My Heritage/Nationality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WildHoneyAlways said:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why someone would care what people call themselves?
If someone want to claim to be 100% Wookie, let them. Who cares? :shrug:

In the scheme of things no. I'm curious as I don't live in the USA nor am I of recent immigrant stock. I don't understand this 100% blood stock line business. I've never heard anyone other than Lies make such a comment and she is implying that many people in the USA make such comments. I've not set foot in the USA nor met many people from the USA.

I don' t understand why a persons stock is so important to require repeated mentioning. Theres a few different answers.

a) Lies is not proud to be from the USA for some reason

b) Lies is overly proud to be of Netherlands stock and feels the need to mention it frequently for some reason

c) or theres a more sinister interpretation of her pride in her Aryan roots

d) or something else entirely

I don't know Lies very well so I wouldn't like to make a decision on the comments so far ie I still don't know where shes coming from with her repeated comments.

Maybe not of interest to you but I'm quite fascinated by this topic. It's new to me and I'm a curious creature.

Well, she's got a 100% Dutch name, that's for sure! And it's the Netherlands, not Holland (for anybody that called my country that). Holland is just two provinces of the Netherlands.

I don't care if they want to call themselves Dutch. Look at the amount of Americans that call themselves Irish, even though they've only had a great-grandfather or whatever that came from Ireland. (not all of them of course, some people are actually Irish).

Dutch Partygirl said:
Well, she's got a 100% Dutch name, that's for sure! And it's the Netherlands, not Holland (for anybody that called my country that). Holland is just two provinces of the Netherlands.

I don't care if they want to call themselves Dutch. Look at the amount of Americans that call themselves Irish, even though they've only had a great-grandfather or whatever that came from Ireland. (not all of them of course, some people are actually Irish).

thats because the irish get eveywhere... :lol:
i think it would be a challenge to find someone who DOESN'T have irish in them somehwhere down the line... my grandmother was quarter irish therefore i'm 1/16th irish!

Last edited:
Dutch Partygirl said:

See, I find that weird too. If you want to compare with Australia, ie where I live, we have something like 30-40% of the population that claim some kind of Irish heritage but the only people who call themselves Irish are the recent immigrants. We also don't celebrate St Pats day the way the USA people do even though we're technically "more" Irish and more recently than them.

I don't get it. Theres not many people from the USA here in Perth, the odd Texan but thats about it. There might be more in Sydney but not in Perth, nor the outback, so I'm really unfamiliar with this logic.

digsy said:

thats because the irish get eveywhere... :lol:
i think it would be a challenge to find someone who DOESN'T have irish in them somehwhere down the line... my grandmother was quarter irish therefore i'm 1/16th irish!

I don´t have a single drop of Irish blood running through my veins! :wink:

I have an irish bf but I´m not gonna make the typical joke yous are thinking about! :lol:

I think people just like to feel like they belong to something :shrug:
Whether it be a country, or a family line, or whatever, it feels a bit comforting knowing you came from "someplace"

My ancestors were sausagemakers! :hyper:

I guess for one, I am proud of my Dutch Heritage. Sure, I'm proud to be an American, but I think what LMpop Angel said kind of rings true to me.

In Grand Rapids, MI, where I live now, there are so many little pockets. One side of the city has a huge Polish group, one side has a huge Hispanic community, and there's Dutch, and African-American, and even Italian. We are all American, but I am just proud to be Dutch in the sense that nobody in my family line is not dutch. Does this makes sense?

Edit: I like sour Jelly Bellys

:crack:

From my end... I have never understood the "American" (don't get me started on the fact that the USA calls itself America :lol: ) thing of people going

I am Irish-Dutch-German-Italian-Spanish-Japanese-and hmm a little Portuguese

:crack:

Hmmm no you're not all those things. You're american :shrug:

I mean it is a little bit different when you can make statements such as the ones Lies, Sicy, April can make. But when people rattle off pretty much every nation in the world...

As for myself, I am Mexican. Don't ask me what kind of Mexican. Just Mexican. Most people in Latin America are just the country they're from. Sure, you get your ocassional pretentious people that feel the need to state that a granparent was spanish, italian, german or whatever but it is certainly not as prevalent as it is here. And when this happens in Latin America it doesn't necessarily mean pride for one's heritage...

Last edited:
:huh: Maybe this should've been a thread on whether or not "American" is a valid ethnic identity in the same way that "Dutch" or "Italian" are. Or whether anyone outside white America cares.

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:

Well if she were Aryan she wouldn't she be from India? :huh:

From Dictionary.com:
Ar·y·an Audio pronunciation of "Aryan" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (âr-n, r-)
n.
1. Indo-Iranian. No longer in technical use.
2. A member of the people who spoke the parent language of the Indo-European languages. No longer in technical use.
3. A member of any people speaking an Indo-European language. No longer in technical use.
4. In Nazism and neo-Nazism, a non-Jewish Caucasian, especially one of Nordic type, supposed to be part of a master race.

^ simultaneous post

Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
Well if she were Aryan she wouldn't she be from India?

In origin that is what it means, but Nazi race science changed all that ("Aryan-Nordics" vs. "Jewish-Semitic"). Apparently the implication here is that LivLuv may have sinister leanings in that direction.

It's a sick thing to even suggest, and patently absurd too.

Last edited:
Why shouldnt somebody be interested or connected to their roots? :shrug:
America is the "melting pot" People aside from the Native Americans came here from other places and settled. There was no real intial culture or race, which means we have diverse pasts. There's nothing wrong with interest in that imo

And I know of people on this board who have absolutely no pride in being from this country, saying they want to move to Canada, that they are ashamed to be from here and so forth. Maybe they should be the ones the comments are directed at as opposed to somebody who is talking about where their family came from.

u2bonogirl said:

America is the "melting pot" People aside from the Native Americans came here from other places and settled. T

Well, that is what I am saying... saying I am x, Y, Z, A and B is not exactly evidencing any sort of "melting"?

:lol:

It doesn't bother me as much as I find it funny when people say stuff like that and then can't back any of that heritage up. Again cases like Lies' etc. where is is actually involved in the heritage, I have nothing but respect for. :)

u2bonogirl said:
America is the "melting pot" People aside from the Native Americans came here from other places and settled. There was no real intial culture or race, which means we have diverse pasts.

What do you mean by "initial culture"? Are you saying that Native American culture is not real and doesn't count? :|

My "technical" term for those folks is.... Mutt :laugh:
I have an ex boyfriend who was like 10 things but insisted on being proud of his 1/100 native american genes :scratch:

Since Ive only got 2 things in me I can sort of pick the country that is the most cool at the moment and run with it :lol:

Niamh_Saoirse said:

What do you mean by "initial culture"? Are you saying that Native American culture is not real and doesn't count? :|

I think she means since they're "native" to the land and already had their own culture they were mired in? :shrug:

I'll get out of this discussion now since I'm no good really past the "I'm half n half" part. :wave:

u2bonogirl said:
America is the "melting pot" People aside from the Native Americans came here from other places and settled. There was no real intial culture or race, which means we have diverse pasts.

As Shag pointed out, though, every Western country is like that. Why is America unique in having citizens who insist on being considered another nationality? I can understand it coming from the children of immigrants, but not from someone whose parents and grandparents were born in the US.

meegannie said:

As Shag pointed out, though, every Western country is like that. Why is America unique in having citizens who insist on being considered another nationality? I can understand it coming from the children of immigrants, but not from someone whose parents and grandparents were born in the US.

America is also younger than those other countries. There is still some memory of where people's ancestors emigrated from and some people are interested in where they came from.
What's the point in a lot of things that we talk about? Its just something to share I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom