My first confession.....Angel's confession about Robbie Williams inspired me....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiki

New Yorker
mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it
Um....ok I like Robbie Williams too, but that one I'm not so embarrassed about.

My confession---I like Savage Garden. Well I did like them before they broke up.

However now I get made fun of by a certain close friend, who tells me that they came out and said they were gay while they were on VH1, and that was the reason for the bands break up.

I don't believe it, and even if they were gay-so what? I still like them....but yeah, thats my first confession.:(

I do not understand why they would break up by saying they were gay. That should have no bearing on the band, unless the recrd company dropped them because they wer the apple of many girls' eyes.

You should not be ashamed of music or bands you like.
I am sure this friend that makes fun of you likes some "embarrassing" music him/herself...

OK, being a huge Savage Garden fan, I feel I have to set the record straight, so to speak. Number one, the reason they broke up was because Daniel Jones, the guitarist, really hated being famous, and in the public eye all the time. They actually officially split before the second album was released, but stayed together to do the tour and didn't tell anyone about the split. But Daniel stopped doing interviews and stuff around that time, which made people think Darren was an egomaniac, wanting all the attention for himself. After the tour, they announced they were going on hiatus, but sometime later Darren rather stupidly let slip to a reporter that they didn't intend to record anything else together, so then there was a big deal about him not consulting with Dan before announcing it, blah blah etc, and Daniel was a bit annoyed about all that. But Darren didn't intend to let it happen that way. The reporter had told him he wouldn't release the info till after the band had, as they were intending to soon. so basically there was a whole lot of confusion about that. Did any of that last bit make sense??

So basically that's why they split. Dan is now doing producing work, which suits him as he's not in the public eye, and has also formed his own record label. And Darren has a solo album out.

And to the best of my knowledge, neither of them are gay. Daniel has a girlfriend from some Aussie pop group, and Darren used to be married, but his marriage broke up after undergoing a lot of strain when they became famous. Quite sad really. I used to regularly visit an SG messageboard, and there were always people asking whether they were gay. it's a common rumour. That whole thing your friend said about VH1 is a load of crap. Someone on the SG board would have mentioned it, but I've never heard it before. Not that I would give a damn if they were gay of course, but I really don't think they are. Actually, having said that I would be rather annoyed with Darren if he were, because he comes across as the nicest sweetest guy in the world, and usually all the wonderful guys are gay. *sigh* Him being staight shows that there is hope for womenkind yet! (No offence to any straight interference guys, because I'm sure you are all lovely too :))

And another thing, in case you hadn't guessed already - I LOVE Savage Garden. I don't usually like pop music, because most of it's crap, but they are one of the exceptions to the rule! They are my one pop music weakness. The whole genre of pop has become so associated with trashy manufactured stuff that people forget there is actually some great pop out there. Don't be ashamed of liking them. I was obsessed with them for about a year and I'm not ashamed! SG wrote some fantastic stuff. Download the b side called "Mine" if you haven't heard it - it's possibly my fave SG song ever. (It was actually included on the aussie version of the 1st album, but the rest of the world got "Promises" instead, which is trash compared to that)

Actually, I have SG to thank for my U2 obsession as well. They were my favorite band before U2, and I was as obsessed with them as I am with U2 now. I knew Darren adored U2, so I picked up ATYCLB and the rest is history :D

Anyway, I think I'll shut up now. I've rambled for long enough :D
Hope I've cleared a few things up!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom