My "E-E-G" and pyschotic breakdown. (Personal Story)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And now its time for the 'let's watch fox talk with himself' game.

I don't know about psychotic breakdown... I've had a few neurotic ones, I suppose... many more existential quandries... The most severe break down I had was one time in highschool either at the end of grade 11 or the end of grade 12 (before I started grade 13 aka OAC, which has since been discontinued), at the peak of my misery, I barricaded myself in my room with a bookshelf and hid in my closet for 3 days. Didn't eat, snuck to get water and use the washroom during the rare times people weren't home, and spent most of that time crying like mad. I hated. I felt excitement. I wanted to kill. I wanted to die. I wanted to love. I wanted to know. I wanted to forget. I wanted to have everything and nothing all at once. I wanted power. I wanted to drink life until I could imbibe no more. I wanted to make things easier and still see all the rewards of labour. I wanted to give it all up for one sweet moment without misery. I didn't know what I wanted. I wanted to understand...

I can't even sit and watch tv for an hour, but managed to sit amidst boxes and clothes all day, sleep, and do it again for another 2 days... :|

It was partly the culmination of years of pent up hostility towards my peers for the way I was treated (for the names I was called, the things that they threw, the damages they caused), partly hostility towards myself for allowing it to go on, partly hostility towards the system I was trapped in (the school system makes children impotent to deal with problems that they face; no matter what they do, they effectively face punishment from someone's hand). Being trapped within systems I hate is something that I still deal with and struggle with on a frequent basis... But it's life. Life is a struggle. It's been a matter of choices, or lack thereof... And making the right choices if given the opportunity... but, before one can make the right choice, one has to know and understand what 'right' is, in a more meaningful sense than obeying what definitions they've been given. I looked at my world and the values that were set out did not match up with the actions I saw taking place; but, these values also said people are good, and yet so many were clearly not; something had to break here. So much hypocracy. So much wickedness and ugliness in a place so supposedly beautiful and wonderous. The world became polluted and corrupted for me; a place where everything was toxic, dank, reeking, and wretched. Something needed restructuring. As it turned out, it was apparently my mind. A single person cannot break the world, no matter how stubborn and well-intentioned they are -- the world breaks them.

I couldn't live in denial of the realities of life, though I wanted to (and this is not to say that the world is a dank, wretched, filthy slimepit not fit for man nor beast; quite the opposite, I now choose to believe). I couldn't shrug it all off and be happy and 'do the right thing' when I no longer saw any motivation, and no longer even saw what it was that was 'right'. Nobody seemed to be punished for their misdeeds. Nobody seemed to be rewarded for their goodness. There's no safety in numbers for the people doing whatever they pleased, some were punished and some were not. There was no victory for the doers of right, they suffered needlessly, were punished wrongly, or sometimes found some sort of reward. As far as I could tell, it was a free-for-all, every man for himself. Identity was meaningless. There was no order, only chaos. This continued stress on all the organization forced upon my life I contemplated, from birth to that moment, I sat bewildered as children often do as the out-of-control mechanations of life swallow them up and incorporate them unquestioningly; all this chaos in a place that was supposed to be ordered and work a certain way. All I'd ever been was stepped on, used, and taken advantage of because I put my faith into people's alleged goodness. I took a sharp turn towards the pessimistic, I recall, as I got closer to my breakdown... it happened slowly... little things first... then bigger... then open denials of reality at large, escaping into video games and the magical realm of the internet, and books, and music... Anything to prevent my bubble from bursting.

Thank God I made that mistake when I was young and not when there would've been no safety net to catch me when I fell -- because the bubble will burst.

In many ways, I'm still trying to accept the reality of the world in which we are all completely powerless. Its 1% what kind of person you are, and 99% chance... and what makes or breaks that 1% is not whether you're good or bad, smart or stupid, strong or weak, but how you act in the face of the changing circumstances that will always surround your life. All those things are important, of course, but if you don't prove your salt on life's battlefield, you're just another casualty. We all die, but we all should choose how - and it's not one final choice, it's a lifetime of action. Whether we enjoy our lives or not is entirely up to us, no matter what life throws at us. There's good in everything. Life might be violence, but violence can be as beautiful as anything else.

I was not content simply believing this on someone else's word, though. Partly because that was my problem in the first place. Partly because it wouldn't have been as meaningful, I still wouldnt have 'got it'. I had to do it the hard way. I don't just mean '3 days of crying'. I mean 3 years of mentally reconstituting myself afterwards - and indeed, I had to do it myself, to be free of falling into the same traps. I mean, I had help... I had my family there to support me, just as they always had... but it was different. More meaningful. They weren't my competition or setting me up for a fall or sowers of deceit. They were actually proper family.

Looking back, I'd say I was definitely in a state of derangement, for thinking the things that I did, maybe even being the person I was... But I don't know. I'm not even 100% sure I'm on the right path now, but I think I'm heading in a good general direction. Just one of those things I guess. Blind following the blind, ship of fools sort of thing.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
And now its time for the 'let's watch fox talk with himself' game.

I don't know about psychotic breakdown... I've had a few neurotic ones, I suppose... many more existential quandries... The most severe break down I had was one time in highschool either at the end of grade 11 or the end of grade 12 (before I started grade 13 aka OAC, which has since been discontinued), at the peak of my misery, I barricaded myself in my room with a bookshelf and hid in my closet for 3 days. Didn't eat, snuck to get water and use the washroom during the rare times people weren't home, and spent most of that time crying like mad. I hated. I felt excitement. I wanted to kill. I wanted to die. I wanted to love. I wanted to know. I wanted to forget. I wanted to have everything and nothing all at once. I wanted power. I wanted to drink life until I could imbibe no more. I wanted to make things easier and still see all the rewards of labour. I wanted to give it all up for one sweet moment without misery. I didn't know what I wanted. I wanted to understand...

I can't even sit and watch tv for an hour, but managed to sit amidst boxes and clothes all day, sleep, and do it again for another 2 days... :|

It was partly the culmination of years of pent up hostility towards my peers for the way I was treated (for the names I was called, the things that they threw, the damages they caused), partly hostility towards myself for allowing it to go on, partly hostility towards the system I was trapped in (the school system makes children impotent to deal with problems that they face; no matter what they do, they effectively face punishment from someone's hand). Being trapped within systems I hate is something that I still deal with and struggle with on a frequent basis... But it's life. Life is a struggle. It's been a matter of choices, or lack thereof... And making the right choices if given the opportunity... but, before one can make the right choice, one has to know and understand what 'right' is, in a more meaningful sense than obeying what definitions they've been given. I looked at my world and the values that were set out did not match up with the actions I saw taking place; but, these values also said people are good, and yet so many were clearly not; something had to break here. So much hypocracy. So much wickedness and ugliness in a place so supposedly beautiful and wonderous. The world became polluted and corrupted for me; a place where everything was toxic, dank, reeking, and wretched. Something needed restructuring. As it turned out, it was apparently my mind. A single person cannot break the world, no matter how stubborn and well-intentioned they are -- the world breaks them.

I couldn't live in denial of the realities of life, though I wanted to (and this is not to say that the world is a dank, wretched, filthy slimepit not fit for man nor beast; quite the opposite, I now choose to believe). I couldn't shrug it all off and be happy and 'do the right thing' when I no longer saw any motivation, and no longer even saw what it was that was 'right'. Nobody seemed to be punished for their misdeeds. Nobody seemed to be rewarded for their goodness. There's no safety in numbers for the people doing whatever they pleased, some were punished and some were not. There was no victory for the doers of right, they suffered needlessly, were punished wrongly, or sometimes found some sort of reward. As far as I could tell, it was a free-for-all, every man for himself. Identity was meaningless. There was no order, only chaos. This continued stress on all the organization forced upon my life I contemplated, from birth to that moment, I sat bewildered as children often do as the out-of-control mechanations of life swallow them up and incorporate them unquestioningly; all this chaos in a place that was supposed to be ordered and work a certain way. All I'd ever been was stepped on, used, and taken advantage of because I put my faith into people's alleged goodness. I took a sharp turn towards the pessimistic, I recall, as I got closer to my breakdown... it happened slowly... little things first... then bigger... then open denials of reality at large, escaping into video games and the magical realm of the internet, and books, and music... Anything to prevent my bubble from bursting.

