Need Fresh Brains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
I've thought over every permutation and I have a pretty fair idea of what to do but some input from, unbiased, sources could be useful.

Situation basically one of a strong fondness to a girl, victim of bad timing and overthinking (surprise), played my cards close to my chest for a year and finally told her exactly how I felt when neither of us would have to deal with being around eachother. So tack another ten months or so on top of that in solitude (the good kind) and i've basically gained the independence and self-respect that are prerequisites to any emotional entanglements.

I'm fine with that, there are a couple of months next year when our paths cross but thats all a blank slate and between intelligence, charm and not being a creep it could play out alright; but if I don't feel anything towards her or she's involved with someone then thats fine too since i've got everything setup and ready to go.

So got concert tickets, line of thinking is that if I was to go out of my way to find said girl, talk, charm and if the situation allowed ask her out to concert then it would be a flop; I mean were strangers to eachother, as strongly as I may have felt and quite possibly still feel thats all just interactions in my brain and the moment was lost quite a while ago - that isn't mutually exclusive to doing it properly next year but from where I am sitting it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

The flipside of this is that I need someone to go with, I am leaning towards a girl who I suspect has a thing for me - smiles, conversations, personal stuff and half a dozen cues in body language that it's fun to pick up on - but asking her out for a not-a-date if you will, if I ask her out on a date then it implies that I am interested, it demands that emotional level which is pretty hard to fake. If I just take her out to a show and coffee then thats not expected, no pressure, which is more comfortable - and that plays in my favour if there was any clicking.

Firstly any input on the course of action is appreciated, since i'm biased and human behaviour is pretty fuzzy; it probably won't change my mind but things to think about are good.

Secondly i'm thinking two steps ahead for all these possibilities, I don't imagine any of these potentialities lasting to long, love fades and situations change, it's just a new round.

Thirdly, while it may seem that I am some sort of a computer this is basically the product of thinking through what needs to be done over and over, I feel but thats a matter between me and possibly someone I trust, there are much more interesting things in the world than people - so if im interested in a person then they must be really interesting.

Either go with the sure thing out of the two or get Nash in here to break out some mad Game Theory on this shit right here, young buck.

Hey, i'm more a palaeontologist than schizophrenic mathematician; so naturally I would need Maynard Smith's mad skills, although that nicely proportioned body, dangerously symmetrical face and clear complexion do make it a good call, oh yes, I could go on :wink:

Well if you want to do it that way, there's got to be a Photoshop script to analyze their features to find out which one is the next queen of Narnia, or whatever this thread was trying to figure out :up:

Hey it all gets churned through my head, but i'm not that partial to Lewis and those prior points just reinforce what i'm thinking; which is just fine.

Last edited:
Go with the girl who shows interest in you. It's not worth worrying about the girl you're hoping would come around, at least that's what I've learned from experience in a similar situation.

anitram said:
Do you talk to girls in this sort of prose? :wink:

Will I Dream?

hal9000.jpg

A_Wanderer said:
Thirdly, while it may seem that I am some sort of a computer this is basically the product of thinking through what needs to be done over and over,

Actually you sound like a lot of females I know. I didn't know guys thought this way too. Fascinating - but I do believe you are a rarity.

Can you ask the girl you like the most and then if she is not interested ask a friend. Keep in mind, if you ask the girl who is very interested in you, she may analyze things too much also ;) and read into coffee and a show as you liking her a lot, esp. if she has been consciously sending you signals. She may think that you have finally picked up on them and are responding positively. It might be quite upsetting for her to go to said concert etc. etc. and then have you not be interested...so more harm and foul than was intended.

anitram said:
Do you talk to girls in this sort of prose? :wink:

It's wild, huh?

Dude, you are very robot-like, and I'm so glad you referenced that kind of thinking at the end of your post.

You need to chill the fuck out occasionally and stop stripping human emotion away from everything and everyone! I vote go with the girl who gives you the cues. She might make you laugh, and you could even have a thing called fun - which is a fascinating cerebral reaction to external stimulii.

:drool:

Ah, Wanderer, I'm sure you'll choose the girl most genetically suited to preserve and enhance your bloodline.

Since you're going to see the girl you like anyway in a little while when you don't have to go out of your way, then ask the other girl (which appears to be what you're going to do anyway).

I don't think you lack feeling, I just think you feel safer with thought. Unfortunately feelings don't always lend themselves easily to reason.

" there are much more interesting things in the world than people - so if im interested in a person then they must be really interesting." Leap of logic there. Interesting to you, but not
a priori interesting, but I'll give you a pass.

Last edited:
I picked that up before I posted, but I wouldn't fisk myself :wink: , after all nobody needs an excuse to avoid people.

Last edited:
Self deprecation is useful :wink:

Well the second one got caught theiving so she's out, now down that list to the tallest and the blondest one.

Touche :wink:

Actually I pinged her an e-mail asking her to drop me a line ASAP, she just got back from overseas and could be good to catch up anyway.

I don't really need it, i'm just that awesome :wink:

It's not that I don't feel, it's just that I have had to keep them buried down, and the reasons for that are melting away quickly; and thus I can leave all that behind as what I would consider a good man.

Theres nothing that I would want more than to have the girl I really like just come into my arms, but at this point we are really just strangers, and theres no obligation to or from her and I am thinking that given enough time I can find that with someone else.

Last edited:
"Confidence is key.":wink:

You're an interesting mix. I can't quite figure you out (quite a bit of it deliberate on your part, I'm sure) Whether that's vulnerability or gamesmanship--or both--I don't have a clue. Either way I can appreciate the verbal sparring.

I never thought robot. You're much too funny for one thing. Intelligent, certainly. Young--yeah, that too. You remind me of a throwback to another century (all your knowledge of modern science and futuristic inclinations aside). I haven't figured out which century yet. I'll let you know if I do.

But, yeah, I never thought you lacked feelings. I figure you had a good reason for shutting down and a good reason for considering opening up. Maybe it's time to close one door and open another. Maybe it's not. You'll figure it out. (Just be sure you're not rationalizing which is obviously antithema to reasoning. Do what you need to do, but know why you're doing it.)

Back
Top Bottom