Now that i'm in college...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
I need tips to meeting guys. I've never been in a relationship, and now I have a clean slate to meet lots of new guys of different backgrounds. What suggestions do y'all have for me? When I talk to guys I am confident...myself...I don't act fake...all my life I've been told that's the best way to act when trying to talk to guys. I always ask lots of questions...smile alot...try to show interest, but so far that hasn't worked. Any new suggestions? I'm not looking for sex...just a relationship. A first kiss...something...anything.

OK enough of my rambling.

Oh I hear ya Laura....that was me freshman year of college too!

Try to get to know guys in your classes...after all, you have to have to be able to have SOMEONE to call up for the assignment when you just don't feel like getting out of bed one day! :laugh:

And pick something, or maybe two things, to get involved in....whether College Democrats, some kind of intermural sport, etc.

Even if you don't meet guys to date, you're meeting people and expanding your social circle which could always lead to meeting more guys :up:

Oooohhh I can just see it now: Laura and random hot super liberal dude......a match made in paradise.

Of course, he must also be a U2 fan for this match to work.

:sexywink:

Just be yourself and be cautious, because there will be a lot of guys who ARE just after sex. I went away to a university for a semester (I ended up transferring to a community college to save money...I couldn't fully enjoy myself because I was worried about money all the time). I met and hung out with a lot of guys...and they were fun to kiss and dance with at parties...but none of them were relationship-worthy.

I also won't be going to parties that involve alcohol...at least not this year. It's a dry campus, and i'm just not interested in that. That way i won't be around the drinking crowd. Classes start monday...we'll see how it goes. But I really don't want to go through my freshman year of college and still say "I've never been kissed."

Don't get too hung up on feeling like you have to get your kiss before the end of your freshman year. No need to give yourself unnecessary stress! Although, if you REALLY want a kiss, I'll fly out and kiss you. :sexywink:

You don't need to drink to have fun at college.

I mean, I did...but it doesn't have to be that way. :lol: I did fun sober things too...like sledding and ship watching and...well...that's about it. :wink:

U2democrat said:
A wet campus doesn't sound like alot of fun to me either. I'm goofy as it is...i don't need a substance to get me to act stupid.

Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks, etc.

U2democrat said:
I don't act fake...all my life I've been told that's the best way to act when trying to talk to guys.

that is 1000% correct. if you don't like him, make it clear that you don't; if you like him, make it clear that you do.

now let me give you some tips:

-wear those long, loose skirts, you know the long wrinkly ones.

-always have your hair straightened.

-smile, but don't overdo it. in other words, have a happy face, but don't smile all the time.

-wear a nice, UNIQUE perfume. avoid the cliche.

good luck!

Hmm, any advice for finding good women in college?

I'm not like most people at all, I don't even know if I want a relationship. Wow, this sounds strange, but..... I think I just want to meet friends in college. I don't want keg parties, and I don't want random sex. I don't need to go to college for either, frankly.

I will probably bring a rather businesslike attitude to college, but I don't care. I'm not really there to fool around. But who knows, I'm sure I will loosen up a little.

But then again.... I ....... seeem to have some sort of "anticonformity" personality trait, so...... hmm......

Well, whatever.

======================

U2Dem - the only thing I have to say, and this is for all women:

Know what you want, and if you're serious about your desires, be serious about your standards, and don't compromise them.

There are a lot of different guys in this world. But make sure you put yourself first, especially right now.

Good luck, and feel free to give me any advice about college, or women, or anything at all. I'm rooting for you. :up:

My feeling on the matter is that you need to let it happen more naturally. When you're trying so hard for something, in my experience, the best things don't happen. Most of the nice guys I met during my undergrad were strokes of luck, and not because I was dead set on finding them. I generally think it tends to happen when you're not looking for it, taking you by surprise.

A dry campus? May I dare ask where this is? You're doing good to avoid the alcohol worshipping crowd. It's pure bullshit.

2Hearts said:
A dry campus? May I dare ask where this is? You're doing good to avoid the alcohol worshipping crowd. It's pure bullshit.

Um, that's a little harsh, don't ya think? :wink:

I met guys through friends, at football games, at bars, at work and through my sorority.

Good times...good times. College is what you make of it. Remember to have fun. :D

Edit: Oh! I used to meet guys in the student union and on the quad. I used to take naps on the quad and in the
Union all the time. :drool:

Last edited:
i think joining young dems is a great start, clubs are the way too go. Are you living in the dorms? If so, you'll meet tons of people that way.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Um, that's a little harsh, don't ya think? :wink:

Yes, it was a little harsh. I'll revise my statement to say "Often times, it's pure bullshit."

ILuvLarryMullen said:
i think joining young dems is a great start, clubs are the way too go.

One of my closest friends met her first boyfriend in college at a bible study group. Now, they are engaged. :)

anitram said:
My feeling on the matter is that you need to let it happen more naturally. When you're trying so hard for something, in my experience, the best things don't happen. Most of the nice guys I met during my undergrad were strokes of luck, and not because I was dead set on finding them. I generally think it tends to happen when you're not looking for it, taking you by surprise.

Good advice, as always. :up:

financeguy said:

No offense, but that doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

i teach on a campus that is technically "dry," but students always find a way to get booze anyway. and really, i can't tell you how many first-year students I've talked to (women, mostly) who got unexpectantly drunk their first semester and did stuff they regretted. I'm not anti-drinking, but I think social relationships can pretty easily be cultivated without alcohol...

Our campus is "dry" as well. I go to a pretty small school, so even if drinking was allowed on grounds, it would be pretty lame to have a party...in the dorms, hehe. My school requires you to live on-campus the first two years and it's pretty lame, couldn't WAIT to get out. They don't really care what you do off-campus as long as you're legal age.

Anyway, I met my first and so far only college boyfriend throughmy suitemates. They were a grade older than me so already had a group of guys and I just started tagging along. I wasn't looking to hook-up, but one of their friends broke up w/ his girlfriend and we started hanging out and have been together almost three years. It was kinds weird since his ex lived litterally 4 doors down from me, but that's dorm drama for you.

I would suggest meeting guys through friends, b/c then they can tell you what the guy is really like. If you throw yourself after a bunch of guys in your classes, they could turn out to be real creeps. See if you know any girls who've been there already and maybe they know some decent guys.

Back
Top Bottom