My wallet got stolen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
Tonight, when I was at Park Meadows, I noticed my wallet was missing out of my purse. I thought had been especially dingy that morning, because I had taken my wallet out to put my financia aid check in...it's so typical of me to leave the wallet sitting on my bed and my purse downstairs. So I didn't freak.

But after I tore my house apart I did. I realized there was just no possible place it could be, but I still thought I must have lost it somewhere--my purse is always spilling--and I never let it out of my sight.

And then I realized that was not true. I had stuck it under one of the desks at work, but had switched desks. And that someone *had* been back at that desk, a stranger. A stranger I allowed to use the phone, did not keep an eye on and who was acting very suspiciously. I burst into tears and started cancelling my credit cards, my debit card--which sure enough, had been used at 3 gas stations. And worst of all, a financial aid check that is over $300 because I was going to cash it...not to mention my driver's license and Social Security card. This could haunt me forever.

I just feel so sick, used, stupid. It was so dumb not to watch this person, when it was obvious they were a grungy, weird person--I try to be non-judgemental and look what happens. And it was so retarded to forget my stuff was there. It was insanely childish to switch desks anyway just so I could look out the hallway. The campus police WARNED us of the growing theft problem, with people taking stuff from under desks just like mine.

It makes me cry to think of my stuff (even something like credit cards and my new wallet) being handled by some filthy thief. And the havoc they can wreck on my life--what if the school refuses to put a stop on my check? What if they steal my identity?I am just so freaked out and upset right now.

My dad is a cop. He says he will get the purchase records and track the person down. I will certainly be watching for them at school and perhaps they should hope my dad finds them first.

I've watched a few of my family members struggle with identity theft. If you've had your purse stolen it's the biggest thing you need to worry about. If you haven't already, make sure you put a fraud alert on your credit report at the three credit agencies: www.experian.com www.equifax.com and www.transunion.com . This will stop anyone from using your credit to open fraudulent accounts. Also make sure to look at the government's identity theft website: www.consumer.gov/idtheft/ .

:hug: I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope your dad does find this thief and gives him what he deserves.

Thanks, TG. :) :hug: I'll check out these links. My dad already mentioned the fraud alert on my credit report, so I'm going to do that. I'll definitely use these links, though.

I was confused by the Social Security website, they said to file a complaint with consumer.org, but I get the impression from them it's only if you have proof they are using your identity? I don't have that, yet. Should I send one anyway?

They didn't take my purse, just the wallet--but *everything* except my Student ID was in the wallet. :(

I'm so sorry for you. My friend had her purse stolen and its a nightmare if you all your bank cards and everything in it

:hug:

How horrible :(
I hope your dad finds this person and nothing really bad comes from them having all these cards of yours.
Good luck with it.
:hug:

You can put a flag on your social security number.. I did it when my brothers wallet got stolen when he was in the hospital :angry: I learned a lesson, not to carry my social security card with me.

You can actually just call these 3 numbers and put a flag on your # that way if anyone tries to obtain new credit cards or anything with your number, they will contact you first to confirm this.

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
Experian: 1-888-397-3742

AvsGirl41 said:

I was confused by the Social Security website, they said to file a complaint with consumer.org, but I get the impression from them it's only if you have proof they are using your identity? I don't have that, yet. Should I send one anyway?

No, you don't need to file a report unless you find that they are using your identity. I only pointed you to that website because it has a lot of useful information in case something does happen in the future.

Since your Social Security number doesn't change, there's always going to be a chance someone will use it to fraudulently apply for credit. Putting a fraud alert on your credit report only lasts, I believe, for six months to a year. During that time you would hope the thief would give up, but I've known people who have experienced otherwise. You can keep extending the fraud alert indefinitely, though. Unfortunately this is something you're going to have to keep an eye on for several years.

Thanks for the sympathy and advice, everyone. :) :hug:

I got a call this morning from my one credit card, informing me of a bunch of charges made. They called last night at 8:00, but I was still out. Apparently, something like 10 charges were made in an hour. All gas stations and McDonalds. So, it seems I will not get off without paying $50.00 of those charges, unless they wave it...

