Please, I need someone to help me. I has to do with religion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2bonogirl said:
And just for the record, I'm enraged at the thought of people being sent to hell as well.
I'm not quite sure how to deal with that yet

I'm with you there, it's not something i agree with and is a big factor in my struggle with faith in general.
But my issue here is taht this is not a new concept in Christianity and i therefore not seeing how the Youth Groups preaching of this is a bad thing? in fact, dont most religions work on some sort of basis like that - if you dont believe in their God, whoever that may be, then you don't go to heaven and you go to hell.
i mean if they didnt then what would be the point in teh different religions and theire Gods? If worshipping any one of them granted us passage to heaven and not to hell then how would we differentiate, how would religion in itself survive if it didn't matter who you worshipped cause it all ended up the same way anyway.

Halifax, while i feel for the torment this must be putting you through with regards to your fathers death, i think you need to realise that many other religions or at least many other churches and not necessarily just this Youth Group would tell you the same thing.
You need to make peace with your own belief that your father passed out of this life on to wherever YOU, and no one else believes he went peacefully.
You're not going to find that comfort anywhere but in yourself.

Last edited:
starsforu2 said:

if God had created Man with the inability to Sin or the inability to choose whether or not to worship him, then that isn't really adoration we're showing at all, we'd just be puppets.

But is it really a choice? The choice is love me or go to hell. Obviously most people are so afraid of hell that they pick the former. That isn't love that's fear and blackmail! Also, isn't "worship" a kind of puppetry anyway?

Not trying to pick on you at all, I am just genuinely trying to understand how this is a real choice here.

Last edited:
Hell is eternal separation from God, so by not choosing Him you choose that.
I'm not going to say that I know what hell is because really I have no idea.
It could be fire, or it could be endless repeats of that gazelle exercise thingy infomercial :shrug:

A fundamental thing in christianity is that there is two forces, good and evil. You choose one or the other.
And no, Christians are not jedi :wink:

Mrs. Edge said:

But is it really a choice? The choice is love me or go to hell. Obviously most people are so afraid of hell that they pick the former. That isn't love that's fear and blackmail! Also, isn't "worship" a kind of puppetry anyway?

Not trying to pick on you at all, I am just genuinely trying to understand how this is a real choice here.

Jessica :hug: I don't feel picked on at all, I think you've been most respectful in your disagreements, which makes discussion possible.

I'll have to tackle this one later, because it's a great question. :yes: I need to get some work done here before I go home.

Thanks again for all the replies. :hug:

Digsy, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head on why I found it so hard to leave this group. They people here are some of the most friendliest, chatty and open group I have ever met. Whenever I have problem inside of me, they are always willing to sit down with me and talk through it. Yes, the general publicity is bad, and some of the negativity is valid (Hillsong heavily influenced the Australian 2004 election. Mixing politics and religion always means disaster in my view), but I sometimes wished the media would put less focus on the higher ups and have a look at the ordinary youth that are attending this church. People always whine about young people not being spiritual enough, and when an opportunity comes, it’s labeled as cultish. Your absolutely right in saying that these people and friendly to a fault. But I still have my problems with Hillsong (their political intervention is the least of them) and some of the negative publicity is valid.

While my journey with spirituality still continues (and I bet it still has a LONG way to go), I’m still horrified by the notion of eternal damnation. Mrs. Edge, Indra and some others have pretty much articulated how I feel about this.

digsy said:

Halifax, while i feel for the torment this must be putting you through with regards to your fathers death, i think you need to realise that many other religions or at least many other churches and not necessarily just this Youth Group would tell you the same thing.
You need to make peace with your own belief that your father passed out of this life on to wherever YOU, and no one else believes he went peacefully.
You're not going to find that comfort anywhere but in yourself.

That’s a very Buddhist attitude you’ve displayed their Digsy :wink: (in Buddhism, it’s always said that salvation comes from within). Nobody has any concrete answers on what happens after death. I am trying to make peace of this. Sometimes I even wonder if I’m even using my father’s death as an excuse for my struggle with faith.

On the other hand, I’m also in agreement with indra and mrs. Edge (or ant of the other agnostic/Christian posters). Like I’ve said before, the notion of eternal damnation is one of the things which are driving my struggle with faith. To me, the Bible is not the written word of god. Face it, when 100 people witness an event, you’re most likely to receive 100 different stories. And add to the fact that there are missing gospels are that the Bible has been edited several times throughout the years, it puts further doubt in my mind about the validity of the Bible (again, that’s just my disjointed view and I’m not really into an argument about this).

Overall, is there a God? We don’t know. Is there an afterlife? We don’t know. Is there and heaven or hell? We don’t know. What happens to your soul after your die? We don’t know. Which religion is valid? We don’t know. Many people in this board might have an answer to these questions, but then again, those answers might lead to another theological slugfest. Mankind has, and continues to, engage in countless wars and bloodshed because of the disputes to these questions.

If anybody manages to come across books written by Thich Nhat Hanh, the Vietnamese Buddhist monk I mentioned before, I HIGHLY recommend you read them. I’ve just discovered his books and his wisdom and some of the things he’s written have soothed some of the spiritual anxieties I have in my mind. He mentions at one stage that he has a statue of Buddha and a portrait of Jesus Christ side by side and that he gives praises to both. Perhaps that a path I could feel comfortable walking on…

Anyway, thanks again for the replies. I’ve been reading this thread over and over again, and I would like to thank all of you for your views and challenging my beliefs, even if I do disagree with your views. If you have anything further to say, please, keep them coming.

u2bonogirl said:
:D you sound like you have a lot more peace than you did before
Really really cool

Thanks! Even though I still have questions, I think I'm making sense of my spiritual path.

EVen though I believe in God and I want Jesus to enter my life, at heart I'm a Buddhist. I've just been wondering if I could be a Buddhist AND and Christian at the same time? This article makes it seem possible: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/30/story_3004_1.html

So how could I balance my belief in God and Jesus and follow the teachings of Buddha? Buddha is not a god, (the Buddha himself said this repeatedly), and when God says there is only one true God (and its him), so mixing and following these two religions doesn't seem to be farfetched, and the examples in the articles makes it possible (besides, its not like I'm trying to mix Christianity with Athiesm lol...although that may be Agnostism :lol:). Bono said (or sang, can't remember) about something called a God-shaped hole. As a Buddhist at heart myself, maybe when I'm following the teachings of the Buddha, I could fill that God-shaped hole with my belief in God and Jesus. Heck, Jesus and Buddha have so many things in common that if they met, I'm willing they would greet eachother with open arms. That's the spiritual idea that came to me recently and its still not that developed, but hay, its a start in trying to achieve my own spiritual peace of mind.

Last edited:
Halifax -- I know several people who do meld eastern and western religions and it works very well for them. One, while not considering himself Christian (once described himself as Hindu/Buddhist/agnostic), does think that everyone should read both the Bhagavad Gita and the New Testament. So there are people that a blended belief system does work very well for them. I know there are people who believe that is blasphemy (I had one pitch a hissy fit in a chatroom when I dared to even bring up the idea :rolleyes: ), and while they are entitled to their opinion, I strongly believe there are as many "religions"/belief systems as there are people.

Originally posted by Halifax
Heck, Jesus and Buddha have so many things in common that if they met, I'm willing they would greet eachother with open arms. That's the spiritual idea that came to me recently and its still not that developed, but hay, its a start in trying to achieve my own spiritual peace of mind.

To me that's exactly what each person needs to do. :yes:

Mrs. Edge said:

I believe that it is a choice because many (most?) people choose to not follow God. They choose to go their own way and do what they feel is right in their eyes without seeking to determine if this is what God wants for their life. So, yes I believe it's still a choice.

I think using the father analogy will be the closest thing we will know on this earth. OK, let's say that you are a young girl and you have a street in front of your house. Your father tells you that you should not cross the street because he doesn't want the cars to injure you. The problem is that in your 5 years you can not remember ever seeing a car and every day you are tempted to go into the street because you begin to believe that your father is not telling the truth. You start to believe that you are indeed smarter than your father (Pride). And then one day you notice a swing set on the other side of the street and it looks like fun, but your father said that he didn't want you to cross the street. So what do you do?

You have a choice, you can stay with your father and live in community with your father or you can disobey him and check out the swing set. Your father knew you would be curious, because he made you and knows you, and it was for that reason that he warned you not to cross the street. Well, one day you've convinced yourself that your father must be withholding something from you because the swing set looks like so much fun. So with your eyes fixed on the swing set you cross the street and don't see the oncoming car until it is too late.

Our lives are a daily (hourly?) battle against the temptations that would keep you from community with God. His commandments are designed to spare us from from oncoming traffic, but because of the fall our hearts are deceitful and we don't want to trust in God, we want to do things our own way. This is true whether you grew up in the church or not. When you do good, do you not feel good? When you act charitably toward your neighbor, or hold your temper instead of yelling at your fiance, you feel good for doing something selfless, something righteous. And when your father encourages you to love your neighbor as yourself, and you do so, do you not feel closer to your father, and maybe adore him more? And when you decide that when your father asked you to remain pure before marriage and you sleep with your high school boyfriend, do you not feel further from your father, and maybe even loathe him for opposing you? And yet, your father although saddened by your weaknesses, does not cease to love you, but neither can he let your sin go unpunished, because that would not be just and it would not be loving you to allow you to continue rebelling. But instead of punishing you directly for sinning, he instead punishes his Son so that you may go free and have eternal community with the father. But there is only one condition, and it's a small one, but a life-changing one. You have to believe in the Son.

So, we don't worship him just because he's God. We worship him when we realize that he is good, that despite all of the times we have failed him, he keeps extending mercy to us and sent someone else to pay for the mistakes we've made. We worship him because we begin to recognize that walking like him is satisfying to the soul, and brings us closer to him.

I hope the analogy makes sense, I wanted to paint a picture of a father who loves us, and yet we rebel, and still he loves us and gives us a way to repay and unrepayable debt. And I use the 5 year old because in comparison to God, we are 5 years old. We just don't know enough about what he sees to righteously disagree with what he instructs us to do. We can disagree, and often do, but we're missing a large part of the picture that hasn't been revealed to us yet. And when we obey our father, we love him and adore him, and see him as a protector, and when we disobey him, we see him as tyrannical, mean and wrathful. And the only thing that has really changed is our behavior.

Well, I hope that this was helpful, it's hard to explain because it's still kind of hard to understand. If you want my advice and you are curious about Christianity, talk to your co-workers and friends and find some churches to visit. It's in there that you will find whether the people and message meet, or if it's just a bunch of hypocrites. Perhaps the most compelling example that this is for real for me is watching people's live become transformed. Sad people are a bit more joyful, marriages are strengthened, kids are better adjusted, people are more giving etc.

Good luck, and I hope the US of A gets you guys squared away soon that you can get on with your lives. 35 days and counting for us :hyper:

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out, and it was an excellent analogy! :hug:

It does make total sense what you are saying - but ONLY of course if a) one believes there is a God in the first place (still in doubt when one is an agnostic) and b) if you believe that in fact Jesus is who he says he is.

My trouble I guess is believing all that just because the Christians and their Bible say so. Why would I believe them over any other religion? Or over no religion at all? Arguments can be made in favour of all of it. Even if I were to read the Bible from cover to cover, I can't see myself suddenly going "OH!!! OK! I am a Christian now!" because I have no connection to any of that whatsoever. I could just as easily read any other religious book and say the same things about the other religions.

This is why I wish something (God??) would come along to make me FEEL something on this subject so I would be more motivated to put some energy into finding more.

