Old letters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For Honor

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
You know how some people say that you should hold on to old love letters, etc?

I don't know, I don't think I can. By accident, I came across some recently, and since then, I'm just a little shaken. I suppose finding them, paired with talking to her again, (we're still friends, we still care a lot about each other....... but I'm not going into the situation, because it doesn't matter at all.), I suppose that was too much mind food for me.

I don't like whinning about things like this, but I think this thread might actually help, if I just write this and get it out and over with. To just admit that it is difficult, and it is hard for me. And it's so silly, so typical, so cliche almost. But..... I can't think about love without thinking about her. I can barely think about sex without thinking of her, and we are both virgins, mind you. I know part of moving on is at least telling your mind that someone isn't as important as they seem, or that indispensible, or whatever. But it's hard.

This is why I know there is love, at least in my world, or my life, for me. Because I honestly felt that there was no such thing. I refused to believe it, and now I can't deny that it exists.

Anyhow...
As far as the letters/emails/etc, I had to get rid of them. I know it would be nice to look at them a long time from now or whatever, but right now, I can't. I'm too "smart", as in, I'd subconsciously give in to them, and rationlize some reason to see them again, blah blah...

It hurts.... when..... I do talk to her, and we have really nice conversations, but I know that's only as far as it can go, because... because that's just how it is. I'm not going to answer any questions about our relationship, but I will say that it ended peacefully, and probably for the best, since we are so young, and can't really progress with it, at the moment at least. ANd I really do think that is the best thing for now, since we.... we'd be so much for each other that we'd probably interfere with things.

Anyhow...
I can't believe myself sometimes. I know I'm damn callous, and cold sometimes, and I don't mind that at all. But when it comes to ... special relationships... I..... can't bear to hold my feelings back. I do, I hold them back, but it's such an incredible pain to not tell someone how you feel about them, or how much you want to be with them, etc...

But at the same time, I do, because I know that it's no good to bring it up for her, or for me, either. It would hurt her, too, just like it is to me now. And I don't like when people cry, especially... obviously, those I care about vastly.

So yeah...
It is difficult
But that's okay, that's ..... how it's supposed to be, it seems.

It's funny, we have both reacted in the same way - not really wanting to get involved with relationships at the moment. (with other people). For me, it has a lot to do with
a: I'm going away to college in January
b: I don't want to get involved at the moment, because, obviously, I'm not over her completely.

Or at least, enough to feel comfortable with someone else.

(and also, I know I'm tremendously spoiled, because she had so many fine qualities that I look for in a girl, in a woman, in a girlfriend, and in .... other forms of commited relationships). I hope I don't torment myself by remebering, and comparing. But I don't think I would, because that would be rude. But in my head, I know it will be there..........

I guess that's all for now, or at least, this post.

"It's just a moment, it's time will pass"
Perhaps my favorite functional U2 lyric...

But I'm.... going to accept this moment, and experience it, and let myself know it and move on when the time comes. Accept the hurt, the difficulty, my tears, everything. Understand that it's alright if I do feel this way.

okay, well, I feel better, I think.

I'll try to go to sleep....

Going through the posts on interference helps.... gets my mind off of things.

Another moment passes, I suppose.

:blankface:

I've deleted all of my emails that were from exes...and I regret it. :slant:

I still have cards and letters and other mementos stashed around in my bedroom back at my dad's. Occasionally, I'll come across one, and I always cry...even if that person had been a complete jerk to me. I'm very sentimental and can't help but remember the good times, even though I know I'm better off now.

do not throw away anything -- a material thing can always help you, even if it reminds you of a story that went bad!

I am really sure of it!

for some reason I like to hold onto the letters from my exes and past relationships, but it sometimes brings back feelings when I reread them, so I suppose I see why you threw em away.

but it's nice to hold onto the letters though. lets you reminisce about the 'good times' even though the feelings come back. but with those feelings, I remember the reason why things had to come to an end, and I feel better knowing it's best left that way.

a few months ago I was in the same boat as you are in right now, so I hope things get better with you. thinking all those thoughts about your ex isn't exactly the best way to pass your time :slant:

"It's just a moment, it's time will pass" :yes:

It just seems pointless. For me, remembering what was good would just make me more vulnerable, and open to unneccesary hurt. Don't get me wrong, I'm never one to say "yes, try to avoid the truth", no.

But I don't advise anyone, ever, to live in the past.

For Honor said:
Such as many things in life - the more you bring it up, think about it, negatively or positively, the more it can dominate your mind. Sometimes it seems like people are trapped within themselves....

They continually only express things in terms of what they know, think is true.

^ I guess I "called" this.

But I wonder about the difference between holding on to the past too much, versus letting yourself go throught the process, and accept that it isn't a "happy feeling" to move on.

Either way, regardless..... I at least know what I am to do

My first wife threw all of my collectibles away soon after our separation, including letters, year books, little league, PONY league pins, high school memoribilia including Letters, and team pictures....it was her way of saying "thanks"....

BAW's not like that, at all...............:no:

"hey, have you seen my 5-iron?????" :eyebrow:

My ex wrote me letters from bootcamp almost everyday. When it was finally over with him I got rid of them. I do regret it. I still have other stuff from our relationship but those letter probably meant more than everything else combined.

