My Grandma Passed Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
I guess the title says it all. It's not a real big or sad deal. She has not been well for a few months now. It seemed like Liesje and I would get an e-mail every weekend saying, "she's not doing well, this could be it..."

My Grandma was real active until about a year or so ago. Like, she would go out with her friends for breakfast or movies. Even when she was told she couldn't drive any more, she would somehow have new flower pots on her front deck...or Wallgreen's bags on her counters. Then, her friends got to the point that they couldn't go out anymore, or even passed away. Add the fact that my Grandpa died 7 years ago and she had decided in her mind, it was time.

For the last 2 months, she has had to lay in bed most days. She was put on morphine for significant pain and her heart was not doing well. She also had some situations where she was found injured after somehow falling out of a wheel chair, or just curled up into the fetal position because of the pain.

Needless to say, it was time. Last time we visited her, she kept saying, "I pray every night to God asking him if he would just take me from this shit world." :) Coming from my very religious Grandma, this was pretty funny. But, I guess her prayer has been answered.

Thanks guys,
Phil

Sorry to hear this Phil. :hug:

Kinda freaks me out a bit, too. My grandmother passed away three hours ago. She was also on morfine and just laying in bed waiting for it to be over... Small world I guess..

Very sorry for your loss.

My best to you and your family. :hug:

I'm sorry for your loss, both Phil and Galeongirl. This is rough stuff, no matter how you shake it. Take comfort in the fact that you have friends who know what you are going through, and that you will see them again some day. I know some people don't believe that, but I do! :hug::hug:

Very sorry for both families...Phil, how old was grandma???

She was 93 years old. :)

Today was the funeral. It was nice to see all the extended family the last couple days. It's kind of sad when you think about it though. With both Grandma and Grandpa gone, it will be more difficult to see each other.

But it was a good day. It was hard at times, but really it was a celebration of my Grandma's life.

Thanks all for your kind words.

p.s. You're right, MissVelvetDress - it is a big deal. I didn't mean that I didn't think it was a big deal. I just wanted you all not to feel so terrible for me and Liesje. It is not easier just because she was not well. It just makes you more prepared I guess. But yes, it was a big deal and I miss her dearly.

I just noticed this, Phil. I'm sorry to hear :hug: My grandma is 93 as well and although I know she's coming to the end of her life, it's sad to imagine life without her. :hug:s again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom