Playing Jesus to the lepers in my head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 'spiritual struggle' referred to was clearly one of reconciling the reality of longstanding attractions to the same sex ("when I was in grade 9, I told her I thought I was gay") with a religious upbringing--and parents--which maintain such attractions will "destroy one's life." It's quite clear from AttnKleinkind's initial post that the issue she seeks advice and support for is her parents' lack of acceptance of her current relationship, and the pain that causes her--NOT her assessment of her sexual orientation, or her own religious take on any of it. And BVS is right: ZC is a place for members to seek support and advice on sensitive personal issues--it isn't a theological or political debate forum; that's what FYM is for (and there are dozens and dozens of threads over there covering this 'topic' from that angle).

Any replies which aren't addressing the above personal issue don't belong here, period. And yes, further arguing over that probably will get this thread closed, so please stop doing it. Thanks.

LemonMelon said:

OK, I want to clear something up. I am a Christian. You all know this. I have certain beliefs that may differ from yours, and that's fine. However, you clearly have no clue what the purpose of a Christian is here on this earth. My job isn't to judge anyone or make anyone into anything. My job is to tell people about my beliefs, and that's it. I don't hate gays, and, frankly, I don't care if they do stay the way they are, and it ain't my job to change them, either. I'm willing to love them exactly where they're at.

then you better stop tossing around words like "burn in hell."

you'll notice the irony of the poster in here having difficulty living with individuals exactly like yourself. perhaps you are not the person to be offering advice.

and i'll leave it at that even though you've provided us all with an excellent "teachable moment."

we all know better what our original poster has gone through thanks to your posts. for that, you've done us all a service and you've given us an excellent example of how the mind of the religiously hateful operates.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

no one is stopping you from saying whatever you want.

Not to be picky, but...

i'm simply not going to let you harm someone. not in here.

...........?

but don't think for a moment you're immune from criticism or that an opinion is worthy of respect simply because someone holds an opinion. i respect everyone's right to an opinion, but i don't respect everyone's opinion.

Very good. I'm fine with that. Again, just remember that this isn't FYM here. We're not here to argue, just give our opinions for the good of someone else. Let's pick up the pieces of this thread while we can. I've never seen so much bickering in one ZC thread in my life.

then you better stop tossing around words like "burn in hell."

Well played, except you completely missed the part where I said not to "give me a hard time about that. I didn't write the Bible. :shrug: " Get in the face of the one who wrote the book, not the one quoting it.

Last edited:
this is the problem here.

darling, i don't think you hate gays, just like i don't think the poster's parents hate their daughter.

they hate the "sin."

see the difference? but to the gay person, there is no dividing the two. and this is what her parents need to start to understand.

and, in this thread, we can start with you. and perhaps the poster can learn some tactics in order to more effectively deal with people such as yourself. because you are the ones who make the life of gay Christian teens so difficult.

LemonMelon said:

Well played, except you completely missed the part where I said not to "give me a hard time about that. I didn't write the Bible. :shrug: " Get in the face of the one who wrote the book, not the one quoting it.

but you most assuredly are the one using the Bible -- and your misinterpretations of it -- to hurt someone.

do that in FYM. not in here.

I don't hate the sin or the person. :shrug: Personally, I'm not entirely sure about it all myself, but I'm just quoting what the book says, and it doesn't sound too positive to me. :slant:

What would really help you to change my mind is if you gave me even the slightest bit of scripture to prove your point, rather than just your opinion. That's really what bothers me. It's what bothered me yesterday, and it's what bothers me today. I want the truth, so give it to me.

LemonMelon said:

What would really help you to change my mind is if you gave me even the slightest bit of scripture to prove your point, rather than just your opinion. That's really what bothers me. It's what bothered me yesterday, and it's what bothers me today. I want the truth, so give it to me.

i am responding because i have not heard from Ormus/Melon, and i think he would add a great deal to this thread, both addressing the above, as well as being incredibly fluent in the kind of langue that the OP might need with her parents. it is my great hope that this post doesn't get this thread closed, becaue i'm trying to post mateiral that is relevant to a gay teenager struggling to deal with her Christian parents. i know Melon's posts have helped Memphis a great deal, so it is my hope that they will do the same for the OP.

so, i'll link to this old thread.

one highlight (among many):

[q]The Bible's vague references to same-sex acts are in the context of temple orgies, which was a common pagan practice that stretched back thousands of years, and pederasty, the Greco-Roman practice where adult men would have sex with teenage boys until the latter reached the age of marriage, whereupon he would get married to a woman. If the destruction of Gibeah is not a condemnation of all heterosexual acts, then these stories of idolatry, orgies, and pedophilia are not a condemnation of all homosexual acts.

