My last 6 days in the hospital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGi

New Yorker
This past Friday morning I went to the E.R. and was admitted to the hospital on Friday afternoon. I finally was able to leave the hospital tonight (after 6 days) and will be at my parents house for a few days. I was in the hospital with Meningitis. If you would like to know you can read below. If not please read the last paragraph so you will become aware of the symptoms of meningitis. This is infection is no joke. Had I not known the symptoms, without question I would be dead because of the type I had.

Meningitis is the inflammation of the meninges, the inner protective covering of the brain and spinal column. There are two main types of Meningitis, bacterial and viral. Viral will leave one with some terrible symptoms, but that is about all most of the time. Viral Meningitis has to run its course like other viruses. Bacterial Meningitis on the other hand can kill a person in 8-24 hours or leave one with issues such as brain damage. I ended up with bacterial Meningitis. I know someone whom this infection killed. So I was pretty scared on Friday morning. I am really lucky.

There are several main forms of Bacterial Meningitis, they are Neisseria meningitidis (also called Meningococcus), Streptococcus pneumoniae (also called Strep pneumonia), Haemophilus influenzae (also called H flu), and the other common form of bacterial meninigitis is, Listeria. My cultures never grew out so the type of bacteria I had was never determined for sure.

I went to bed on Thursday night feeling normal at 11:00 PM. 3 hours later at 2:00 AM on Friday morning I woke up with the most severe headache I am sure I will ever have. I also had a fever and a backache. I took 3 aleve's, those did nothing. By 4:00 my headache had increased, my fever was still high and my neck was becoming stiff. By 5:00 AM, I took 3 more aleve's, again no effect. I was convinced I had Meningitis. I was aware of the symptoms because a friend of my family's died from Neisseria Meningitidis in 98. I was kind of scared at this point. I waited till 8:00 AM and then had my roommate take me to the hospital. I knew if I did not go at this time I would probably die by afternoon on Friday if it happened to be bacterial.

When I got to the E.R. I told the nurse working the window at the front desk I need a doctor because I had meningitis. She looked at me like I was crazy. Upon being called back to the E.R. after the doctors initial eval, they quickly hooked up an IV, drew some blood from this location for some bacterial tests (they also did the same from another location on my hand). Next I was then given an pain killer via IV called Toradol and 2 perkaset's orally. The E.R. Doc treated me aggressively (Thank God) and went ahead and started the IV antibiotic, Rocephin. Next the doctor performed an LP (lumbar puncture aka spinal tap). The LP is what diagnoses Meningitis. If you have a viral case your white cell count may be in the 200-300 range. My WBC count was 2200 and 90% neutrophils (if I am correct about 65% of WBC is normal). I was moved to an isolated room in the E.R. to wait for the official word. When my headache returned I was given 2 more perkaset's, which did nada. I was then give an IV dose of morphine. I was finally moved to a room around 4:00 or 5:00 (I can't remember). There I received another dose of morphine and from 9:00 - 12:00 3 additional antibiotics, as well as, an IV does of Benadryl. I received the same 4 antibiotics on Saturday. I also spent Saturday not being able to tolerate light and being sick all morning. I did not eat anything either Friday or Saturday. Sunday, I felt better, but I could still not tolerate light. The antibiotics were cut to two different drugs, twice a day via IV. I was finally able to eat though. Monday night I was cut down to receiving just rocephin twice a day via IV and was feeling good, but very tired. Tuesday more of the same. Today, (Wednesday) a PICC Line (peripherally inserted central catheter) was inserted into me so that I could go home to receive the 9 remaining days of IV antibiotics I need. A PICC line is a silicon tube that is inserted into one of the larger veins of the upper arm (about mid way between the elbow and shoulder). It is then threaded up through the arm to the superior vena cava and stops just outside the right atrium. A PICC line can be used for various things including Chemo and IV drug treatments for longer terms. I will take a picture of this. Let me know if any of you want to see it.

Tomorrow, I receive a delivery of the rest of my medicine as well as the equipment to runs the IV's. I got very lucky in that I had bacterial meningitis and am walking away both alive and with no side effects. This is due only to the fact that I knew the symptoms and the doctor treated aggressively, saving my life.

Now, the part that matters most. The symptoms of both viral and bacterial meningitis:
The main smptoms
- headache (a bad one)
- neck pain (stiff neck)
- fever
- rash (if Neisseria meningitidis)

also
- nausea
- vomiting
- trouble looking into light
- seizures are possible at later stages.

http://www.meningitis.org/
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/meningococcal_g.htm
http://bcs.uta.edu/StudentData/MeningitisInfo.jsp?webschedule

If you have bacterial meningits you can go into septic shock (internal organs not woking) if not caught soon enough. There are vacinations for some forms of meningits. Look into them if you feel like they would be a good idea for you. Especially you college kids. The college campus is where Neisseria meningitidis is found most often and where my friend who died from meningitis caught the bacteria. Just make yourself aware.

peace.
- DiGi

Last edited:
oh my god, digi...im glad your alive and recovering.

your in my prayers... be safe.

:hug:

Crap DiGi.
I'm so glad you knew what was happening. Knowledge does indeed save lives.
If you feel up to it, pics would be interesting to give more of an idea of how important the after treatment is.