I shut down my bank accounts and opened new ones. I am confused about my checking account--they may have wiped it out, but the bank says I'm not responsible.

I filed a police report with the campus police, they were not helpful. My dad pulled up purchase lists and they are willing to give him the videos.

All that's left to do is flag my credit report. Hopefully, we have stopped them in their tracks and may even catch them...

Hopefully they will not steal your identity! :hug:

I had my wallet stolen about a month ago. I do not carry my SSN card, and have de-activated all my credit cards (otherwise, I might clear out a local record store or two).

Luckily, the thief was too stupid to use my ATM card.

avie -

i really do hope nothing comes of this...and that they catch him before he does this to someone else :hug:

when i got my license i memorized my SSN and driver's license number, because you're not sposed to carry your SSN card with you, and i figure it can't hurt to know the driver's lic. number.

i don't know if they do this in colorado, but in south dakota they let you choose your DL#, which is all fine and good, but many of them choose their social security number.....how stupid is that?!

anyway avie, i do hope this all blows over and the only lasting effect it has on you is just the lesson to never let your purse farther than your arm can reach. :hug:

A similar thing happened to me last year. I was studying for finals in the library, went to go print something out, and when I came back...no wallet. I had my Social Security Card in there, so I was in pretty much the same boat you are in now. Luckily, I haven't had any problems since then, and hopefully you won't either.

But what was the reason your credit card company gave for not waving that last $50? Because that's not really what's supposed to happen. As far as I know, what they're supposed to do when you report that fraudulent charges were made with your card is start an investigation, go to the places that the charges were made, and check your signature against the ones on the receipts that the cashier took. If they don't match, the vendor is responsible for ALL of the charges, not you. You should call them again and insist, because you paying any of the charges that asshole racked up is totally absurd.

Hopefully, most of the stress from this is waning. It sounds like you're doing exactly what you should be, so you should be just fine. :)

sorry to hear about that Av....it would be nice to be able to relax and trust people, but you have to be ever vigilant.
I had my handbag stolen some years ago, photo license, credit/ATM cards, quite a bit of cash etc.But the thing I felt the most loss about was a letter from a teenage days friend and a small photograph of us together at the beach...totally meaningless to anyone else, totally irreplaceable for me. I've learned not to carry personal things like that with me.
My friend has her two eldest daughters in first and second year Uni. She struggles with the cost. Someone stole one of their laptop computers recently.
Theft::down:
:(

Good luck:hug:
:up: to your dad. One of my son's good friends just got accepted in to the Police Academy

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
But what was the reason your credit card company gave for not waving that last $50? Because that's not really what's supposed to happen. As far as I know, what they're supposed to do when you report that fraudulent charges were made with your card is start an investigation, go to the places that the charges were made, and check your signature against the ones on the receipts that the cashier took. If they don't match, the vendor is responsible for ALL of the charges, not you. You should call them again and insist, because you paying any of the charges that asshole racked up is totally absurd.

Good to know! I don't know if they are going to hold me responsible--all my credit card bills have a thing on them saying I'm responsible for no more than the first $50.00, but my dad thinks they probably will waive it.

But if they don't, I will insist based on what you told me. :)

Using his connections, my dad got a detective assigned to my case. :hyper: They swear they will catch the person. So far, the campus police hasn't even forwarded the paperwork--maybe theft would be less rampant on campus if they'd take reports more seriously. :angry:

Thanks again, everyone, for all your kind words and advice. :hug:

By charges, do you mean the fees attracted with making a purchase? Either way, you definately shouldn't have to pay. Like Hallelujah said, they cant charge you for any of it. Even if a card hasn't been reported stolen, anyone at any time can put a query on any transaction made with a bank card. This is the reason why merchant services in banks pay all that money for insurance. The card is still their property (and with a credit card essentially still their money) and it is a service for you. You only ever pay for what you use. Obviously you didn't make any of those transactions and they shouldn't be charged back to you. Any fees that incur from those transactions are also not your responsibility. You can't pay a bank fee on a transaction that wasn't yours!
Keep at them until they waiver it. I worked for a while in merchant services in one of Aus's largest banks and I cant think that the laws would be any different for you guys.
Good luck Av!

Back
Top Bottom