And this was more than evident through the first 1000 years of Christianity. It is known that early Christians looked at the Bible and focused mainly on idolatry, much in the same way that today's Christians look at the Bible and focus mainly on sex. Have you ever asked yourself where this focus shift came from? For that, we can blame the medieval Christian stoic movement, who finds its ideological father in St. Augustine. While he claims to have converted from Manicheanism to Christianity, the evidence is overwhelming that, much of the time, he used his influence to put Manichean theology into Christianity. Manicheans had two main obsessions:

1) Dualism--"good versus evil," a concept they took from the Persian religion, Zoroastrianism.

2) Purity, where they avoided the material, passionate, and emotional, along with all meat and sex, which they believed polluted the body, condemning them to an eternity of rebirth cycles.

Now just imagine what a disaster it is combining these two extreme philosophies. As a result, the post-Augustine Christian church developed a hatred of sex of all kinds. Sex for pleasure, even between married couples, was a mortal sin worthy of eternal hell. For a married couple to see each other naked would have been "lust," which was a mortal sin. This meant that a married couple was to only have pleasureless sex (probably through a hole in a sheet or something) only when they were ready to conceive a child.

This went further, as well. This philosophy is also the originator of the concept of "original sin." While today we believe that it is the sin of Adam and Eve, it was originally a belief that we were all tainted with sin, because we all came out of women. There was a particular disdain for women in these days, and, in fact, this was why female priests, who existed from the beginnings of the Christian church (so much for excuses claiming that they were forbidden because of the Bible) up to the 4th century A.D., were banned. It was their belief that the mere existence of women was from the result of Satan. Men were the lifebringers, while women merely held the incubating waters. Because men were the bearers of life, it was then believed that all fetuses were inherently male, and that female fetuses were a result of Satan's interference in the womb.

Proper behavior for men were to be strong and emotionless in every instance (hence today's adjective, "stoic," meaning "one who is seemingly indifferent to or unaffected by joy, grief, pleasure, or pain"). Feelings of happiness and sadness were equally condemned. Women were allowed to cry, merely because they were already "fallen," and, as such, "weakness" was expected.

Homosexuality, as such, was reserved for their deepest vitriol. It violated every tenet of Christian stoicism. It was pleasureful! It was lustful! It treated a man like a (*gasp*) woman! And because they believed that men were the lifebearers, they had a genuine fear that a man would get pregnant. This is where Christianity gets its anti-gay prejudices, not through the Bible. The Christian stoics did not even use the Bible to justify these prejudices. It was just obvious through their understanding of "natural law." Indeed, even today, the Catholic Church has quietly acknowledged that the Bible has nothing to do with their anti-gay sentiments, and a good many Catholic Bibles actually have contextual footnotes on the supposed anti-gay passages that echo exactly what I've stated in regards to idolatry, temple orgies, and pederasty! This homophobia, instead, has everything to do with medieval "natural law" tradition.

Christian stoicism, obviously, has changed over the centuries. Manicheanism became forgotten, so nobody would ever have known its influence on Christianity. "Original sin" was later redefined as being the equal sin we bear from being descendent of Adam and Eve, rather than being a result of childbirth through a woman's sinful vagina. 19th century Protestantism came up with the revolutionary concept that men and women should get married for love. Prior to that, it was about business and property alliances. Many kingdoms, after all, were created through such alliances.

"Homosexuality," as we know it today, was not even theorized until 1874 Germany. It was a revolutionary concept to believe that homosexuals were not merely heterosexuals who slip up once in a while. In the 132 years since then, it has been more than confirmed that homosexuals are a distinct part of nature. They are not merely heterosexuals that decide to fool around with the same sex here and there. It is not a mental illness, as determined by all credible psychologists and psychiatrists.
[/q]

:hmm: Very, very interesting. It didn't answer my request, but it does give me something to ponder.

Now, yesterday, Irvine, you brought up Jesus' lack of mentioning homosexuals in any parables/sermons in the Bible itself (though that does not necessarily mean that he did not speak about such things at all, as not everything he spoke was recorded), as if the original anti-homosexual laws written in the early parts of the Bible had become antiquated. Keeping this in mind (and the above article), what is your take on this scripture, written many years after the death of Christ by a well-known Pharisee, who would probably be quite familiar with the context during which the original anti-homosexual rules/laws were written:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

The interesting part about the above scripture that may discredit it is the term "offenders" after homosexual, which seems to not refer to not simply being gay, but some other offense.

