.

I'm actually very interested in going and checking out a night there first hand. I would suggest though that there are too many fingers being pointed at the top of the church, and that many of their congregation are being taken for a ride. They would like you to believe that Hillsongs is the way, the truth and the light and no-one else is. Please stick around and continue to give them money.

The ownership of Gloria Jeans Australia isn't registered as Hillsong Pty Ltd. It's owned under another business name, which is a partnership of all the Hillsong board members (and founding members) who aren't actually a pastor or anything. It's the same business partnership which operates a lot of the vast Hillsong business empire (such as their latest venture - ringtone downloads) and due to that, they get the tax breaks that all churches get (tax break = no tax). They *should* be keeping the Gloria Jeans money very, very seperate from the Hillsong money, and may very well be, but they are very shady about the whole thing and no-one formally from either side will answer whether they are paying tax on Gloria Jeans money, and if not, can they prove that it is going directly into the church and not the directors pockets. They are allowed to operate this way without anyone asking questions because of their political pull, and we've all seen people like Peter Costello falling over themselves to be seen clapping along with the 20,000 believers at the SuperDome.

I don't have a problem with a church owning a business like that at all, but it has to be transparent. So, if Hillsong owned Gloria Jeans and said, hey, it's more effective then cake stalls at a fete and we are using all the money to build orphaneges in India and here's the proof, I'd say good for them. But if they refuse to say whether or not it's taxed and where it's going, that's dodgy as all hell.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I dont mind going to the Hari Krishna restaurant as their association is written in huge letters out the front. Same goes with the local Hindu society restaurant.

but if its hidden, its automatically dodgy and Im not setting foot in the place. I'm spiteful like that. :wink:

edited: Earnie you added another paragraph to your post whilst I typed. I agree with you, whole heartedly. :up:

Last edited:
But Hari Krishners make the best food anyway! I was given a cookbook by an orange sheet wearing dude once in Katoomba St. He wanted to give me one of those tacky horrible SMILE stickers as well, but I told him they rated up there with the SHIT HAPPENS and MAGIC HAPPENS bumper stickers and I reckoned the whole thing was against the Krishna philosophy lol. Needless, I gave him some money anyway, for $5 I got one of the most useful and yummy cookbooks ever.

Back
Top Bottom