Also, I consider myself a good person (despite the fact that I have done some dreadful things in my life for which I will be eternally unhappy), I am charitable and loyal to my friends and Paul. Many Christians kind of act like this sort of behaviour is theirs alone, but this is not the case. However, in my case none of this counts because if I don't believe in Jesus I'm going to hell anyway. That's the bit that annoys me..... :|

I would be curious to know what you think God does with people who were Christians (or even who weren't) and something horrible happened in their lives to make them swear off religion. Would he not show one IOTA of understanding for their situation? You would think a "loving Father" would, wouldn't you?

Knowing my luck I would just start researching Christianity, get killed in an accident and it would be too late!

Anyway, if you want to respond to any of that, great, if not, that's OK too. :) You must be getting soooooo excited!!!! I can't wait to hear how it all went.

Last edited:
u2bonogirl said:
A fundamental thing in christianity is that there is two forces, good and evil. You choose one or the other.
And no, Christians are not jedi :wink:

No, "good vs. evil" is the fundamental idea of Zoroastrianism, and, by extension, Pharisaic Judaism. The fundamental idea of Christianity, in contrast, became "love one another."

Melon

Hinduism is an interesting religion in that it likely shares the henotheist characteristics of early Judaism.

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Henotheism believed in the existence, and sometimes, worship of multiple gods, but one god as made supreme. It is thought that early Judaism was merely a collection of various tribes that believed in many gods, but shared one common "head god" above all: "Yahweh," a.k.a. "El Shaddai" (god of the mountain [Mt. Sinai]). The First Commandment blatantly reflects that with the use of the word "before," as it does not deny the belief in other gods. Yahweh, however, is the primary "God." The warrior "El Shaddai" is then supplanted by the peaceful "Ahura Mazda" of Zoroastrianism to create our concept of "God" that we see in the later Old Testament and the entire New Testament.

In the same manner, Hinduism, I believe, has added the Judeo-Christian concept of "God" within its pantheon of gods. "Brahman," however, would remain the "primary god," the creator of everything who exists beyond the need for human worship.

I dunno. Seeing how interrelated our religions are, both culturally and historically speaking, I cannot help but believe that the true "God" somewhere out there is trying to speak through them all, and, simultaneously, none of them are exclusively "right."

Melon

melon said:

No, "good vs. evil" is the fundamental idea of Zoroastrianism, and, by extension, Pharisaic Judaism. The fundamental idea of Christianity, in contrast, became "love one another."

Melon

Basically what I was getting at is that God said if youre not for me, then you're for them :up:

melon said:

I dunno. Seeing how interrelated our religions are, both culturally and historically speaking, I cannot help but believe that the true "God" somewhere out there is trying to speak through them all, and, simultaneously, none of them are exclusively "right."

Melon
Ive thought about that a lot :yes:
And my hope is that since God can reach people of all cultures that he uses what they know to get through to them in a unique way.
I really do hope that because it seems unfair to me that somebody should go to hell if they never heard the truth

I often think that the monistic idea of "Brahman" in Hinduism is very interesting. That is, everything, including the universe, Earth, life (and humans), gods, etc., are nothing more than essences of the same, incomprehensible creator Deity, "Brahman," that transcends time, space, and even human definitions of "existence."

Christianity has really only one example of monism, and that's with the doctrine of the Trinity: "God" being the Father, Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit. Three distinct Beings of one common essence.

Melon

melon said:

I've also been pondering about that idea lately. It just seems so...wrong that God would send good, loving people to hell just because they didn't subscribe to one particular religion.

I think a lot of very good points have been made in this thread.

Last edited:
indra said:
If there is a god and a heaven and hell and all that, I can't imagine a loving god damning good people for not being Christians (or whatever other religion the person saying you're doomed to hell is pushing). I can't imagine a god being that petty.

XHendrix24 said:
I've also been pondering about that idea lately. It just seems so...wrong that God would send good, loving people to hell just because they didn't subscribe to one particular religion.