Thank you for the article, Irvine.

am not doing this here. go read the thread i linked to very carefully.

you can always find me in FYM.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks anyway, Irvine. It was a good article.

At this point, I would like to request again that all discussion not pertaining to the original post would cease.

This thread has definitely made me think, but, again, that wasn't the original point.

Thank you for talking with me, Irvine, Indra, antiram, and others. I'm sorry that we couldn't agree, but that's life I guess. If you can't live with my opinion, then I suppose I'll just have to live with that. And, of course, vice-versa. I just really wish you would give me the same courtesy I tried to give you. Again, I only wanted to help. :sigh: I had no hatred toward the original poster, and I just wanted them to be comfortable with themselves (sexually, spiritually, etc...) If I came across as hate-filled in any way I sincerely apologize.

OK, I'm done. :)

what we need to realize here is that there is so much at stake for the gay person. what the parents need to understand is just how damaging their reaction to their daughter's homosexuality is to the daughter. to them, it might be just another sin, but unlike sin, it is not correctable. i's not something that can be changed through behavioral modification, which might well disqualify it from conventional definitions of sin.

this is why i strongly recommend finding a pro-gay church and finding gay clergy to talk to, both one-on-one and as a family.

I'm sorry that you're going through this really tough time with your parents, AttnKleinkind, and I wish there was something one of us could suggest that would instantly make things better for you, even though I know we can't.

I can't san't say that I know what it's like to come out to your parents, but I do know what it's like to strongly question your faith. I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school, but something that happened to someone I really cared about during my senior year of high school made me step back and really doubt many of the things I'd been raised to believe. I don't want to go off on a long tangent here, but what I finally realized was that I could still be a spiritual person and still have faith but not necessarily follow one religion. I tend to be somewhat of a shy person, and I deal with people better one on one; over time I realized that I preferred to keep my relationship with God between myself and God. I try to be the best person I can be and to watch out for others. I still screw up, but instead of feeling that guilt that I used to feel so often when I was Catholic (and still unavoidably do sometimes) I try to focus on growing and learning from my mistakes. Even if you're not sure what you believe right now, hanging on to your faith and knowing you believe in something can give you a lot of strength.

I think it's very good for you to question what you believe, because in the end (even though it's a difficult process and can take quite a long time) it helps you to much better understand what's important to you and why. When we're younger, a lot of times we simply believe things because we're told to, but probably what was the biggest part of becoming an adult for me was figuring out my values and beliefs separate from those of my family, teachers, and friends.

As others have said, if it's financially possible for you, you might consider moving out of your parents' house. When you're working to overcome depression, you need to be surrounded by positive people (I know from experience), and, for now at least, it doesn't sound like your parents are giving you the support you need. Living away from your parents will also give you the chance to move away from looking at yourself as your parents' child and learning to see who you are and who you're becoming as you move into adulthood. That's never easy; I remember it myself, and I teach college students, so I see many of them going through this struggle every year.

It sounds like your girlfriend is a very positive influence in your life. Keep trying to seek out more positive influences--friends, other family members, friends' families, co-workers, etc. We can't choose our families, but we can create a sort of second family of people who will love us and support us no matter what. Don't be afraid to ask for help along the way if you're feeling depressed or confused. You'll be surprised by how many people will be willing to help you. That's something that it took me too long to realize, and I see now that I would've saved myself a lot of anguish had I only asked for help sooner.

I hope you find a peaceful resolution to your problems soon.

Irvine511 said:
i am responding because i have not heard from Ormus/Melon, and i think he would add a great deal to this thread, both addressing the above, as well as being incredibly fluent in the kind of langue that the OP might need with her parents. it is my great hope that this post doesn't get this thread closed, becaue i'm trying to post mateiral that is relevant to a gay teenager struggling to deal with her Christian parents. i know Melon's posts have helped Memphis a great deal, so it is my hope that they will do the same for the OP.

I was away for the weekend, so this is the first I've seen this thread. I had no idea that Memphis found my Biblical insights to be so useful. A lot of the time, it feels like I'm just generating "white noise" here, so it's good to know that it matters more than I originally thought!

