Our Father Needs Your Prayers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry about this my prayers go out to you and your family.

Our eldest sister A., visited Dad this week and she explained that his recent weight loss has cost him his hearing aid; he's "shrunken" to a degree that his hearing aid won't fit, its being fixed...

BUT....she said that despite where he lives (Palm Springs) and its been over 115 degrees daily, he's doing well...sense of humor still there! he's waiting for the results on a series of blood tests that should be announced to him tomorrow....we continue to pray for the best, even if its a little miracle, its something...we thank our friends for their continued love and support.

BAW's and Doozer

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he's doing well and I hope for the best.

Hello friends...just an update as to our father's illness...first and foremost, yes, he is still with us...his recent bloodtests indicated that there has been no signficant change in his leukemia, meaning that its neither worsened not gotten better, which, for all intents is wonderful news...

Since my last post, I, and other family members had visited Dad..he's had his good days and he's had his bad days...I mean laying in bed and then sitting in front of his TV can't be too exciting...his is weakening but we expected this from a near 89 -year old man...HOWEVER.....

I've visited him for the past two days; he's held continued conversations, his recollection of specific childhood memories, his and mine, were wonderful to hear...He and his wife are in good spirits and she's been nothing less than perfect with Char..I'm sure this might surprise other family members but I'm really going out of my way to make HER last days, weeks and months with my Father good for her, too. When you think about it, she's been our step-mother for the past 17 years..albeit that none of my siblings, nor I, had any relationship with her (at her chosing)..its she who now has taken on the task of helping Dad, feeding Dad, bathing Dad, clothing Dad...you get the picture; I confess, she deserves more credit that I've given her...not only that, she hasn't taken Dad as a chump; she's worked the entire time during their marriage...I've promised her that if and when the final days of Dad comes, that I will continue a step-son relationship with her...

Dad's lost some weight but his color looks good; its very hot in Palm Springs this time of year but that doesn't keep him from wearing his Hot Pink Bermuda shorts! On Sunday, I gave him a hug and kissed him as I left...the step-mom walked me to the door and we both heard Dad say, "wait a minute..."

We turned to look, and here he came, using his cane making his way to the door...he stopped, told his wife "hold this, I have to hug my son!" He was weeping slightly and made me promise that I would come back soon....

Sooner than he thought, I was back today...I arrived with a lunch surprise..he confessed yesterday that he loved a certain take-out from a nearby shop; BAW and I stopped and picked up his meal...we went back to the house but Dad was sleeping...as we talked with the step, here he came,,,he admitted that he smelled the Kung Pao Shrimp and he couldn't wait to dig in...he ate about 1/4 the meal which was a good sign since he had earlier admitted to not having such an appetite....

We'll be back in 2 weeks...by the way, my step-mom gifted me a Timeshare in Maui, Hawaii.......love to all who have prayed...there is strength in numbers. every day for Dad and the thousands of others suffering from this dreaded disease is a good day...bless all of you as well.....:hug:

It's wonderful to hear you are spending so much time with him. He is very lucky to have you and I'm glad he has remained stable these past few months.

I will still keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

RE: the timeshare, is definitely ours for the taking and we, siblings, will keep it as a family Timeshare....we'll take turns using the vacation, one year at a time...in an orderly manner! :lol:

Wow that last update made me cry.

My father is going to be 71 on Thursday and he is battling cancer too. He's doing pretty well though considering.

You are doing something extremely important for your dad...you are showing him that he is loved. I'm sure much of his strength is coming from that. The human spirt is such a powerful and wonderful thing.

I will be praying for you, your dad and your whole family

:hug:

"Who's to know when the time is coming round, don't wanna see you cry, I know that this is not goodbye"

I like the pink shorts thing. And that he eats and is taken care of. Also think it´s a good thing when family members who didn´t have that much contact, get into contact.

Hope your dad will still stay here for a long time .. :hug:

Blessings and all the Best

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I like the pink shorts thing.

he usually wears plaid shorts with a striped shirt, black socks and white shoes! :yikes:

he was an avid golfer, especially in the 80's when you could wear all those brights, plaids and stripes and be fashionable!!

thanks for all the thoughts and prayers! it truly is appreciated. i haven't gone to see him in a couple of months due to being extremely busy on the weekends but i will go again when i get back from vacation. :yes:

Following our recent visit, my older sister, A. went to see Dad on Tuesday, followed by my brother Ed and his two sons on Saturday. On Sunday, there was a blip on the screen but as of now, all is fine.

With my step-mom at work, her son, who also lives with my father, had to run an errand leaving Dad to himself for several moments, long enough for him to take a walk or make a "break for it!" Unfortunately, it was 108 degrees and he quickly fatigued in front of a neighborh's home....paramedics were called and he was soon whisked away to the ER.....

Step-mom was called and she spent the afternoon at the ER; his apparently memory lapse is due to his reluctance to use his portable oxygen tank as required. He was later released, scolded by the doctor to stay close to home and as of right now, all is well........ Bad boy! We all realize that this might be just one of several episodes that we may encounter.

Mr. BAW will visit Dad on Tuesday morning, early...I will report later...thanks for the love. :heart:

On a sadder note, one of my best friends since childhood lost his mother last Tuesday and his mother-in-law last Wednesday...please send your prayers of strength to my friends, Gary and Laura of Seal Beach, CA. Bless you folks.

:hug:

My older sister, A., and I met with Dad, his wife and the Social worker...my father is not getting any better nor did we actually expect that he would...since my last entry, it seems that his memory is now failing.. a decision was made to place Dad into nursing home insomuch as there is no one available to care for him while his wife leaves town to Baltimore for personal reasons (all legit)...

Hospice will care for Dad on a daily basis and there will be something there, around the clock for his needs...

Yesterday, I came to the desert to prepare him and myself (God, I'll need it) to take him to the home...I never thought in my wildest dreams that this day would ever come and the fact that I volunteered to be the one to take him surprises me even more...I've always been a take charge guy but this is a GIANT step in my life and the remaining days of my Father's life as he know it...

Last week, I was doing some alone time and an event that occurred nearly 42 years ago came back to me with such vividness...and now, with my Dad's end so near, I can write about it but probably not without shedding a tear....

My father was driving his 1963 Buick; my older brother had called him and asked for help with his own car in another part of L.A. Dad took me along for the ride...

We were driving down 190th Street approaching Van Ness, back then both streets one-lane roads in either direction...Dad was coming up on the rear of a car and the lady stopped dead in front of us...my father braked, swerved to the left and into the head-on path of a oil tanker coming toward...the sound of Dad's screeching tires, the noise of the tanker's airhorn and the fact that my father managed to squeeze our car between the truck and the stopped car is something I will never understand....it was the first time that I ever saw my father cry; he saved our lives...or was it him..was there a Higher Power with us on that bright sun shiney afternoon. I'm tearing as I write this..

He saved us and it was something that I can't understand because no matter what my present wishes are, there's nothing I can do to save him....all these years, 54, with this man of steel, this man who, with a 3rd grade education taught himself to read and write, took his first bride at age 14, was there as a provider, an example of hard work and sharp words..I can't bear that I now will place him in a home...its breaks me up....:sad: I love you, Dad.

Back
Top Bottom