Please help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Ok, I'm starting to get worried.

I was on the floor last night at the Philly II concert. And ever since I left the concert I've had that annoying ringing in my ears. Yeah, it happens after concerts and stuff, but I've never had it last this long before. It's just as strong now as it was last night. So that's like already 16 or 17 hours without it letting up.

So, how long does this normally last? I hope I havn't done any permenent damage to my ears. I don't think I did, I mean who get tinnitis after just ONE concert.:huh:

Is it normal for the ringing to last this long?

If it is a problem though, is there something a doctor can do to help? I can't possibly imagine this thing lasting a whole week. :(

Dude, no-one here is in a position to offer you medical advice. You really should just see your doctor to put your mind at rest. Quite probably, it will be something straightforward.

Oh I understand. I'm not asking for medical advice. I was planning on seeing a doctor tomorrow if this doesn't stop. But since a lot of people here see concerts quite frequently I was just hoping to get some perspective from others who might know what the deal is.

Lancemc said:
Oh I understand. I'm not asking for medical advice. I was planning on seeing a doctor tomorrow if this doesn't stop. But since a lot of people here see concerts quite frequently I was just hoping to get some perspective from others who might know what the deal is.

Sure. I used to get tinnitus when I was a kid, but it went away of its own accord. I wouldn't worry unduly one way or the other but do talk to your doc.

Yeah, I unless it stops tonight I'll be sure to see my doctor tomorrow if not just for some more information about it, and what to expect for the next time etc.

It is good to hear that it's fairly common, but I just had no prior experience where it lasted for longer than 30 minutes or so.

sounds like regular post-gig fucked up ears. :wink: i've had it plenty of times and never had any lasting effects (beyond it lasting a few days after particularly loud gigs). if i were you i'd just try to ignore as best you can and if it continues or if you're especially worried about it then see your doctor.

I'm not a real doctor...I just play one on tv:wink:

It happened to me to me, as well. I think it must be extra bad the closer you are (I was in the ellipse). My ears were RINGING LIKE MAD after the show, and everyone around me started sounding like chipmunks...:huh:....the whole thing was pretty disconcerting. It took me about 4-5 days before things returned to normal.

A few days after that, I actually had the nerve to see a Pearl Jam concert, 4 rows back from the stage. This time, however, I wore earplugs, and they worked out great...no lasting ringing sounds.

From now on, plugs are part of the deal for me if my seat is close. If you're slighty self-conscious about using them (as I was...thinking they were geeky and not very rock & roll), I would advise waiting until the lights go down. I did this for Pearl Jam, and as I was doing it, I actually noticed a woman in the very front row doing the same. As well, there are flesh-coloured ones you can buy, which don't stand out...those are the kind I use now.

I love music, and I want to go to more shows in the future....but if you're hearing is shot, it kind of undermines the whole thing...

Hope your hearing improves asap...:up:

I would see a doctor asap. I read an article in this week's People about that singer Foxy Brown. She has a completely different hearing problem (total hearing loss) due to some sort of condition. She waited too long to see a doctor and it was too late.

I'm not saying you have that kind of problem, but maybe it's not something to mess around with

Good luck :)

financeguy said:
Dude, no-one here is in a position to offer you medical advice.

HOW DO YOU KNOW! and you will address me as Dr. Dis:angry: I worked very hard for that degree:angry:

Ok....:shifty: not really....I couldn't pass anatomy if the freakin skeleton told me the answers.

ok....*puts thread back on the tracks

I had it for days after my Elevation experiences. I wouldn't worry about it, but if seeing a doctor gives you peace of mind do it.

prolonged ringing indicated permanent damage to your hearing.

Wear hearing protection next time, and yeah, go see a doc.

sorry, my mind was elsewhere...........

I meant to say that prolonged ringing in one's ears indicates permanent hearing damage. There might possibly be a loss in degree of hearing, as in, you might not be able to hear things so well in the future. I say this not out of personal experience, but out of my dad's, for he used to play in a rock and roll band himself, and told me that's what happened to him.

I don't know what a doctor could do, but when in doubt, it's better to ask and check as opposed to inaction.

But I always would recommend hearing protection at concerts (or anywhere else you feel you need it, it's a noisy world) - my own hearing is way too sensitive to go without. Some ear plugs work better than others, but anything is better than nothing...

Last edited:
Oh my. I just visited the school nurse this morning who told me I may have ruptured my left eardrum. :scream:

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon at 2:30, so hopefully he can tell me what's really going on. If it is a ruptured eardrum, it should heal on its own within 1 to 2 weeks, but I will most likely need drops for my ears to prevent an infection. I will most likely not suffer any hearing loss though. :huh:

Wish me luck.

Oh my, what a relief. I'm glad I went to the doctor's.

I don't have a punctured eardrum, thank God. But I did suffer "severe noise trauma". It will probably take a week to two weeks to fully heal, and in that time I can't listen to (loud) music, be in large/noisy crowds, or play any piano or guitar. :sad:

Oh well, I just keep reminding myself that it could have been much worse. I just can't imagine putting up with this ringing inside my head for another week or so. :mad:

My doctor did write me a script for some anti-imflamatory steroids or something like that that should help reduce the swelling and hopefully heal the damage a little faster.

Anway, thanks for listening. :)

Temps21.gif

Back
Top Bottom