Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynetravis

Blue Crack Supplier
As you know I've visited the US a bunch of times this year and I've really enjoyed the sights and the culture.

I was hoping someone could give me a little information about moving and working there. I have had a look on Google for details, but I get different information from different websites.
Most just list the different types of visas available, but I would really like a step by step process.

Is there anyone here who has done this sort of thing and could give me some advice on where to start? I know it is a fairly long process, and I have thought about it before, but I feel like it's something I really want to do now.

Thanks in advance :)

Most just list the different types of visas available, but I would really like a step by step process.

Nobody can really tell you the step-by-step process (or the associated wait times, costs, etc) unless you know exactly what visa you're looking at. So I would think that this would be your first step.

I worked in the US on a temporary visa, and it was a painless process that didn't take longer than a couple of months but my firm had hired an immigration lawyer to do it for me so I pretty much did nothing except sign forms when he needed me to (this type of service can cost several thousand $ however).

If you are still a student, your best bet would surely be the J-1.

It's hard to give a step by step process since there are many different factors to consider and each case and circumstances can be very different. There would be some basic questions that would need answers first like, what is the current status of each party, what countries are you citizens of, would you want to move here indefinitely? Would you intend to get married and if so is (Z) a US citizen? The easiest way would probably be to have a sponsor (US citizen: family member or future spouse). And then you can obtain a work permit through the permanent residence process through spouse, but its a very lengthy process. Obtaining a visa specifically to work here can be harder as the most common work visa (6 year H1B) requires a Master or Bachelors degree normally in an engineering field or similar. So yeah I dont know all the details and could offer some help but I mostly work with H1B's, L-1, (high end employment visas) green cards, family based filings, etc. J-1 is only a 5 month visa and you would need to be enrolled in a university or transfer from one to the other if I'm not mistaken. Best bet is to consult with an attorney but that can be quite pricey. Maybe someone else here has been through the same and can help with some guidance. You can also try signing up to an immigration forum and asking there. This one is the biggest one I believe ImmigrationPortal Forums

J-1 was also for Au Pair and some nursing and art jobs, if I'm not mistaken. But you would need to be enrolled in some program. I did my semester abroad on a J-1, but it's not as open. F-1 is even more limited. On a J-1 or F-1 you are not allowed to work in just any job. For example, I was only allowed to work on-campus or in other university related work, or in the form of an internship. I couldn't just have gone out and worked somewhere in the city.

See, it's all so complicated that's discouraging :(
Non of the categories work in my favour.

Staples can't do anything for me either. When I spoke to my boss about it a while ago he told me to take an unpaid sabbatical and speak to some managers over there and he would provide a reference for me.
But I'm not sure if that's possible or even advisable?

You would need to have a visa that allows you to work at Staples in the US. So it all comes down to one thing: First you need to find out which is your visa. The page of the US embassy provides a good description of all the different visas, their requirements and how to obtain them.

^honestly that still remains the easiest and fastest way to get permanent residency and work permit in the US. Even during the Bush administration, this was one of the fastest processes, because the conservatives believe in not separating families, etc. Which is great for some people.

Not so much for me. I'm here on specialty occupation work visa (H-1B) right now. It took me a while to get that 5 years ago. It became more difficult 2 or 3 years ago when they introduced the lottery system for the quota. So basically because there were so many applicants for the visa, the government decided to use random lottery drawing to fill the quota. So you can be the most qualified person, but if you don't win the lottery, then you can't get the visa.

The biggest issue if you're just starting today is finding an employer who's willing to sponsor you for the work visa. The US has a relatively high unemployment rate right now, and your employer has to prove that you're more qualified than any US person who applies for that job, and thus your employer has to hire a foreign worker (ie. you) instead. This is pretty tough to prove during a recession when there are so few jobs on the market and so many US citizens and permanent residents in the unemployment pool.

I believe there are certain job categories where you can get a different kind of visa, and the requirements are slightly less stringent than H1B, because those jobs are in high demand here. Also, if you're lucky enough to get a university, college, or non-profit organization to sponsor you, you won't be subjected to that quota. But it is very unlikely that universities will employ foreign workers for their administrative staffs. They're one of the most coveted employers here because of the benefits they provide. So far I've heard they only sponsor for professorship positions.

I don't mean to discourage you, but it is a pretty hard and arduous process for many people. Only a few people went through a relatively smooth process to come and work here. I had to pay for some of the attorney fees myself, while some of my friends had their employers paying for everything.

What country are you from, if you don't mind me asking? The US government also has a Diversity Lottery program that gives out a set number of green cards (permanent residencies which means you can work and live here legally) per year based on lottery drawing. You just have to enter the drawing by filling out a form and sending a picture. There are certain countries that are restricted from participating because of the high number of immigrant petitions from those countries. Go to the US State department website to find out more about this. Just do a search on Diversity Lottery program, and make sure you go to the website of the US State department. There are some agencies out there who try to make money off of this process. You don't need a lawyer or a third party for this! Just go to the website, fill in the form during the registration period, attach a photo that has to meet all the requirements, and you're done. Well, then you have to wait and pray that they pick your name...

There's a little bit of a update.

Long story short, Staples in Glendale requested my personnel file, which I've just mailed today :D

It has to be a sponsorship by a US company.
They told me at this end that Staples UK couldn't do anything about that, but when we spoke to the GM at the Glendale store he told me that him and his HR could arrange that for me. He said he has transferred employees to and from his store quite a few times.

As for which visa it is; I'm hoping it's done or can be done on the L1 Company Transfer visa. The H1 requires Bachelors or equivilant degrees, but I don't have those.

Tis a waiting game now, the ball is in their court. I just have to hope and pray for a home run :pray:

It has to be a sponsorship by a US company.
They told me at this end that Staples UK couldn't do anything about that, but when we spoke to the GM at the Glendale store he told me that him and his HR could arrange that for me. He said he has transferred employees to and from his store quite a few times.

As for which visa it is; I'm hoping it's done or can be done on the L1 Company Transfer visa. The H1 requires Bachelors or equivilant degrees, but I don't have those.

Tis a waiting game now, the ball is in their court. I just have to hope and pray for a home run :pray:

I hope everything works out for you. I am curious to hear an update on this, if you don't mind. Because I thought L visas are only for executives or people with exceptional skills from multinational companies. But I could be wrong, I know very little about the L visas. And if the GM at the Glendale store said he has transferred employees to his store before, then that means it's possible. Good luck and welcome to the waiting game of legal immigration to the US! :D

Wayne, you need to use the Easy button. :wink:

easy-button.jpg

Back
Top Bottom