One month and GONE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Ok, time for the big guns!

clarityat3am said:
Ok, here's the deal. Last night my roommate came home and told me that apartment complex had called her and told her the girl that had applied to be my new roommate had decided not to go through with it. This is ok, I'd talked to her before. So I told my roommate that was my only prospect at the moment. She then went into this super bitch tirade about how she hated it here and she wasn't going to stay and a bunch of other shit and that "bottom line" we had to find someone or we'd have to break the lease. She was thoroughly nasty to me about it. Um...what? I'm not the one who decided to leave in a month and what the fuck? I'm already looking for a new roommate and there's no way I'm going to break the lease for this bitch. She sure as hell would pay for everything if that happened anyway. Where exactly can I find information about what she's legally obligated to do for me? I'm not going to screw around with her and be nice if she's going to be like this to me. :mad:

"Breaking the lease" is not easy. You can't just go to the landlord and say "sorry, we're out". The lease is a legally binding contract and if either of you break any of the terms on the lease, it's the landlord who has the right to sue you for the amount of rent (plus any damages incurred) during the period of the lease.

Most leases are pretty simple in that you can have up to four people sign. This is a bit misleading though b/c that does NOT mean that every person who signs the lease is obligated to pay the landlord. If one, or two, or three people leave, whoever is left is responsible for paying rent in the full amount. However, having others on the lease who bail might help you (or whoever's left) if you had to sue them for part of the rent b/c the landlord sued you. :huh:

Housemates/roommates can really suck when it comes down to this stuff. I've learned the hard way that it's best to get everything out on the table, so to speak, right away. Whenever a new girl moves into our house, we make it crystal clear that between US (not the landlord), she is ultimately responsible for her rent and fraction of the utilities when her name is on the lease. This includes summer AND any study time abroad. By now, everyone in my house has spent at least a month abroad and we've all still had to pay for our rent and utilities. It sucks, but if that's the arrangement that everyone agrees to, it's the easiest and most fair.

Did you have any written or verbal agreement about what would happen if someone wanted to leave, or how the utilities are paid?

I guess in summary, your roommate is not legally obligated to pay you or the landlord. If it came down to legal action, your landlord would sue you for rent and you could turn around and try to sue your roommate.

Yeah. :| We never did this and she really blindsided me when she did this. I don't want to break the lease and I don't intend to. I just sent an email to a lawyer to find out what kind of options I have. I was going to talk to her about paying until I had found a suitable roommate, but then she turned into mega bitch on me last night and I just didn't even know what to say to her. :|

I found this which makes me feel a little better.

http://www.studentlegal.ucla.edu/RMMATE01.html

Question: My roommate and I signed a one-year lease with our landlord, which ends on June 30, 2004 . Last weekend, my roommate moved out of our apartment to go live with her boyfriend and says she won’t be paying rent any longer. What can I do?

Answer: Because you and your roommate both signed the lease, you are jointly and severally liable for the rent. That means that each of you is responsible for the entire amount of rent for the apartment, so you will have to pay the landlord your roommate’s share of the rent until you find a replacement roommate. You probably have a legal right to sue your roommate, however, for any money you pay on her behalf. If you had an oral or written agreement that both of you would stay in the apartment until June, then you can sue her for breach of an agreement or contract. Even if you had no explicit agreement, you can argue that she implicitly agreed to pay rent until June because she signed the lease. In the future, you should have a written roommate agreement that clearly addresses this issue, among others; a sample agreement is on the Student Legal Services web site.

:sigh:

Yes, that's a good basic summary, at least from what I've come to understand based on experience and taking business law.

I agree that in the future, an agreement between leasees is a good idea. I personally don't have a written one, but we have a verbal one I could back up in court with witnesses and also my e-mails to prospective and current housemates that explicitly state our rent and utilities policy.

If she's stupid and doesn't understand all the legalities, tell her you're willing to work with her to find a replacement, but in the end, she's responsible for paying up or you have grounds to sue.

I'm going to try to be nice to her tonight. I'm sure she won't agree to anything in writing so I don't know exactly what to do about that. She already said she'd pay through the end of the month even though she wasn't staying the whole time. I have a feeling she'll freak again if I bring up her having to pay til I find someone. I'd rather not even talk to her about it. :sigh:

Do you think it would help if I told the apartment complex about this? Should I have done this immediately?

Last edited:
I'm sorry and I don't mean to be so rude but she is a ginormous bitch. That is horrible that she decided to be like this.

I don't know what to say about your apartment complex though. Do you think they might kick you out because of her?

clarityat3am said:
I'm going to try to be nice to her tonight. I'm sure she won't agree to anything in writing so I don't know exactly what to do about that. She already said she'd pay through the end of the month even though she wasn't staying the whole time. I have a feeling she'll freak again if I bring up her having to pay til I find someone. I'd rather not even talk to her about it. :sigh:

Do you think it would help if I told the apartment complex about this? Should I have done this immediately?

It would be worthwhile to tell them just so they're aware, in case they start getting late payments. They probably won't do anything about it, since most landlords have heard this all a million times over. It's worth noting that it's pretty hard to actually get someone evicted. Even if you're not paying any rent, it would take a few months for them to start taking legal action. I'd alert them of the situation, pay what you can, and see what happens...

Well since I'm a big chicken :reject: and my roommate doesn't seem to want to talk anyway, I wrote a letter to her telling her what I'm doing and what I expect of her. I think that should be effective to at least get her to talk to me. I hope this works. :sigh:

Ok here's the update for the update. Roommate and I talked. Everything is better. She now realizes that I really am doing the best I can to find a new roommate after she did some looking of her own and had the same dismal outcome. Now I can stop stressing and sleep and study again. :yawn:

Another shitty update. She says to me today, oh well I can pay for a month and that's it. I just kind of looked at her and was like...ok. Now I have to get a fucking lawyer.

This is crazy, I'm having a similar situation since my wife walked out (pending divorce) and I've been having to swing the ridiculous rent payments for our 2 bedroom since. Lease is up end of May, so it'll be a stretch. Good luck 2 U w/Ur situation.

On the other hand, if somebody wants 2 move down and room in Sunny Florida, let me know.... LOL! ;)

The Disciple said:

On the other hand, if somebody wants 2 move down and room in Sunny Florida, let me know.... LOL! ;)

Just as an aside and out of curiosity, where is it and how much? My fiance and I are moving there eventually. I have no idea what the costs are there. Right now we live in one of the cheapest places in the country (relative to how "nice" and developed it is).

I'm in the Tampa area, and prices are ridiculous.... I'm currently paying 850.00 for a 1200 square foot 2-bedroom (which is good), but anywhere I go now, I'm paying that or more for a one-bedroom.... prices keep going up. I need to move out because they're selling my apartments as 'condos' now.

That sounds like here. The 2 bed/2 bath I'm in is 995 and that's reasonable here. :| There's a huge condo thing going on everywhere it seems.

Good luck with the situation.

We just found a housemate to replace me in September and I'm already composing our extra-lease agreements.

My lovely ex (as of tomorrow) roommate just told me that basically my dog has makes the apartment stink and, besides the "things" I have around that it's pretty much my fault nobody wants to move here. That maybe I want to spray some air freshener and air the place out like she has been so someone would consider the place. Where's the fuck off smilie. :censored:

Back
Top Bottom