Thank God I made that mistake when I was young and not when there would've been no safety net to catch me when I fell -- because the bubble will burst.

In many ways, I'm still trying to accept the reality of the world in which we are all completely powerless. Its 1% what kind of person you are, and 99% chance... and what makes or breaks that 1% is not whether you're good or bad, smart or stupid, strong or weak, but how you act in the face of the changing circumstances that will always surround your life. All those things are important, of course, but if you don't prove your salt on life's battlefield, you're just another casualty. We all die, but we all should choose how - and it's not one final choice, it's a lifetime of action. Whether we enjoy our lives or not is entirely up to us, no matter what life throws at us. There's good in everything. Life might be violence, but violence can be as beautiful as anything else.

I was not content simply believing this on someone else's word, though. Partly because that was my problem in the first place. Partly because it wouldn't have been as meaningful, I still wouldnt have 'got it'. I had to do it the hard way. I don't just mean '3 days of crying'. I mean 3 years of mentally reconstituting myself afterwards - and indeed, I had to do it myself, to be free of falling into the same traps. I mean, I had help... I had my family there to support me, just as they always had... but it was different. More meaningful. They weren't my competition or setting me up for a fall or sowers of deceit. They were actually proper family.

Looking back, I'd say I was definitely in a state of derangement, for thinking the things that I did, maybe even being the person I was... But I don't know. I'm not even 100% sure I'm on the right path now, but I think I'm heading in a good general direction. Just one of those things I guess. Blind following the blind, ship of fools sort of thing.

Wow. Nice post. I feel for you, all the struggles and hardship you've been through. We have to carry each other. :hug:

Your breakdown, if you'll allow me to diagnose it, seems to have been a result of much pent up hostility and anger and a desire to believe that things are right. Everybody goes through that to an extent; your mental state at the time seemed to have taken it to an extreme level though, hence the sudden breakdown. I sure hope you feel better now though! :)

My breakdown was nothing like that. It was a couple months of getting lost in other worldly matters, far out of touch from reality. Like I said, I believed I was Jesus for a month, and even contemplated death. One morning, for hours on end, I pushed my figners and nails THROUGH my palms, as if I was being nailed to the cross, and my fingers were almost pertruding from the other side, believe it or not! Now, my palms always feel weird and there's strange fingerprints on the area that I stuck my fingers into. Might have caused myself some extensive nerve damage on top of that...

But that wasn't the worst of it. One thing I must share with anyone who thinks they're on the verge of a pyschotic, delusional breakdown: DO NOT WATCH TV (even if U2 say the opposite). It will only make things worse. I'll share an example.

One day, durring my breakdown, my father and I were watching Leave It To Beaver. But this was no ordinary episode, at least to me it wasn't. Slowly, the characters started growing more and more hair all over their body, their ears got longer, and Beaver and his friend kept talking about "Going Home"...which, to me, I thought was Heaven. Of course, my dad swears he doesn't remember any of this, but I saw what I saw.

Another example. My sister and I watched Farenheit 9/11 towards the end of my breakdown. Good movie, in retrospect, but at the time I was thinking of other things. Time seemed to slow to a standstill each time George W. Bush was on screen, and I thought by yelling and screaming at the guy, I could change the course of history and go back in time to prevent September 11th from ever happening (!!!). Bizarre and strange, yes, but it seemed so real at the time. My sister swears I would constantly point my index finger at Bush and tell him "We could prevent this."

I also thought I had a bomb within my chest for several days. Far be it to say, those two months of hell has destroyed my life and now, even a year later, I'm still picking up the pieces.

I hope my story put a perspective on things, as though both our breakdowns were terrible, it looks like they're very different experiences. Both mine and yours is a heavy burden we carry on our heart now, like a dead weight you can't see. And neither of them had to even happen, unfortunately. Well, maybe not so much yours...that was slowly built up, it sounds like.

Just hang in there, and I will, too! :)

Wow, these have been some amazing posts.

Thank you for sharing!

I don't know if I have had a breakdown or not, I am not sure. I've been throuhg so many stanges, and periods of change, I know that. I can relate to FOX's struggles in youth, questioning people and their motives and how they act, and the idea of being exploited, and things of that nature.

