O my god, yesterday i did slap a kid in the face,..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's American Wife said:
Honestly, as parents our hands have been tied and we're raising a nation of brats. I see again and again people trying to negotiate with 3 and 4 year olds..."now Billy, you know that isn't good behavior...please don't do that anymore or we're going to have a time out when we get home." And Billy just continues with what he he was doing because he knows his parents aren't in control...he is.

My aunt & uncle have raised 3 incredible brats. They constantly throw fits if they don't get something (always an unreasonable demand) - until they finally are given what they want. They outeat adults at every meal (while the father watches and says nothing) - this just indicates how they get whatever they want. Their favorite words are NO! and YES! depending on what you're saying to them. They completely rule the roost and the parents are dillusional, smiling and think they are cute. It's horrible to be around them and one of their other cousins called up her mother crying to be picked up when she was spending the day with them.

Those kids need a good smack and some parental control in more ways than one. I shudder to think the sort of lives these kids are going to lead when they are grownups. Nevermind the fact that they are all overweight due to the parents inability to limit the cupcake intake to 1 not 4. The middle child (girl) has been sent home from school field trips since she could not behave herself. Oh yeah- their ages are 12, 8 & 5. :|

The correct way to discipline a child? I think you have to get in early.
Protect them and keep them in the most gentle cocoon of love when they arrive, but when they get mobile and start exploring their world and it's limits, you need to be put the effort with discipline in then. Some kids take longer to learn and have more difficulty accepting, adjusting and learning their place.But by the time they are five they should be quite social and reasonable.

So it seems you met a difficult one rono. You did what you did and the fact you wanted to talk about it here shows it bothered you and you are interested in our opinions.

I strongly agree with deep. You shouldn't hit any one in the face. Look up there at that picture of Bono... eyes,windows to the soul.
Something very degrading about being hit in the face. I always recommend putting yourself in some one else's shoes and imagining how it feels.
I was whipped and whacked when I was a kid but mainly on the legs and behind. I admit to smacking my sons on the behind when they were toddlers. One of them was a real tantrum chucker and people often commented on my patience with him. I had to hang onto his hand very tightly when we went places and he was very difficult to strap into his car seat...oh my oh my, but I rarely hit them and I felt so bad when I did . I never had to deal with them hurting anyone else, they have always been quite good and definitely respectful of others. I have never hit anyone else's child come to think of it.
If you are going to be seeing more of him, you should talk to his parents ...and him.Good luck.

Children a lot phyiscally smaller than us, their minds aren't as developed, so hitting them really is a last resort, you can use "the voice', distraction and reasoning..Usually, and shouldn't be done before or after a certain age. Memories are long and they learn by our example.

Back
Top Bottom