I'd keep the letters in the shoe box and hide them away. I don't think I'd ever go back and read them even if I still had them but the thought that someone cared enough to write them is nice.
:hug:

Well, I'm a young kid, so I don't have a lot of items or anything like that, heh.

But I deleted the emails, and that's just something I had to do. I don't have any regrets, but if I whine about it later on in life, then you can all say you told me so. Yes, it is nice to remember it in certain ways, but really, things like that just distract me. Make me remember too much, in a detrimental way, and it just seems foolish to keep around something that has a negative impact on you.

Besides, it's not like I'll ever "forget".

I just don't need additional things to remind me.

But to each is own.
Thank you all for your comments and thoughts

:)

I have only kept love letters from one of my ex's. I look at them every so often to see how silly and happy in love I once was and tend to drift off into the "What could have been" land while I read them. I always end up laughing when I read them because we were so in love and just pathetic about it.

I'm one of those people that needs real things, especially in the relationship department

I can't hug a memory, or "what could have been".

Doesn't work for me.
But don't get me wrong - it's not that I'm non-sentimental

it's just the opposite.
I relate everything to the woman I love.
And that's why, for my own well being, I have to let go of some things.

discothequeLP said:

mr. BAW, you're a golfer? where do you play?

Anywhere I can, when I can...mostly OC...where in LA are you? Handicap is 10-12; I once had it down to a 6-8 but I work too much....

I live halfway between Coyote Hills and Black Gold; I like Anaheim Hills and the Riverside courses...how about you?

I don't really hang on to love letters that much. I used to, but found myself a little too easily tempted to feel sorry for myself if I had them to remind me of how things used to be. I do have a few cards that I've kept, and some poetry I wrote that I hang on to, but other than that I got rid of all the (well, there weren't that many to tell the truth) love letters/emails a while ago.

if women keep old letters...I am well and truly fucked. I only sent one, and just to one person, but still...damn.

Mr. BAW said:

Anywhere I can, when I can...mostly OC...where in LA are you? Handicap is 10-12; I once had it down to a 6-8 but I work too much....

I live halfway between Coyote Hills and Black Gold; I like Anaheim Hills and the Riverside courses...how about you?

i live up here by LAX, so i usually play most of the courses closer to home (i have a buddy who's a member at Wilshire Country Club and we go out on occasion). I've been down to the OC a couple times though -- I enjoyed Anaheim Hills when i went down there. I played a tournament this summer at the SCGA Golf Club -- you ever been down there?

I guess if something is real, it will come back anyway.

You can hold on to past letters when something is over. But at this point in my life, it's just best to let them go, because so much is still......... up in the air, so to say. I'm practically a kid.

Everything you want to hear

and

everything you can't bear

and for me, circled with a certain...... uncertainty
but at the same time, something so clear.

That's why I can't stand them, because of the contradictions. The certainty, the uncertainty, the reality, the dream. It's too much sometimes.

discothequeLP said:

i live up here by LAX, so i usually play most of the courses closer to home (i have a buddy who's a member at Wilshire Country Club and we go out on occasion). I've been down to the OC a couple times though -- I enjoyed Anaheim Hills when i went down there. I played a tournament this summer at the SCGA Golf Club -- you ever been down there?

I play at a lot of those courses, the SCGA, Oak Quarry, Oak Valley...I play a lot of desert courses during the summers, that's when the rates are low, low low...my nephew is a manager at one of the LaQuinta courses so I'm able to play a number of those for free..I played Trilogy (skin's Game) for free last month, shot a 79 after birdies on the final 2 holes...

If you're in the South Bay, I grew up on the Alondra Park Courses, I went to North High...I also like that Jack Nicklaus course at El Segundo...not too bad.......ever play Rancho Park; I haven't played there in years but I'm up for it...

What clubs are you using; I'm Taylor Made straight across, Never Compromise putter...Precept U-Tri tour ball...tell me about your game.

i haven't played in a while, i should be playing more to catch up for golf season at school. I have a Titleist 983k with a really cool Grafalloy blue shaft -- i tell you, man, it's all in the shafts! i have a couple of the old Callaway Steelheads, and my irons are Mizuno mp-37. i have two Cleveland wedges and i've been changing up my the putters lately -- right now i've stolen my dad's Two-Bar putter.

email me back. . . i don't think this is the right place for golf talk :shifty:

discothequelp@gmail.com

i wrote a letter to someone after something went a bit iffy two weeks into a relationship [long story short - i'm a bit 'shy' and had never been in a relationship, but this girl was fucking beautiful beyond belief, and so nice and I knew she was right for me...BUT, it didn't really work out since I'm not that FORWARD and I ended up feeling rather bad like I'd wasted her time! :(] and I basically told her everything about how I felt for her, and apologised for wasting her time and said i'd love to stay in contact as friends...

i never got a reply, and I spent Glastonbury festival weekend on my own mostly, feeling miserable as many a band pelted out one self-pitying love song after another...and I still hold the pathetic belief that she'll one day just give me a call and say hi and see how I'm doing...!!
now, if i read this thread right, people KEEP THESE LETTERS?! I can't think what she could possibly want with mine! :huh:

Back
Top Bottom