2005- Humankind creates God in its own image?

Bad Templar said:

Personally I think humankind has ALWAYS done that. That would also explain the pettiness.

Bad Templar said:

Actually, these kinds of ideas have been thought of long before the current time.

Take Origen, an early Christian theologian for example. He believed in the idea of Final Restoration. That is, that in the end, everyone (even Satan) will be saved.

Of course that idea goes a little further than the point I addressed earlier, but it goes along with the fact that ideas like this aren't anything new.

Im interested in knowing more about what Origen talked about.
Theology interests me. Hopefully when I take history classes I can take some history of religion :yes:
Final restoration.
I'd like to see some more on that
It seems to me that satan wouldnt want to be saved...He wants to be God, would he really allow God to save him just so he can be under the thumb of power again?
I've got some thoughts on satan, mostly originating from my research and interest in agnosticism a while back. But I think thats for a different thread.
Maybe just my journal

Earnie Shavers said:
It should be noted for the non-Australians in here that the Hillsongs church is very controversial here in Sydney.

It is an all singing, all dancing church aimed at youth. Their services are basically all out rock concerts with a speech at the end. Not something uncommon today, except that there's the sinister undercurrent that this may in fact be all about money.

They play heavily on politics. Local and national. Something that a lot of people believe any church or religion should stay well and truly clear of.

There have been fraud charges brought against them several times. Sometimes found guilty, sometimes not.

They are very heavy on the "give money" thing, and the guilt that comes if you don't. Very heavy. The head pastor even published a book about how it was essential for a good Christian to be as wealthy as they possibly can - and give it to the church. Their church. They are also based in what is a relatively wealthy part of Sydney, often referred to as the "bible belt".

They are a massive commercial enterprise. CD's, books, etc etc. And they are famous for chasing after other churches for licensing/royalties should they broadcast any of their cd's or even have their own church bands play any of 'their' songs. Technicaly within their rights, but the way they go about it certainly seems to go against the spirit of the whole thing, and again makes people think that the bottom line is business.

A little known fact is that the church actually owns the Australian licence for the Gloria Jeans Coffee chain. A church using, I guess, 'modern' ways to invest it's money, make a healthy return and use it for good uses is okay with me - except there are serious questions being asked about where the money earned from the coffee chain is going. ie there is plenty of evidence that it gets pumped through the church, but no evidence that it is being spent on anything related to the church. The suggestion of course is that the Coffee Chain ownership is simply a great way to make a tax free truckload of money.

I'm actually very interested in going and checking out a night there first hand. I would suggest though that there are too many fingers being pointed at the top of the church, and that many of their congregation are being taken for a ride. They would like you to believe that Hillsongs is the way, the truth and the light and no-one else is. Please stick around and continue to give them money.

Wow, I didn't know this at all. I've got mates here in Singapore who are huge fans of the CDs that are released so I'm familar with the name.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Wow, I didn't know this at all. I've got mates here in Singapore who are huge fans of the CDs that are released so I'm familar with the name.

Hillsong's CD covers are very tacky...but clever.

About 90% have good looking female singers with their heads flung back and their mouths open with orgasmic delight.

Who says you can't sell Christian music with sex?

Generally polemicists like Origen are given credence for their contribution in the formation of Christian theology in the lead-up to the Nicene Creed in 324...not for their indiviual theology on its own.

An example is when Origen's 'eternal generation' of the Son (Christ) was used with Tertullian's writings to solve the Monarchianist trinitarian debate.

Bad Templar said:
Does this mean secular humanism is fatally flawed?

No. It's called most people don't know what it is and are too dumb to be good to one another. That's why I think people choose to ignore a simple, yet complex commandment like "Love one another" for an archaic set of concrete laws like the Ten Commandments.

Melon

My father-in-law committed suicide a few years after we were married. Our neighbor at the time was a minister at a fundamentalist church. He told our six year old daughter that her grandfather was burning in hell. :(

Back
Top Bottom