Thanks for posting it, please take it easy matie.

oh my god :hug:! Digi, I am sorry to see you have been ill and in the hospital. I know it is no joke, my niece 1 day after she was born had menigitis and was admited to the NICU and almost died. :( she fought hard and survived. I hate to see you are dealing with this. I wish you the best with your recovery. I am truly happy to see you are ok. this is always the biggest fear of my mother when ever I or anyone of my siblings fall ill.

Last edited:
thank god you're ok, digi. and thank you for this information.
life is so very fragile. please take care of yourself.

Oh my god this is insane. I am so glad you are ok. Do you have any idea how you contracted this? Very scary. Thank you for educating us, you have probly just saved some lives.

you sure have had a rough time of it DiGi.
I'm glad you are made of tough stuff and were aware of early symptoms...sorry about you losing your friend earlier. I'm glad you have your parents to take care of you. Best wishes to them, no doubt they have been very worried about you.
When I moved to where I live now, some time ago, a neighbour had ( whom i hadn't met) had just died of meningitis and I was warned about drinking the ground water...it made me nervous. Meningicoccal is a virus that has been raging through our school populations this past couple of years.Ithad similar symptoms...maybe it is the same thing?

You take great care, get your strength back.
peace to you too
good luck :hug:

Holy crap. :crack:

Sooo glad to here you are on the recovery. And also glad you know the symptoms. Thanks for the info.

any idea how you contracted this? (I know Sicy asked too).

Digi-
Sounds like a horrific expierence.
Were all glad you pulled thru.
You have many friends here.

DB9

DiGi, I am sorry you were so sick, and I'm glad you are on the road to recovery.
Thank you for your thoughtful post of information on meningitis.
C.W. Post, where I'm taking graduate courses, sent out a letter about a week ago warning people about this disease and urging that we get inoculated against it. I'm going to do so in the very near future.
Take care of yourself, DiGi :hug:

Oh, Digi! :hug: x a million

I am so sorry you've had to go through this, but it looks like you've been smart and strong. And thanks for caring about us enough to warn us of the symptoms. I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly and quickly. :hug:

What a horrible experience Digi...thank God you knew what it was and made the doctors listen. Sometimes that's pretty hard to do.

I had a baby cousin who came down with this and kept getting sent home from the ER with antibiotics with the thought that it was an ear infection or minor virus. He died within a week...he was only 4 weeks old :(

They didn't diagnose him correctly until his autopsy.

This is indeed a scary ass illness and anyone who even thinks they have it should get straight to a doctor.

:|

I could have contracted it anywhere really. I volunteer at one of the hospitals near me on Tuesday mornings; however, I doubt I got it there. I think if I had I would have got sick sooner.

Chances are that I picked it up on Wednesday evening or Thursday according to the infectious disease doc who took the case after I left the E.R.. May have been at work, at the store, on the street, who knows. Chances are some one at work was acting as a host for the bacteria, my immune system was down (which it was, I was very overtired last week) and the infection happened.

Meningitis is transfered as a respiratory illness so someone could have sneezed or coughed around me and that could have done it. Had my immune system been at full thortle the same thing could have happened and my body may have been able to fight it off. So start covering your nose and mouth when you sneeze and cough if you do not do so already. Stay rested.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes. You all are so nice.

BAW - I am sorry about your cousin.

DiGi, I got your e-mail about this and I'm glad you're fine!!! :hug:

Thanks for informing us about the symptoms, complications, etc.

Take it easy.

My brother had symptoms like that once and we thought he had meningitis its happeened to him twice in a year he gets really bad headaches - we still dont know whats wrong with him he needs a CAT scan - but its always good to check it out incase :up:

Im glad your doing better now! :)

:shocked:

I can't believe this...Thank goodness you're alright.
Thank you for sharing the symptoms with us, I know you educated me this morning.
Mrs.Clayton

That's really scary. :( I'm so glad you're okay, DiGi and thank you for educating people about the symptoms of meningitis - it's something everyone should know about.

DiGi, I'm SO glad you're okay. :hug: Let me know if there's anything I can do (I don't know what I can do from England, though, unless you want some albums or singles or something ;)).

Thanks for posting the symptoms. Sam almost died from this when he was eleven. :( Fortunately, I was vaccinated for one of it last month as part of registering with the NHS, or I'd be worried since my immune system has been completely non-existent recently.

DiGi...
I am so relieved and happy that you are alright...and that it was caught in time!! And kudos to the ER docs that treated you aggressively.....and thank god you were aware of the symptoms...
and acted quickly...
I think I'll echo Sicy's sentiment when she said that you just saved lives...it's true!!
It turns out meningitis is going around like rapid fire....there's a scare in my area right now...no confirmed cases as of yet...but you just increased my awareness and I thank you dearly for that.
Please take care of yourself...follow up on your iv meds...and take it easy...full recovery is important!

Last edited:
wow. i'm really glad you're ok. holy shit. i'm really glad you knew what the symptoms are, that's extrmely scary. thanks for posting the information about it. i didn't know any of that. they won't admit us to school here without meningitis vaccinations, so all i knew was that it was serious and life-threatening. i'm glad you recognized the symptoms right away and the doctors didn't give you a crap time telling you you were overreacting or anything.

:hug: take care. glad you're going to be alright.

Back
Top Bottom