My Mom is going to be pissed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My heart goes out to you, Fitz - that's a tough situation all around. :hug:

I've got my own 'these-people-can't-possibly-be-related-to-me!' horror stories, but suffice it to say that knowing what some of my family members have done or tried to do to each other, along with the stories you guys have shared, just strengthens my conviction that some human parents would do well to follow the natural world & eat their own young. The problem, of course, is knowing which ones to eat & which ones to feed & water. :slant:

Sorry to hear about this, Fitz.

I'm assuming your aunt has either power of attorney for, or guardianship of, your grandmother, otherwise she shouldn't have been able to place her in a nursing home to begin with. If that's the that case, then unfortunately she does indeed have the right to do so without compromising with any of her siblings about it, or even notifying them. Your mom can speak with the nursing home ombudsman if she has reason to believe your grandmother is receiving inadequate care there, but other than that there's probably very little she can do. Is there another sibling who actually wants and is prepared to care for your grandmother in their own home, or is the problem basically just the failure to discuss the nursing home move first? Hiring a trained family mediator might be something worth considering if this situation of neither side feeling willing to talk to the other continues.

I'm the guardian for my mother (she's brain-injured and lives in a nursing home) and have been fortunate that there haven't been any serious disagreements with my siblings about her care thus far. It's not necessarily evil for the child who has legal authority and has been the primary caretaker to place their parent in a nursing home despite some siblings' disapproval, but making and executing that decision in secret ostensibly to avoid confrontation does seem worrisomely irresponsible, and abusive towards the siblings on a personal level.

Last edited:
Thanks Yolland.

No, the main issues was the complete non-disclosure by my Aunt.

My Mom, nor any of her other siblings, don't have a problem in the slightest with my Aunt and Uncle not being able to care for my Grandmother anymore and placing her in a home. Had my Aunt had the decency to call my Mother and inform her of my Aunt and Uncle's decision, my Mom would've been completely fine with that.

And yes, my Aunt does have power of attorney. And to date, she has taken care of my Grandmother just fine.

Back
Top Bottom