LemonMelon said:
The interesting part about the above scripture that may discredit it is the term "offenders" after homosexual, which seems to not refer to not simply being gay, but some other offense.

This verse, in particular, can be easily deconstructed based on the original Greek, and if you do a search in FYM, you'll see that I've done it before--many times over.

But I'll do it again...just not in this thread, like Irvine mentioned. It appears that a large FYM thread will be in order.

AttnKleinkind, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time. :hug:

What you need right now is a community. Your home isn't providing the sort of nurturing supportive community you need. I think it is harmful to remain in that situation. Is there any way you can move out at all? I'm sure it will be difficult, but right now what they are doing to you is hurting you from the inside, and staying with them will only make it worse.

You are an intelligent adult, you're at that age where you don't have to be under your parents' wing, and you can pursue YOUR dreams and YOUR goals. Do what is best for yourself.

Along with checking out those churches, I also echo you finding local groups as well. There are loads of them, especially activist groups. I think getting involved will really provide you that sense of affirmation that you really need right now.

Take care :hug:

unico said:
Along with checking out those churches, I also echo you finding local groups as well. There are loads of them, especially activist groups. I think getting involved will really provide you that sense of affirmation that you really need right now.

i think this is great advice as well. you don't necessarily need to find a BGLT group in order to find a support system. any sort of progressive groups will be able to offer you support and space.

Well, I was away for the weekend, so I guess it's time to start my massive reply post! But seriously, the whole random argument in the middle aside, I really really appreciate everyone who replied. And also there are a few things I want to clarify...

Irvine511 said:

you need to respect your parents. you need to respect the community from which they come that has shaped these beliefs. you need to respect the time that they are going to need.

but the belief itself is demonstrably false and demonstrably harmful, not just to you but to the two of them as well. it's up there with any sort of racist or sexist thought. homophobia is no different.

You know, that's very interesting. I certainly wouldn't respect my parents' beliefs if they disapproved me dating a black man. And it seems so bizarre for me to be equating homophobia with racism, but it so shouldn't be. It's hard, because I feel like I have a lot of the residual mindset that I've been brought up with. So to realize that is wonderful though, because then I can move past it. And I never would have differentiated between 'respecting their beliefs' and 'respecting them.' Thanks, that new perspective really changes a lot of things - and also makes me question what other assumptions I've been operating under still (even though I'm usually analytical to a fault!)

Also in regards to moving out which was brought up a few times - unfortunately, it's not financially possible for me right now. I worked at a camp for a few years, so that kind of screwed me over in terms of cash flow. I now have a properly paying, excellent job, but I haven't had it long enough to really make up for those years at camp. I really think it would be beneficial for me to move out, not only regarding this issue, but just generally the way that my parents operate, it is hard for me to sort of 'grow up' while I'm still living here. So yeah...unfortunately, moving out just isn't feasible for me. :( (Well, unless things got really really bad I could stay at a friend's house)

Lemonmelon - I appreciate that you were trying to help, so I appreciate your response in that regard. I don't even know if I want to respond to issues that were brought up for fear of starting another debate, and it wouldn't be productive, so in response I just want to clarify something that particularly bothered me:

LemonMelon said:

Referring to yourself as both bisexual and homosexual in the same post while asking if it's actually possible to become more gay is a good sign of confusion.

I just wanted to point out that simply the fact that I use 'bisexual' and 'gay' interchangably does not show that I am confused. I am both physically and emotionally attracted to both men and women. So technically I am bisexual. But I use both terms interchangeably; I guess I didn't feel like I had to be specific, I don't know if that's bad etiquette or not, but whatever. Also the whole "is Degrassi going to make me more gay?" wasn't a reflection of what I thought, but of what my parents thought it would do to me, somehow. I feel pretty confident in my assessment of my sexuality. Unless of course, my parents are right and the devil is tricking me.

Ormus said:
I had no idea that Memphis found my Biblical insights to be so useful. A lot of the time, it feels like I'm just generating "white noise" here, so it's good to know that it matters more than I originally thought!

I've stayed up many late nights reading long-dead threads in FYM and I gain an incredible amount of not only intellectual stimulation, but immense comfort from them. That sounds cheesy, but it feels like such a huge sigh of relief to know that this inner conflict that I've been agonizing over may not actually be a conflict at all.

Anyways, I really appreciate all the support here, and I'm definitely going to keep building positive community around myself. This has been very encouraging, and all the advice has been well taken. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom