Now I'm paranoid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
I just read a notice that the Norovirus (really severe stomach virus) is spreading through the region and there have been a few unconfirmed cases on my campus. In the summer of 2005 when I went to Europe I saw the Norovirus first hand when half my tour group came down with it...and it was absolutely horrible. Just reading that already gave me sympathy stomach pains...I REALLY don't want to get that. (I'm already sick now with a nasty cough that's been going around).

I'm going to go out and buy Purell and just wash my hands like an OCD person. Any other tips?

I think I had that over the summer-I didn't go to a doctor but all the symptoms were the same. I literally thought I might die. I hope you don't get it, they say the best defense is constant and thorough hand washing. It took me a solid week before I felt better, more like ten days.

Yeah, we've been warned about it here too. It's nothing to get too worked up about it. Just keep your hands clean and don't eat any suspicious foods. ;)

yeah, it broke out in Radford (about 20 min away) recently. it was pretty wild. i haven't heard about any cases on here, but, the story is that Radford students come party here and tend to date the students here (trust me, there is nothing to do in RADford), so, i'm sure it'll make its way over here soon.

I Googled that, sorry I did! I HATE stomach flu, I hate barfing and haven't done it in 6 years.

Last year, we had an outbreak of "butt fungus" in one of our dorms. It was pretty hilarious (for those not living there). Basically, someone came back from a school break with impetigo and it was transfered via the toilet seat. :giggle:

Take lots of vitamins, vitamin C and I take a supplement called Transfer Factor and so far everyone around me has been puking and crapping and I havent gotten sick.

Avoid dorms, cruise ships, and crowded living. Sounds like you are in a dorm though.

I think they wipe down cruise ships after an outbreak. So maybe use disinfectant wipes on door knobs, handles, etc. to prevent it.

b_CST11.jpg

U2democrat said:

I'm going to go out and buy Purell and just wash my hands like an OCD person. Any other tips?

Yeah, skipping out on the Purell would be a good start. I don't believe even they claim that alcohol kills viruses.

Yeah, wash your hands, keep your hands away from your face, generally try to stay healthy.

I swear by green tea, by the way. I drink it every day and I never get sick. It's actually been known to kill foodborne illnesses, so hey :shrug: Worth a try.

:crack:

Now they're telling us if we get sick, to not throw up in the toilets because it would go airborne and we'd have to use bleach on the toilets...we are to go to the Health office and get some nice little blue bags. Right.

green tea huh?

Hey Kaf, I did a green tea search on google and came up with this quote from a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association
The study concluded that "those who drank five cups of green tea per day were 16 percent less likely to die from any cause during the 11-year study than those who drank less than one cup per day."

:lol: bring on the IV bags!

thanks for the tip though! i'm gonna sip some green tea right now and chill with the doggy.

Last edited:
Re: green tea huh?

redhotswami said:
Hey Kaf, I did a green tea search on google and came up with this quote from a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association

:lol: bring on the IV bags!

thanks for the tip though! i'm gonna sip some green tea right now and chill with the doggy.
Less likely to die from ANY cause? :ohmy: So I can throw myself in front of buses and pick fights with big, scary dudes and stuff? Wow.. that stuff is magic! :wink:

Oh, and just another wee tip - Drink it between meals, not during. Green tea inhibits iron absorption :yes: :nerd:

If you have to touch any door handles etc. make sure you have a kleenex or something as a barrier between that and your skin.

:hug: I hope it bypasses you.

Try not to worry too much about it!! I know that's difficult, but when you get it, you get it, and when you don't, you don't :) Just pay extra attention to your hygiene, wash your hands often and change towels/cloths a lot etc.

OK so apparently most of the cases so far are in a different dorm, there's only 1 case that we know of in my dorm. Let's hope it stays that way.

I think I'm more worried about getting it in the middle of class than anything. :yuck:

:pray: for us all! I'm supposed to go see Barack Obama next Saturday and I refuse to get sick :mad:

U2democrat said:
I just read a notice that the Norovirus (really severe stomach virus) is spreading through the region and there have been a few unconfirmed cases on my campus. In the summer of 2005 when I went to Europe I saw the Norovirus first hand when half my tour group came down with it...and it was absolutely horrible. Just reading that already gave me sympathy stomach pains...I REALLY don't want to get that. (I'm already sick now with a nasty cough that's been going around).

When I first started reading your post, I though you were talking about a computer virus. Norovirus . . . it sounds like something you'd get via e-mail :wink:.

Lies I can't believe you haven't thrown up for six years! You lucky girl.

And about the blue bag idea, I agree with the "yeah right" sentiment.

Last edited:
Sadly I'd rather it not be a computer virus...I can afford to do some throwing up but I can't lose stuff on my computer! :lol:

I don't know when the coast will be clear though...when will things be officially "safe"?

U2democrat said:

Now they're telling us if we get sick, to not throw up in the toilets because it would go airborne and we'd have to use bleach on the toilets...we are to go to the Health office and get some nice little blue bags. Right.

Because leaving your dorm and wandering around campus is better if you've got it? :eyebrow:

Just wash your hands a lot. Easiest thing in the world, and it will help more then anything. Be very careful to not touch your face. I'm guilty of constantly pushed my hair back, and I even try to avoid doing that. Don't eat at any buffet style places. Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and drinking lots of stuff that is good for you (orange juice, water, green/red/herbal teas). And try not to touch any public door handles, toilet parts, sinks, etc with your bare hands.

I also drink one of those Danactive Immunity yogurt smoothies ever day and take a dose of Oscilloccinum. I work in very close contact with people (and therefore germs) and I've managed to not pick up anything the three years I've been there.

I have a relative who's got it, and he's only an online college student. Maybe he got it from one of his friends who goes in person. Or maybe it was through the computer from the college, or maybe it's a virus that spreads to humans :hmm:

There are lots of ways to get it. And it is actually very, very common. Colds are the only virus more common. It only becomes an issue when it is heavily concentrated to one area (cruise ships, hotels, restaurants). Most people have probably had it at some point or another. Stomach bugs, food poisoning, or stomach flu are all names that get put to it.

U2dem, try not to worry about it too much. I'm totally paranoid of getting sick with anything, so I know where you are coming from, but the best (and really the only) thing you can do is just take care of yourself. Most of the "preventive" measures recommended are things people should do anyway.

Someone had thrown up in the stairwell this morning and I could still smell it after it had been cleaned :yuck:

Though it could have just been someone who partied a little too hard :shrug:

U2democrat said:

So now all these sick or potentially sick people are wandering around trying to figure out how to safely dispose of the nice little blue bags? Ick!

Back
Top Bottom