One thing I really like about the internet is that it allows me to talk about things like this and express some things, because without it, there would be very little in the way of such things. The alienation for me, and perhaps a good deal of self alienation, is profound, and it plays a big part in my life right now. I've realized I can either ignore it or acnkowledge it. But the one thing I cannot do is make it dissapear or change it - not yet, anyways.

But the time will come...

Excellent posts :)

or spring.....

well, it;s about 2 am in the morning here. I'm feeling well enough. I'm talking with some people about some things, and I think I am going to document my own "tao", or my own way, or my own set of principles about all things i life. I would say my own religion, but I think it is for me only, and I wouldn't expect otehr people to want to hear about it

(kind of like I wouldn't expect anyone to care about it just after reading this post thus far)

But anyhow, I am eating some very fine dinner rolls. Really good stuff.

I'm going ot be dead tired tomorrow, but I slept a lot over the wwkend so it should be alright Not looking forward to gym, though. For some reason, softball never worked for me. Lots of bad memories... and those goons will make me captain again..... ugh......

well whatever.

I should let other people speak and not jut at the oppertunity...

hows eveyrone else doing?

I'm listening to California Girls by the Beach Boys and in generally good spirits, thanks. How's everyone else?

I think I will try out a new schedual: Stay up late, and go to sleep when I get home from school

It actually seems to work out quite well for me, because I am much more relaxed and attentive, and involved in school later when I am up longer. When I wake up at 5:30 and basically get into school at 7:15 every day, it doesn't seem to work. And I think I am so heavily a night person that I should consider working the night shft over the summer. So yeah, my new strategy is, come home from school, go to sleep, wake up, and then do my homework, etc.

And since my senior year is winding down, it is kind of fun to change it up a little and explore different things like that. I with exception to one more Mod, one final paper, one annotated bibliography, and then an essay (upon which I will administer the full force of my modernism wisdom), the year is basically over..... oh yeah, and the darn physics stuff... and the math "final",hah....

So that's my story today. I'll probably be online at really differnt times, but so be it.

...Oh yeah, and Zoo seemed a little quiet today.....

PopMartian33107 said:
Anyway, in July of 2004, I had a serious pyschotic breakdown. The warning signs had come before July: I was seeing colors, my head would hurt, bizarre thoughts popped into my mind, etc.

I’ve been suffering from a psychological (and physical) breakdown since spring of 2003 and I haven’t completely recovered from it. How could I with all the bizarre stuff that’s been happening to me since them? I’m gonna spare you the details since they’re really depressing, and because this is your thread.
What I meant to tell you is that I know how you must be feeling and that I will keep you in mind everytime I pray for to have the strength to get my life on track again.
I hope everything goes well for you.

Last edited:
Re: Re: My "E-E-G" and pyschotic breakdown. (Personal Story)

LostAtMoon said:

I’ve been suffering from a psychological (and physical) breakdown since spring of 2003 and I haven’t completely recovered from it. How could I with all the bizarre stuff that’s been happening to me since them? I’m gonna spare you the details since they’re really depressing, and because this is your thread.
What I meant to tell you is that I know how you must be feeling and that I will keep you in mind everytime I pray for to have the strength to get my life on track again.
I hope everything goes well for you.

Hi! :wave:

Wow, that's quite strange that yours started in spring of 2003...because mine started in about the fall of that same year: headaches, colors, other weird symptoms...it wasn't until the summer of 2004 that I experienced my episode, however. I have not fully recovered, either; even though it's been a year since the breakdown (and almost two years since the original symptoms occurred), I still only feel about half-way there.

Please share with us what is going on in your world. It would not only make ME feel better to talk to someone else who has had a pyschotic breakdown, but it also may make YOU feel better too, which is most important! :)

I would love to talk to another person who went through the same ordeal, share what kind of experiences we've had...that's if, you're comfortable doing so. A pychotic breakdown is a scary thing, I know. If you haven't experienced a full-on psychotic episode yet, I would immediately go to the Doctor, just to be sure.

Hang in there, and you're in my prayers, too! :)

Back
Top Bottom